Page 6 of 24 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    I think the Force Awakens, Rogue One and Last Jedi were fine. Reviews and box office were decent, although there were some issues, including the over-reliance on Death Star rehashes.

The Han Solo prequel had bad timing. It was the fourth Star Wars film in four years so it wasn't special. There was behind the scenes chaos. And as far as the audience knew, the character's final fate was that he would be murdered by his only son, which is a bummer.

The Rise of Skywalker was a catastrophe, with various decisions that seemed to be made to piss off anyone who liked the Last Jedi (Rose had about six lines, Luke admit he was wrong, etc.) as well as behind the scenes problems (it was supposed to be the Carrie Fisher film; the original director was fired; they never changed the schedule.)

There are ways to improve the reputation of the series going forward, but a satisfying conclusion would have been cheaper.
    TLJ, as a movie ,was ok.

But as the middle of the trilogy, it caused huge damage.

It was TLJ which started to piss off the fans and slap the face of the previous movie, and it was TLJ which made clear that "New Republic collapsed in 1 day", which was utter stupid.

TFA was uncreative, but TLJ is where the problem starts.

Quote Originally Posted by Slowpokeking View Post

It was TLJ which started to piss off the fans and slap the face of the previous movie, and it was TLJ which made clear that "New Republic collapsed in 1 day", which was utter stupid.

Yeah, it is not easy to destroy a galactic government overnight. Even if you nuked the New Republic's capital, there are many other worlds in the new Republic that could organize a new capital.

Also it was TLJ who wrote Rose as a terrible character.

WHAT was she thinking when she "stopped" Finn when both could be killed? if she wanted to save him, WHY didn't she go destroy the cannon instead????

A lot of things just didn't make sense, it was written to piss off the fans.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    Not to mention the Disney parks, while still very profitable, are becoming these boutique destinations for adults who refuse to grow up. Fewer and fewer families are going anymore because they just aren't as affordable. And the people who do go are more and more surly it seems. The parks are Vegas-izing, becoming homogenized and the experience is deteriorating.
    As a 43 year old male who just went to Disneyland and is planning to go to Disney World next year.... you are absolutely correct. Also, OUCH.

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Exactly this.

In addition, they should put out less movies. The tent poles all the time strategy doesn't work especially since they've doubled down on streaming.
    I think Iger has already admitted that they simply put out too much content, and going forward they were going to cut back. That alone should help with the sub-par VFX in some of their movies- less content means less backlog, and more time for the animators to work on the effects.

Quote Originally Posted by Slowpokeking View Post
    I think SW failed mostly due to they lack of a clear direction, the directors were slapping each other's face. Also the world setting was super awful, they just want to copy paste rebel VS empire.
    This right here. JJ didn't want to make a Star Wars movie, he wanted to remake A New Hope. Why else would the group facing off against the First Order be called 'The Resistance'? The New Republic was in charge of the galaxy. Why wasn't the New Republic military fighting against the terrorist faction? Not to mention Starkiller Base, the most non-sensical weapon in the history of a franchise full of non-sensical weapons.

JJ left his mystery boxes, and didn't bother to come up with an overall plan. Johnson came in and did his thing, which was fairly terrible. Then they brought JJ back, and at every turn in TRoS, he seemed to delight in belittling or undoing everything Johnson did in the previous movie. It was actually breathtaking at times.

Quote Originally Posted by Zauriel View Post
    Wish managed to pull a decent second weekend gross. It 's made nearly $42 million domestic in 12 days. Wish might have legs.

Can't say the same for The Marvels. Being a flop is now a given. $197 million worldwide? This film needs to earn at least $650 million to break even, considering its huge inflated budget.
    The Marvels is not the first Marvel movie I haven't seen in theaters (I didn't see Guardians or Thor: Love and Thunder). But it's not that I didn't want to see it in theaters, but I never could get excited enough to go to theaters to see it. And by the time I was ready, it was already out of most of the theaters around me, and I don't feel like driving far to see it. And it's not because of some 'agenda' or because Bree Larson has an opinion; it's because Marvel really hasn't done anything to hook me into coming back to the theaters. I was also apathetic about Guardians (I did buy it on 4K, but STILL haven't gotten around to watching it), but Thor just looked terrible. It looked like it took what should have been two excellent dramatic stories in The Might Thor and Gor the God Butcherer, and crammed them into an teen comedy movie, which I've NEVER liked.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by AnakinFlair View Post
    This right here. JJ didn't want to make a Star Wars movie, he wanted to remake A New Hope. Why else would the group facing off against the First Order be called 'The Resistance'? The New Republic was in charge of the galaxy. Why wasn't the New Republic military fighting against the terrorist faction? Not to mention Starkiller Base, the most non-sensical weapon in the history of a franchise full of non-sensical weapons.

JJ left his mystery boxes, and didn't bother to come up with an overall plan. Johnson came in and did his thing, which was fairly terrible. Then they brought JJ back, and at every turn in TRoS, he seemed to delight in belittling or undoing everything Johnson did in the previous movie. It was actually breathtaking at times.
    TFA was imo a disppointment because instead of seeing the new Republic and a new Jedi Order, we got an unispired remake of New Hope, which was really the most uncreative thing to do.

TLJ might have been a well crafted movie, but with storie choices that seemed to have no consideration for how this should be continued in a thrid movie, and that pissed a good part of the fandom really of (I mean seriously TLJ was pretty much the movie that led to the "anti woke critics" on youtube gettig really big).

And ROS was just crap.

A big problem for Disney is that they spent a lot of money on sure things, but in the current market there are no sure things.

Guardians of the Galaxy 3 is the only mega-budget film ($200,000,000) to make a profit this year so far.

https://www.indiewire.com/news/box-o...et-1234928420/

The flops for Disney included Indiana Jones 5, The Little Mermaid (the budget was $297 million), Quantumania, Elemental, Wish and the Marvels.

Other flops included Fast X, Mission Impossible 7, the Transformers reboot and the Flash.

The MCU, Pixar and Star Wars/ Indiana Jones represented sure things, and the big problem for Disney is that's no longer the case.

This has implications for the films they hope might right the ship, like the next Avengers, the next Spider-Man, the Star Wars films that are eternally in pre-production, Frozen 3, Frozen 4, Toy Story 5 and even the Avatars.

Granted, Avatar 3 is probably safe given the success of the first two and the concept (Fire Na'vi!)
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post

This has implications for the films they hope might right the ship, like the next Avengers, the next Spider-Man, the Star Wars films that are eternally in pre-production, Frozen 3, Frozen 4, Toy Story 5 and even the Avatars.
    There is also Zootopia 2, last time I looked.

ESB did receive some criticism at the time as well, such as having a cliffhanger ending. Also being a 'darker' sequel wasn't quite a trope then.

Reason the New Republic couldn't or was reluctant to do anything about the First Order was largely because they were trying to return to the Republic before the Clone Wars when it did not have a military. Remember in Phantom Menace the Republic couldn't do too much about the Trade Federaton apart from sending the Jedi and offering to send some inspectors to look at it (Which got Valorum impeached). Padme had to use her own planet's militia and the Gungan's own army to repel the Trade Federation. Even then it's possible they would've failed without Anakin.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Disney movies used to be big, cultural events.

Star Wars used to be a big, cultural event.

Marvel movies used to be big, cultural events.

Pixar used to be big, cultural events.

Now they're all under the same house, with 5-6 or more releases a year.

That's a recipe for burnout, no matter the quality.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

The Little Mermaid grossed $298.2 million in the United States and Canada, and $271.4 million in other territories, for a worldwide total of $569.6 million. That means TLM made more money in North America than overseas. So, the rest of the world didn't welcome this film more openly than the USA did?

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    Disney movies used to be big, cultural events.

Star Wars used to be a big, cultural event.

Marvel movies used to be big, cultural events.

Pixar used to be big, cultural events.

Now they're all under the same house, with 5-6 or more releases a year.

That's a recipe for burnout, no matter the quality.
    I don't understand the whole Burnout thing...
    I mean, I do get burnout but that was after watching 4 seasons of Naruto in a couple of weeks but Disney, Star Wars, Marvel doesn't pump out that much stuff. Heck, most people binge tv series back to back to back and they complain about a Marvel show that usually has 8 episodes and maybe 4 movies a year? That is not burnout, it's just that they don't care anymore. Used to be an event...It's not anymore. People are fickle and move on. Do you think Oppenheimer would have been as big as it was if it were not for Barbie? Barbiheimer made it an event and EVERYONE had to do it...

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Yet folks don't want to talk about those movies. Only the ones with POC and LGBTQA leads that are somehow the issue. Disney has had tons of flops yet everyone wants to focus on the ones that they hate the fact they exist.

It's called making stuff that you own FULL control over versus paying others for their ideas.

I don't get live action version of animated movies-do we REALLY need those?

There are other versions of Snow White out there like The Unnatural Mother and the Girl with a Star on Her Forehead or The Death of the Seven Dwarves. Of course Death of 7 Dwarves might need to be cleaned up for kids as Snow White gets accused of being the lover to all 7 dwarves.

I think the point is doing that marketing and now spending $100 million. If Strange World spent that much-I would be the FIRST to ask who stole the money?

Strange World, Haunted Mansion, Napoleon, Spiderverse (sort of), TMNT and Blue Beetle. I saw no radio ads, tv ads, movie posters (NOT at theaters) or billboards for those movies.

It took seeing the TOYS for TMNT for folks to suddenly realize there were movie coming out.

Blue Beetle. Nobody at my school knew that movie existed until they saw the popcorn tin and Blue Beetle popcorn bug I bought to school.

So the city that is 4th largest metropolitan area saw little or no promotion of those films?

I know TMNT got some promotion because I OWN the promo shirt and stuff that was given out in certain theaters. Same with Spiderverse and Haunted Mansion-all AFTER they came out.
    All of the stuff you mentioned, I saw promos and commercials for them all over Nickelodeon and Cartoon Network. The problem is, do majority of kids/teens today actually watch those channels when YouTube and streaming is available?
    I doubt it.
    I did see some of the Disney stuff advertised to parents on prime time with ABC. But that was me wanting Abbot Elementary.
    I’m not a Bachelor or Dancing With The Stars fan. So no clue if the advertise during those .

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by krazijoe View Post
    I don't understand the whole Burnout thing...
    I mean, I do get burnout but that was after watching 4 seasons of Naruto in a couple of weeks but Disney, Star Wars, Marvel doesn't pump out that much stuff. Heck, most people binge tv series back to back to back and they complain about a Marvel show that usually has 8 episodes and maybe 4 movies a year? That is not burnout, it's just that they don't care anymore. Used to be an event...It's not anymore. People are fickle and move on. Do you think Oppenheimer would have been as big as it was if it were not for Barbie? Barbiheimer made it an event and EVERYONE had to do it...
    Maybe its too much of everything. If you are a geek, you have to watch, or you would like to watch Marvel, DC, SW, LotR, GoT, TWD, Motu Revelations and so on and so on....many more.

That's what I feel. And I forgot there are 3 Godzillas almost at the same moment out there: Monarch, Minus 1 and Godzilla X Kong. That's exhausting even if I love it.

There is no event anymore, you get stuffed with franchises and IP´s so much you cannot catch a break and enjoy what already was.

At a streaming service you cannot even watch the end credits because the next whatever will get shoved in your mouth right after you finished your movie.

Disney wants to produce 4 more Star Wars shows for the next year!!

Quote Originally Posted by AnakinFlair View Post
    JJ left his mystery boxes, and didn't bother to come up with an overall plan.
    This is what Abrams always does. He doesn't plan past the mystery.

Johnson spoke for a lot of us when he answered what was in the mystery boxes of Snoke and Rey's parents, "who cares?" I mean, Abrams didn't.

Rey being nobody was both the most progressive and anti-elitist thing the new trilogy did; it should have satisfied fans across the culture war spectrum. But people are more hung up on intricate lore than a good story.