Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Think I mentioned this in another thread but there are some (mostly theatrical) Japanese anime that can rival Disney and DreamWorks at a fraction of the budget (Think usually around $20 million). Although occasionally TV shows and OAVs have also had pretty good animation as well, or at least hide some of the shortcomings really well.

So the same could extend to live action films as well I think.

Also some of the most groundbreaking FX in 70s-80s American films was done on relatively small budgets. Star Wars only cost around $10 million. Star Trek TWOK used some revolutionary CG effects but was also relatively cheap (Possibly because it used some stock footage from The Motion Picture in the film's first half to save money). Earlier James Cameron films like TERMINATOR and ALIENS were made for fairly low budgets but the animatronics by Stan Winston and some CG led to Terminator Jurassic Park's breakthroughs etc.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

If there is a sequel, I would love to see Yamazaki do a very serious take on Mechagodzilla or Destoroyah. Either one of those monsters could work in his corner of the Minus One world.

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    Well, either that, or Disney and WB and the others all make unbelievably inefficient movies, wasting most of the money on stuff like re-shoots, embezzlement, and the always important cocaine budget.
    I'm convinced it's the embezzlement and the cocaine and the sex workers. I really want to know how Yamazaki made those sequences with spoilers:
    the warships fighting Godzilla in the water and that rampage in Tokyo
    end of spoilers with the budget that he had. Just amazing.
    Last edited by Android 17; 12-08-2023 at 10:05 AM.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Android 17 View Post
    If there is a sequel, I would love to see Yamazaki do a very serious take on Mechagodzilla or Destoroyah. Either one of those monsters could work in his corner of the Minus One world.
    I think Mecha Godzilla would be technological weird given the real world setting of Minus One (radioactive monsters excepted) and one key element is missing for Destoroyah to show up.
    Sounds perfect.

Please no MechGodzilla, no Godzooki, no legion of Kadzu, keep it grounded. The American version has done enough of that stupid crap.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Mighty Member

the director said that the hardest part of production was the CGI water.... which kinda makes me think...

a lot of the ships in the film are available in easily acquired premade scale models. you could buy a couple of pretty damned accurate 1/350 scale models and then use post-production process shots and CGI to do some of this stuff. I'm not saying it would be easy... but, as a guy who used to make scale models for fun... there ARE ways. you could even use scale models for things that explode. you could just add the fire effects and other items afterwards.

I believe the Shinden replica is in a museum right now... and they could have used flying RC models that only cost a couple of hundred bucks (which, honestly, would be cheaper than CGI in some respects)

I do hope that when this comes out on DVD/Bluray (yes, I still get those!) that they have a bunch of behind-the-scenes extras.

As much as I love these characters, I feel like a sequel would cheapen it. I'd rather they just focus on completely new stand alone movies of this caliber.
    "The White Queen welcomes you, TO DIE!"

I would like to see a sequel take place in 1954, the year of the original movie. Noriko and Koichi are married, Akiko is a teenager, and he has a big position the result of saving Japan. Tokyo is rebuilt when Godzilla rises from the depths and he must get the team together to stop it.
    But with the teaser of Noriko having some affliction, I think they will pick up the sequel right when this one ends.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Totoro Man View Post
    the director said that the hardest part of production was the CGI water.... which kinda makes me think...

a lot of the ships in the film are available in easily acquired premade scale models. you could buy a couple of pretty damned accurate 1/350 scale models and then use post-production process shots and CGI to do some of this stuff. I'm not saying it would be easy... but, as a guy who used to make scale models for fun... there ARE ways. you could even use scale models for things that explode. you could just add the fire effects and other items afterwards.

I believe the Shinden replica is in a museum right now... and they could have used flying RC models that only cost a couple of hundred bucks (which, honestly, would be cheaper than CGI in some respects)

I do hope that when this comes out on DVD/Bluray (yes, I still get those!) that they have a bunch of behind-the-scenes extras.
    Sounds like it. Seeing it tonight, but from what I've seen so far, I'd love to know how he did it on that budget.

Mighty Member

Nolan used 1/3rd scale remote controlled replicas for some of the air combat sequences in Dunkirk. (which had some of the best cinematic dogfights I've seen in a recent film. they behaved like actual aircraft, which was a nice change of pace!)

I was thinking that with the judicious use of RC models, flying drone cameras, and postproduction that you COULD make fairly decent set pieces (using ships) for a tiny fraction of the money it would take to do this sort of thing in CGI. (again, this is me speculating. if they did EVERYTHING with CGI then it's even more impressive)

I'm not sure that I want a sequel... it's like, making a sequel to "Jaws" or "the Exorcist. those were great movies that didn't need any sequels!

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    Sounds like it. Seeing it tonight, but from what I've seen so far, I'd love to know how he did it on that budget.
    Don't hold your breath on BTS stuff. The Shin disc only had one featurette, trailers, and an interview. My fingers are crossed but there's scant few Godzilla discs that have any BTS footage.
    Nolan used 1/3rd scale remote controlled replicas for some of the air combat sequences in Dunkirk. (which had some of the best cinematic dogfights I've seen in a recent film. they behaved like actual aircraft, which was a nice change of pace!)

I was thinking that with the judicious use of RC models, flying drone cameras, and postproduction that you COULD make fairly decent set pieces (using ships) for a tiny fraction of the money it would take to do this sort of thing in CGI. (again, this is me speculating. if they did EVERYTHING with CGI then it's even more impressive)

I'm not sure that I want a sequel... it's like, making a sequel to "Jaws" or "the Exorcist. those were great movies that didn't need any sequels!
    At 38 films and counting, there will be a sequel of some sort.

I'd be down with this direction. I'm sure they'd do monster fights well. I am slowly forming the opinion of Minus One universe being a fertile ground for a new Toho verse, which I think could be very diverse in ideas as opposed to a Shin verse that IMHO would have fairly limited ideas.

Lots of models and green screen were used in Minus One. CG was rarely pure and often touch-up. This is the best BTS of a Big G film I've seen in years. There's been roughly 40 of these.

Last edited by BeastieRunner; 12-09-2023 at 06:02 PM.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Might be going a bit OT here but Japan/Toho made an interesting 'answer' to those films (and intended as such) with Hausu, a personal favorite.

Basically it's a surreal, bizzare horror film about a girl and her friends (all named after their personalities) who decide to visit her aunt for Summer vacation, only to find out said Aunt and her cat is now an insane bereaved cannibal ghost possessing the house and all it's furniture (as well as the local watermelon stand too)
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    Might be going a bit OT here but Japan/Toho made an interesting 'answer' to those films (and intended as such) with Hausu, a personal favorite.

Basically it's a surreal, bizzare horror film about a girl and her friends (all named after their personalities) who decide to visit her aunt for Summer vacation, only to find out said Aunt and her cat is now an insane bereaved cannibal ghost possessing the house and all it's furniture (as well as the local watermelon stand too)
    *Adds to the que*

Thanks!
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Astonishing Member Godzilla2099's Avatar

Just got back from seeing it with my brother. We saw it in 4DX

This wasn't just a movie, this was a whole different experience all together. Normally if I see a a picture, even if it was good, I'd say something like "Probably would have been better if they'd have done this.." but I honestly couldn't think of anything to improve it. This was so well done, even my brother who is barely a fan of Godzilla said the same thing. Never has there been a Godzilla Movie where I've cared so much about the human cast. The story, acting, characters, plot twists, pacing, plan on how to combat Godzilla...all perfect.

I think this movie was made for 4dx. The way the chairs shook at how we got sprayed during the boat fights, it felt like we were really there!

As for a sequel, I'm with Vegeta on this one. As much as I loved this cast and characters, I think a sequel would cheapen the impact. If one was made, set it much further into the future where the main characters are elderly.

And for Sentai Fans, Yuki Yamada was a main character. Didn't recognize him at first but then I was like "Damn, that's Gokai Blue"

Overall: One of the Best Movies I've seen in my lifetime. This really deserves to be seen by more viewers.
    Last edited by Godzilla2099; 12-10-2023 at 03:02 PM.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vegeta View Post
    As much as I love these characters, I feel like a sequel would cheapen it. I'd rather they just focus on completely new stand alone movies of this caliber.
    It ended with a sequel hook. If they tend on making a standalone then they shouldn't leave the door open for more.

Astonishing Member Godzilla2099's Avatar

I can't help but wonder in the beginning on Odo Island if those 20mm guns on the plane would do the necessary damage?