Page 19 of 24 FirstFirst ... 9151617181920212223 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Slowpokeking View Post
    It depends on how well the actor looks and is he/she famous, yes. It's just how business works. But still, it's very risky to cast someone looks entirely different because it will drive off the fan base. Usually it won't work too well.

And we at least 2 nations: China and Korea directly said NO to this movie and the cast got a lot to do with it.
    Yeah, there's racism problems in China, and possibly Korea too, from what I hear.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunch of Coconuts View Post
    Yeah, there's racism problems in China, and possibly Korea too, from what I hear.
    They didn't have problem with many black lead movies.

It's not a good thing to call ppl racists when they simply ask for the character to stay faithfully, and ppl have the right not to give you $$$ when they don't like your movie.

Mighty Member

Wasn't Finn from Star Wars reduced on posters? That's a completely original character that got shafted in the Disney sequels. They did change the male lead to be the more "relatable" character (the whiny murderer) after the Force Awakens though.

Ultimate Member

It's not a good thing to call ppl racists when they simply ask for the character to stay faithfully, and ppl have the right not to give you $$$ when they don't like your movie.
    Black-led films haven't done well in Korea and China broadly speaking.

The first BP did well in China but not as well as the bigger MCU films.

There was a lot of racist propaganda around The Little Mermaid in Korea and China and their racist attitudes by some of those people in those countries doesn't speak well of them.

Even if I had a problem with Disney, I have no patience for racists anywhere in the world.

I'm sorry, but "I don't like the new Ariel because she's black, but I'm OK with white actors taking the roles of minority characters" just isn't a good look on anyone.

Glad to know where you stand, though.

Ultimate Member

Regarding The Little Mermaid, I am totally unconvinced that film would have done better with a white actress.

After GoTG, it was Disney's biggest film this year. I think it actually did was well as it did in the US because of Halle Bailey's casting.

Disney's problems go beyond casting and agendas and has a lot more to do with their dumping of all their family fare onto streaming.

Folks are just waiting for stuff on their service (hence the massive numbers for The Little Mermaid and Elemental). I suspect Wish will do numbers on streaming because people are just waiting for that stuff to come to streaming.

I'm sorry, but "I don't like the new Ariel because she's black, but I'm OK with white actors taking the roles of minority characters" just isn't a good look on anyone.

Actually it goes most with "I don't like the main character get race swap, but minor characters getting one is not too big of a deal".

And it's quite reasonable. You seems to fail to get it and keep going other directions when I made my statement clear.
    Last edited by Slowpokeking; 12-12-2023 at 06:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Black-led films haven't done well in Korea and China broadly speaking.

The first BP did well in China but not as well as the bigger MCU films.

There was a lot of racist propaganda around The Little Mermaid in Korea and China and their racist attitudes by some of those people in those countries doesn't speak well of them.

Even if I had a problem with Disney, I have no patience for racists anywhere in the world.
    Spiderverse said hello.

BP did better than GotG, Thor 1 and 2 and even IM2. I remember even the first Avengers is not much higher than it. It's silly to accuse them for racism.

Most of the attack came from the actor's looks or race swap, remind you.

Obviously you got no idea of China's market.

Yea I figured they'd at least try to be consistent about race bending no matter what but specifically making an exception for the other way around is crazy lmao. At least he's being honest though. Most people complaining about casting Bailey feel similarly about whitewashing but don't admit it because they know it'll make them look hypocritical

Quote Originally Posted by The Kid View Post
    Yea I figured they'd at least try to be consistent about race bending no matter what but specifically making an exception for the other way around is crazy lmao. At least he's being honest though. Most people complaining about casting Bailey feel similarly about whitewashing but don't admit it because they know it'll make them look hypocritical
    Stop twist others' words for it.

The mermaid is white in the tale and the Disney animated movie.

Mighty Member

They never do. Marvel whipped a race swap (black to white) with the character Thunderball (Wrecking Crew) on "She-Hulk: Attorney at Law" last year and the usual suspects didn't say one peep, yet were complaining about Heimdall (another nothing character) in 2011. It brings me back when I said they made a character black on a cartoon and my friend said "who is that?", when I said the minor character was originally white he went on a rant where I had to say "you didn't even know who that was!"
    Last edited by Mistah K88; 12-12-2023 at 06:30 PM.

Actually it goes most with "I don't like the main character get race swap, but minor characters getting one is not too big of a deal".

And it's quite reasonable. You seems to fail to get it and keep going other directions when I made my statement clear.
    Um...Johanssen's character in Ghost and the Shell is not a minor character, my dude. It's the main character.

But...but it's OK because Johanssen is "pretty," right?
    Last edited by Bunch of Coconuts; 12-12-2023 at 06:28 PM.

Um...Johanssen's character is not a minor character, my dude. It's the main character.

But...but it's OK because Johanssen is "pretty," right?
    Didn't I say that one's race swap was bad?

And didn't that movie flop as well?

It's just that some ppl might be ok with it since she's a widely recognized beauty, or her fans would go watch it since she's a big star.

Same with Halle Berry's works(Catwoman). They are big stars and big beauties, so their star power could attract some fans to counter the effect but usually it's far from enough.

Didn't I say that one's race swap was bad?
    I don't know what you think you said, but you can trace the steps on this conversation to find out what you actually said.

PS. you didn't outright say racebending the character was bad.

Yea I figured they'd at least try to be consistent about race bending no matter what but specifically making an exception for the other way around is crazy lmao.
    In fairness, the groups of people who get into in-depth arguments about these things tend to switch sides based on which direction the race bending goes.

The people who were complaining about Johannson's casting in Ghost are more likely to have been ones defending The Little Mermaid's casting, and vice versa.