Page 1 of 24 1234511 ... LastLast

Default Do you think Disney needs to make change after so many flops?

I think they must react quick.

1. Know their target audience and focus on it, it's ok to expand the audience but don't drive ppl away.
    2. Have a coherent plan, don't repeat SW's mistake.
    3. Be creative, most of their princesses are the same dopey go lucky since Tangled, it worked once but won't fit everyone.

What? No, that's crazy! In fact they need to double down on everything they've done. Attrition will win the day!

I think if they make a Dazzler movie with Taylor Swift, all will be forgiven and they will be on top again. Still.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

All the Studios are making changes. They see how the audience has changed it's viewing habits. It's hit Disney the hardest because is the biggest and very diverse in it's movie offerings. Family movies from Disney are now hitting D+ soon after release (A few months) and families are just waiting and being a little more selective as to when and what they will watch.
    MArvel and the other Disney Family of Studios will all make adjustments with budgets. Thanos is gone and with him are the crowds because Marvel is not the IT thing anymore. Wish is not a bad movie, it's a movie that parents are willing to wait until schools out for xmas or just wait till it's on D+, which may be at Xmas with the poor showing so far. And Truthfully I don't think any Disney animated movie is a "flop" it will make it's money back, just not in the theater. I mean, is Encanto a flop? It made 230 million on a 150 million budget...Though not sure why Wish's budget was 200M.
    Indiana Jones. Yeah, Flop...Marvels is a little different as it is part of an ongoing subplot and can still bring people in. IJ cannot as it is pretty much a dead IP for movies right now...AntMan, made it's money back...

But overall, yes they will change, as will everyone else as they see what is happening.

Ant-Man Quantumania made a small marginal profit at the box office. Elemental and The Little Mermaid barely managed to break even. Only GOTG volume 3 was a huge smashing success.

Disney lost a lot of money on Indiana Jones 5 and Haunted Mansion.

The Marvels' theatrical debut was terrible, in fact the lowest grossing opening for any MCU fiom ever. Wish debuted theatrically with low numbers.

Some people are blaming most of Disney flops on "woke agenda". They are family-oriented conservatives who prefer family friendly movies similar to Cinderella or Sleeping Beauty animated movie, if they can ignore the fact that Princess Aurora was suppoosed to marry Prince Philip when she turns 16. Philip was 6 years old when he meets her as an infant in her crib. If he is 6 years older than the princess, it makes him an 22-year old adult when she turns 16.

Disney's Cinderella animated film is more of a female-centric film. The movie didn't portray Cinderella as a damsel in distress waiting for a man to save her unlike Snow White or Sleeping Beauty. The prince in the movie hardly has any lines at all and he only appears in two main scenes, the dance and the wedding. The movie portrayed Cinderella as an intelligent and strong-willed woman who has managed to escape from the imprisonment by her stepmother with the help of her animal friends with whom she can communicate. In the movie, the other men like the King and the Duke are portrayed as dim-witted buffoons, who also had a few lines to speak.

Yeah, the Disney Studio needs to change direction. Bob Iger should know it already by now. Most of those movies already finished production before he was re-appointed as CEO in November 2022. So it is hardly his fault. But the bad news should be clear to him.

Quote Originally Posted by Zauriel View Post
    Ant-Man Quantumania made a small marginal profit at the box office. Elemental and The Little Mermaid barely managed to break even. Only GOTG volume 3 was a huge smashing success.

Disney lost a lot of money on Indiana Jones 5 and Haunted Mansion.

The Marvels' theatrical debut was terrible, in fact the lowest grossing opening for any MCU fiom ever. Wish debuted theatrically with low numbers.

Some people are blaming most of Disney flops on "woke agenda". They are family-oriented conservatives who prefer family friendly movies similar to Cinderella or Sleeping Beauty animated movie, if they can ignore the fact that Princess Aurora was suppoosed to marry Prince Philip when she turns 16. Philip was 6 years old when he meets her as an infant in her crib. If he is 6 years older than the princess, it makes him an 22-year old adult when she turns 16.

Disney's Cinderella animated film is more of a female-centric film. The movie didn't portray Cinderella as a damsel in distress waiting for a man to save her unlike Snow White or Sleeping Beauty. The prince in the movie hardly has any lines at all and he only appears in two main scenes, the dance and the wedding. The movie portrayed Cinderella as an intelligent and strong-willed woman who has managed to escape from the imprisonment by her stepmother with the help of her animal friends with whom she can communicate. In the movie, the other men like the King and the Duke are portrayed as dim-witted buffoons, who also had a few lines to speak.

Yeah, the Disney Studio needs to change direction. Bob Iger should know it already by now. Most of those movies already finished production before he was re-appointed as CEO in November 2022. So it is hardly his fault. But the bad news should be clear to him.
    I don't think strong willed woman would be dislike by anyone, many movies with such lead has been successful.

But ppl don't like you make one character awesome by making another character or another group bad. Or when you can't even tell a coherent story about it. That's the big problem with most of their recent flops. Also the target audience is important.

Not to say some "strong willed female" are just Mary Sue.

Till this day, I still can't believe that they handled SW ST this badly.
    Last edited by Slowpokeking; 12-01-2023 at 01:42 PM.

I really think woke agenda is just a scapegoat raised by certain people. There is no woke agenda, first of all, and second of all movies that someone could call woke have done well, like Black Panther and Wakanda Forever.

Disney has had setbacks to their plans that have seemingly caught them by surprise. Jonathan Majors issues, for one. COVID. Streaming. The Box Office becoming wildly different. Their audience getting older and raising kids instead of being kids. The drama with James Gunn which resulted in him moving to the other company. And related to that, the DCEU getting new leadership and seeming to finally be righting the boat.

Not to mention the Disney parks, while still very profitable, are becoming these boutique destinations for adults who refuse to grow up. Fewer and fewer families are going anymore because they just aren't as affordable. And the people who do go are more and more surly it seems. The parks are Vegas-izing, becoming homogenized and the experience is deteriorating.
    Last edited by Scott Taylor; 12-01-2023 at 01:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    I really think woke agenda is just a scapegoat raised by certain people. There is no woke agenda, first of all, and second of all movies that someone could call woke have done well, like Black Panther and Wakanda Forever.

Disney has had setbacks to their plans that have seemingly caught them by surprise. Jonathan Majors issues, for one. COVID. Streaming. The Box Office becoming wildly different. Their audience getting older and raising kids instead of being kids. The drama with James Gunn which resulted in him moving to the other company. And related to that, the DCEU getting new leadership and seeming to finally be righting the boat.

Not to mention the Disney parks, while still very profitable, are becoming these boutique destinations for adults who refuse to grow up. Fewer and fewer families are going anymore because they just aren't as affordable. And the people who do go are more and more surly it seems.
    I don't think Black Panther is woke at all.

It didn't just blame white for all the bad things, it didn't agree to use the same violence. Nor was Black Panther a Mary Sue, he got flaw and development.

There is no surprise when so many flops all happen, if you still say "hey we just got unlucky" than you will keep flop.

Quote Originally Posted by Slowpokeking View Post
    I don't think Black Panther is woke at all.

It didn't just blame white for all the bad things, it didn't agree to use the same violence. Nor was Black Panther a Mary Sue, he got flaw and development.

There is no surprise when so many flops all happen, if you still say "hey we just got unlucky" than you will keep flop.
    I HATE the term "Mary Sue". You know who is a Mary Sue? My favorite character growing up James Bond.

Always wins? Check.

Self-insert for the creator? Check.

Always gets the girl? Check, Man got more ass than a toilet seat.

Always saves the day? Check.

Know it all? Check I don't care if Microchips or Brandy, he knows it and it use to annoy original M.

Best Ever? Check.

& I loved the charming bastard all of them.

So quit talking down to Mary Sues sometimes they are cool.

I kind of want to know what T'Challa's flaws were. Too handsome? Perhaps he always burned the toast.

I kind of want to know what T'Challa's flaws were. Too handsome? Perhaps he always burned the toast.
    In CA3, he was shown to be too hotheaded, trying to take revenge on his own without considering his status as future king, nor did he make things clear.

In BP, he was too nice on his brother, which almost resulted in disaster. As a king and rule you can't think like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    I HATE the term "Mary Sue". You know who is a Mary Sue? My favorite character growing up James Bond.

Always wins? Check.

Self-insert for the creator? Check.

Always gets the girl? Check, Man got more ass than a toilet seat.

Always saves the day? Check.

Know it all? Check I don't care if Microchips or Brandy, he knows it and it use to annoy original M.

Best Ever? Check.

& I loved the charming bastard all of them.

So quit talking down to Mary Sues sometimes they are cool.
    And did you know that recent Bond movie no longer makes him that awesome anymore?

I think if they make a Dazzler movie with Taylor Swift, all will be forgiven and they will be on top again. Still.
    That's . . . actually brilliant.

Quote Originally Posted by Slowpokeking View Post
    And did you know that recent Bond movie no longer makes him that awesome anymore?
    No it doesn’t! They always pretend he’s lost it at the start, with a shaky hand and stuff, but by the end he’s mowing down bad guys with his tiny pistol like he’s playing Time Crisis. Not even sure what you were going for there.

(And in Skyfall he fails the physio test, but five minutes later manages to ride the outside of an elevator up a skyscraper with his fingertips - something an elite free climber probably couldn’t do.)
    Last edited by Frobisher; 12-01-2023 at 03:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Frobisher View Post
    No it doesn’t! They always pretend he’s lost it at the start, with a shaky hand and stuff, but by the end he’s mowing down bad guys with his tiny pistol like he’s playing Time Crisis. Not even sure what you were going for there.

(And in Skyfall he fails the physio test, but five minutes later manages to ride the outside of an elevator up a skyscraper with his fingertips - something an elite free climber probably couldn’t do.)
    But to be fair, many of the villains also got such advantage until the end.

That's why ppl don't question Bond too much about it.