Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Usually when critics hype up a film my expectations get too high and I am mildly let down. Not so with this movie. It may be my favorite of the franchise. I loved the human characters so much in this film (Koichi, Noriko, Doc, etc.) and was very invested in their survival. (I may have shed a tear or two) I like seeing regular people trying to survive as opposed to secret super cool government agent types (like the Monarch organization stuff in the American films). Godzilla was terrifying (I saw it in Imax and the 2 uses of the classic "Godzilla theme" were intense) and the effects were amazing, surprising since the budget was so far below most American blockbusters.
    Last edited by Vegeta; 12-05-2023 at 08:12 PM.
    "The White Queen welcomes you, TO DIE!"

spoilers:

What is up with her neck? I only caught a glimpse as I was reading but what? At first I thought something pertaining to Monarch but Monarch is not associated with Japanese Godzilla movies. So then I’m at a loss unless minus one is NOT a one off movie and it’s set for sequels. Some sort of Radiation that will make human zillas ? Wasn’t that a think in another Godzilla movie?
    Anyway, thoughts?
    end of spoilers
    Last edited by krazijoe; 12-05-2023 at 11:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by krazijoe View Post
    spoilers:

What is up with her neck? I only caught a glimpse as I was reading but what? At first I thought something pertaining to Monarch but Monarch is not associated with Japanese Godzilla movies. So then I’m at a loss unless minus one is NOT a one off movie and it’s set for sequels. Some sort of Radiation that will make human zillas ? Wasn’t that a think in another Godzilla movie?
    Anyway, thoughts?
    end of spoilers
    I wrote about it in my spoiler post.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Fantastic Member

This was maybe the best Kaiju movie ever made...it's up there with Daimajin and Rodan.

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    Speaking of that last one, I have the Criterion Collection version which has the original 1954 Gojira with subtitles, plus the 1956 US version "Godzilla, King of the Monsters", which is in English and pointlessly has Raymond Burr because they thought "too many Japanese people in the Japanese movie for American audiences to like". The Japanese original is 100 time better than the Burr version IMO, much tighter and more focused on the horror part of the story. Sometimes I wonder about American execs.

I shall see Minus One this week sometime, and eagerly anticipate it replacing Gojira at the top of my all-time Godzilla movie list.
    I kind of have some nostalgia for 1984/Return of Godzilla, although I haven't seen the American version with Burr added/some alterations to the story (and of course there was the Dr. Pepper product placement) in a while (It wasn't included on the recent blu-ray, just a new dub).

Think it has some pretty good action sequences and a unique soundtrack, sort of gives the whole film a sense of dread.

The suit is sort of an interesting transitional form between the more reptilian/Dinosaur design of the late 60s/70s Godzilla and the 90's version which seems to have a more Mammalian/Dragon look.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

They extended the theatrical run in the US!

I might go again.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Mighty Member

"Godzilla Minus One" was quite good. might be the best crafted Godzilla movie I've ever seen.... and no, that's not just the recency bias kicking in. I saw a double-interview where Gareth Edwards said he was jealous of this film... and people (on youtube) sorta jumped on on him and said, "you could have made this movie if you really wanted to..."
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZS2UVde-NKw

to which I would say "no. absolutely not. this is a profoundly Japanese movie and deals with the characters, narrative, and themes in a way that would be utterly meaningless for a lot of Americans."

there is simply no US-based narrative that could compare. the survivor guilt from WW2 and the lingering fear of attachment that the main character feels is something that COULD be done in a US film... but it works so much better in this case because Japan lost the war that it started. it suffered terribly... and yet, in a way, Godzilla is a form of punishment for their national hubris.

Godzilla somehow manages to symbolize the chaos and horror of nature, war, and even aspects of Japanese culture at the same time.

it's also one of the only films to address WHY nobody else (the US or the Soviets) got involved.

I was kinda hoping that the legendary Typhoon Cobra and Louise would be a result of Godzilla... but, alas, it was not to be.
    https://ww2db.com/battle_spec.php?battle_id=79

I could easily imagine Godzilla wreaking this level of havoc:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Typhoon_Louise_(1945)
    https://www.history.navy.mil/researc...ober-1945.html
    A total of 12 ships were sunk, 222 grounded, and 32 damaged beyond the ability of ships' companies to repair.

I know some people complained that this was a lame art-house version of Godzilla... but, the thing is, it really worked for me. it's like, I dunno, the "Bladerunner" of Godzilla movies (eh, maybe more of "Batman Begins", I guess). the focus on personal and national guilt permeates the film. I enjoyed it. might even consider watching it again if it's still in theaters.

as a life-long aviation nerd I loved that they used a Kyushu J7W Shinden to help defeat Big G. that full scale replica looked pretty damn good.

I quibbled with a few minor details... but I walked away one very satisfied film-goer.

it was really good. I definitely plan on adding this to my collection.
    Last edited by Totoro Man; 12-06-2023 at 10:39 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    I kind of have some nostalgia for 1984/Return of Godzilla, although I haven't seen the American version with Burr added/some alterations to the story (and of course there was the Dr. Pepper product placement) in a while (It wasn't included on the recent blu-ray, just a new dub).

Think it has some pretty good action sequences and a unique soundtrack, sort of gives the whole film a sense of dread.

The suit is sort of an interesting transitional form between the more reptilian/Dinosaur design of the late 60s/70s Godzilla and the 90's version which seems to have a more Mammalian/Dragon look.
    Don't forget the Broderick "My First Iguana" one. Or maybe we all should forget that one?

^Heard the cartoon wasn't too bad.

Apart from the Burr inserts, 1984's pretty much otherwise a Japanese film with some interesting stuff dealing with the cold war (altered for the American release).

The opening scenes on the fishing boat, despite the Sea Louse monster itself being dodgy, were pretty much solid nightmare fuel with the desiccated crewman.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

The movie window has been expanded for minus one with more screenings also. It gets another week. Also looks like some people are doing double features this weekend of minus one and Boy and heron.

Just got back. Yes, it is one of the best Big G movies made, right up there with Shin, maybe better. There is a ton of Godzilla in this, along with more real human drama in 5 minutes than the last 3 American made movies had all together. I can't see how this only cost $15 million and look so good. KOM cost 12X as much and doesn't look this good. Somebody is lying about the money
    I hope we get a sequel, which should be 10 years later, around the time of the first Godzilla movie.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Just got back. Yes, it is one of the best Big G movies made, right up there with Shin, maybe better. There is a ton of Godzilla in this, along with more real human drama in 5 minutes than the last 3 American made movies had all together. I can't see how this only cost $15 million and look so good. KOM cost 12X as much and doesn't look this good. Somebody is lying about the money
    I hope we get a sequel, which should be 10 years later, around the time of the first Godzilla movie.
    Minus One was rumored to be a new continuity with more monsters like the Heisei Era.

Yamazaki is down for more.

It made it's budget on USD alone, and is up to $50M now.

Pretty sure we're gonna get more.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Well, either that, or Disney and WB and the others all make unbelievably inefficient movies, wasting most of the money on stuff like re-shoots, embezzlement, and the always important cocaine budget.

It made it's budget on USD alone, and is up to $50M now.
    It already made its full budget back in japan alone so rest of the world it just needs to make that countries marketing and rest is free money!

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    Well, either that, or Disney and WB and the others all make unbelievably inefficient movies, wasting most of the money on stuff like re-shoots, embezzlement, and the always important cocaine budget.
    Cocaine is not a big thing in Hollywood any more. They are all on Ozempic.

As far as budgets, part of the big budget is actor and director salaries, which can be tens of millions. But also who they pay. A lot of the work is done by other parts of the company, so when Disney Films pays Disney Sets division $25 million to build elaborate sets, the movie might not make it's budget back, but Disney already got paid.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!