Page 17 of 24 FirstFirst ... 7131415161718192021 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Bunch of Coconuts View Post
    Since you want to discuss “facts” and “Andersen’s intentions,” give this a read and get back with me when you can explain why many of these things aren’t present in even the original animated Disney film:

https://screenrant.com/the-little-me...ndersen-story/

And then explain to me why Ariel being black is the most egregious offense.

I’ll wait.
    I have criticized Disney's animated movie a lot of times. There were many more faithful adaptations with more reasonable changes.

Because the target audience, changing it to a happy ending love story with some family drama could still attract new audience, especially among children.

But all the live action is about "lazy money from the old animated movie fans". So race swap will only drive old fans away and not getting enough new audience. Not just including the original tales' fans, but also the movies' fans, that's how business works.

Astonishing Member

Lots and lots of movies underperformed this year. I doubt there is just one reason. Look at the box office right now. Nothing is exactly lighting it up. I mean the boy and the blue heron won the box office this weekend with 12 million dollars.
    Last edited by inisideguy; 12-12-2023 at 01:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 80sbaby View Post
    We're talking about a live action remake of the Disney film. So now you're just being intellectually dishonest.
    Yeah, a big chunk of these remakes' target audience were the old animated movies' fans. Such movie got little new thing, a lot of ppl just buy it to see how were these animated characters show up faithfully on live screen.

And the Disney movie also showed Ariel as a white red head, so ppl got a clear image of her.

If you chose someone who looks entirely different, it's going to backfire for sure. Why is it hard to understand? The live action remakes are overall lazy money grab, of course you got to please the fans at least.

Quote Originally Posted by Slowpokeking View Post
    Yeah, a big chunk of these remakes' target audience were the old animated movies' fans. Such movie got little new thing, a lot of ppl just buy it to see how were these animated characters show up faithfully on live screen.

And the Disney movie also showed Ariel as a white red head, so ppl got a clear image of her.

If you chose someone who looks entirely different, it's going to backfire for sure. Why is it hard to understand? The live action remakes are overall lazy money grab, of course you got to please the fans at least.
    Or they gain new fans like my little nieces and many others, which is also the point.

Or they gain new fans like my little nieces and many others, which is also the point.
    Not enough to make it a hit, obviously its box office is a disappointment to Disney.

Some markets like China and Korea just directly shut it off.

Little Mermaid was a boring ass movie and a poor remake. But the "anti-woke" crowd all know the ONE reason it failed.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Not enough to make it a hit, obviously its box office is a disappointment to Disney.

Some markets like China and Korea just directly shut it off.
    Box office, sure but fortunately that's not all Disney relies on. It's done very well in streaming and they already have a cartoon based on this version planned. So it seems to me it hit it's target demographic.

Box office, sure but fortunately that's not all Disney relies on. It's done very well in streaming and they already have a cartoon based on this version planned. So it seems to me it hit it's target demographic.
    Do you know that Disney+ is keep bleeding badly?

It's very obvious, the Mermaid is the absolute lead in the tale and Disney's movie, and she's very well known. If you cast someone who looks entirely different surely it's gonna be a risk.

Do you know that Disney+ is keep bleeding badly?

It's very obvious, the Mermaid is the absolute lead in the tale and Disney's movie, and she's very well known. If you cast someone who looks entirely different surely it's gonna be a risk.
    That had nothing to do with my point, though? We're specifically talking about TLM, not Disney Plus as a whole so let's not move goalposts. The point is it's did good enough for them to continue using this version and the target demo (little girls) enjoyed it. That's not even getting into the merchandising aspect, which also sold well.

That had nothing to do with my point, though? We're specifically talking about TLM, not Disney Plus as a whole so let's not move goalposts. The point is it's did good enough for them to continue using this version and the target demo (little girls) enjoyed it. That's not even getting into the merchandising aspect, which also sold well.
    Which means it's profit on streaming is in a big question. Not to say future steps could be cancelled if it failed to meet their expectation.

It's how business works, plain and simple.

I have criticized Disney's animated movie a lot of times. There were many more faithful adaptations with more reasonable changes.

Because the target audience, changing it to a happy ending love story with some family drama could still attract new audience, especially among children.

But all the live action is about "lazy money from the old animated movie fans". So race swap will only drive old fans away and not getting enough new audience. Not just including the original tales' fans, but also the movies' fans, that's how business works.
    Thanks for not responding to my post, I guess.

Which means it's profit on streaming is in a big question. Not to say future steps could be cancelled if it failed to meet their expectation.

It's how business works, plain and simple.
    Lol no it's not. TLM being profitable isn't dependent on whether Disney Plus is profitable. It's not responsible for the entire streaming service. That's not at all how business works.

If the show is cancelled then we can revisit this conversation. But as for now, the franchise is seen as profitable enough to continue.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunch of Coconuts View Post
    Thanks for not responding to my post, I guess.
    I did, you just refuse to get it.

I've read the tale since my childhood, not everyone needs to read from website article to know the difference.

Lol no it's not. TLM being profitable isn't dependent on whether Disney Plus is profitable. It's not responsible for the entire streaming service. That's not at all how business works.

If the show is cancelled then we can revisit this conversation. But as for now, the franchise is seen as profitable enough to continue.
    It's not going to bring profit if the whole streaming service is bleeding billions of money itself.

As for now, the show itself hasn't come out yet. So its profit is in a big question again.

It's not going to bring profit if the whole streaming service is bleeding billions of money itself.

As for now, the show itself hasn't come out yet. So its profit is in a big question again.
    That's not how profitability is assessed in streaming. Netflix only just became profitable after all these years in business. Are you going to say Stranger Things wasn't successful? You clearly don't know how anything works.