Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Quote Originally Posted by Angilasman View Post
    Speaking of (spoiler!) the pre-mutation Godzilla we see in the beginning; as a longtime fan that was a wild thing to see. In '54 Godzilla was based on current ideas about what dinosaurs looked like. Toho apparently was looking at the famous Life Magazine dinosaur issue! In the '80s when our ideas about dinosaurs looking more birdlike began to take hold the idea of redesigning a more dinosaur-like Godzilla has been bouncing around. Various pieces of concept art for movies made and unmade have toyed with the idea, but it never came to pass - to say nothing of a ton of fan art. Finally seeing it in a movie was surreal!
    I'll be honest- when I saw Proto-Godzilla, I was worried. I didn't like the look at all, because to me it didn't look like Godzilla. When he mutated and the next we saw of him was his true form, I finally relaxed because it looked so damn good.

Toho announced a Godzilla Minus Color coming next month in Japan. A second US release may be on the horizon. The US box office has surpassed the Japanese total.

Safe to say more Toho Godzilla is on the way!
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

The black and white version of Shin Godzilla has also been playing in Japan recently and it looks pretty great. Would love to see that!

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Finally saw G:MO the other day and thought it was absolutely incredible. Not only was it a giant monster story, but a human redemption story as Koichi overcame his fear and guilt to battle Godzilla. I just found out about the black and white release, I'd like to see that as well.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Finally saw G:MO the other day and thought it was absolutely incredible. Not only was it a giant monster story, but a human redemption story as Koichi overcame his fear and guilt to battle Godzilla. I just found out about the black and white release, I'd like to see that as well.
    Hold up, there's going to be a black and white version of this too?

Good lawd.

Quote Originally Posted by AnakinFlair View Post
    I'll be honest- when I saw Proto-Godzilla, I was worried. I didn't like the look at all, because to me it didn't look like Godzilla. When he mutated and the next we saw of him was his true form, I finally relaxed because it looked so damn good.
    Thought he was a bit similar to the Jurassic Park T-rex in the way he moved and 'ate'. Which might've been intentional.

BTW that the local islanders already knew about the creature is a cool nod to the original I think.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

This is one of the best movies I've seen this year, not just a great Godzilla movie but a great movie in general

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    BTW that the local islanders already knew about the creature is a cool nod to the original I think.
    They used the same island too, Odo Island.
    Sounds perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post

I loved that. In the 1954 film there's no indication Godzilla is anything but a legend on Odo Island, and they name the monster after the legend. Similar backstory in Shin Godzilla. Happy to see the cryptid explanation in Minus One, with Godzilla being an actual thing the islanders have observed for ages.

I don't think the MonsterVerse movies mention Odo. Maybe it comes up in the new Apple show?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    You guys are all correct; this movie was amazing! I really liked this movie. The director has hinted that he's going to make another G movie; I think a sequel. I don't know how he did it for his self-disclosed $13 million. Finally got to see it last week, and it was so good. Not just the VFX, but the story and acting---I CARED about the humans for one of the first times ever in a Godzilla movie, and Godzilla was genuinely terrifying, a force of nature that was trying to kill ME personally, or at least that's how it felt.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Angilasman View Post
    I loved that. In the 1954 film there's no indication Godzilla is anything but a legend on Odo Island, and they name the monster after the legend. Similar backstory in Shin Godzilla. Happy to see the cryptid explanation in Minus One, with Godzilla being an actual thing the islanders have observed for ages.

I don't think the MonsterVerse movies mention Odo. Maybe it comes up in the new Apple show?
    The moral of the story is...never land on Odo Island. BTW, is that a real place, because if it is, I've love to visit.

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    The moral of the story is...never land on Odo Island. BTW, is that a real place, because if it is, I've love to visit.
    Sadly it's a fictional island, most likely in the Bonin Islands and/or around Aogashima as part of the Izu Islands.

I think Gojira in '54 gives the longitude and latitude.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium