Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Mighty Member

(80's me) "uhhh...Amaist, princess of gemworld?"

Ultimate Member

I pronounced Koriand'r as 'Kory AnDUR' (as if Andur was her and her sister's last names) and Komand'r as 'Kohm AnDUR.' And the little brother Ryand'r, introduced later as Ree AnDUR.

The idea that these alien names were pronounced like the spice coriander and the word commander was just too silly for 16 year old me.

But I was being silly in turn. This is the company that had a Rainbow Raider whose name was Roy G Biv.

For the first couple of decades of reading the Legion of Super-Heroes, I internally read "Imra Ardeen" as "Irma Ardeen," even thought a) the letters are right there on the page, and b) I'm not, to my knowledge, afflicted with any form of dyslexia. Odd, that.

Boisterously Confused

I'm ashamed to admit it, but it took the Stargirl show to teach me that it's "Stripe-z," not "Strip-z."

Quote Originally Posted by Babylon23 View Post
    Same here. I also initially thought Orion was pronounced Or-ion rather than O'Ryan.
    You were right. "O'Ryan" was the human alias Kirby gave his character.

Standing Member

All the names of the New Gods (of Apokolips and of New Genesis) are silly, if you try to apply logic to it. They just happen to have names that sound like or are similar to names on Earth, really? This was common in a lot of comics, but Jack Kirby turned it up to 11.

As a teen-ager this kind of thing bugged me. But as I got older, I learned to accept it as one of those conventions of comic books.

Mighty Member

Over at marvel...magnetto?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    All the names of the New Gods (of Apokolips and of New Genesis) are silly, if you try to apply logic to it. They just happen to have names that sound like or are similar to names on Earth, really? This was common in a lot of comics, but Jack Kirby turned it up to 11.

As a teen-ager this kind of thing bugged me. But as I got older, I learned to accept it as one of those conventions of comic books.
    But it’s comic books. I mean, Green Lantern’s arch enemy has an “bad guy” mustache and is called Sinestro. You know, because he’s sinister.

At some point you just have to sit back and enjoy it. Ridiculous names are part of the fun.

Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyO'Brien View Post
    Over at marvel...magnetto?
    Certain character are so cool we forget about how silly their names actually are.
    Last edited by Robotman; 12-05-2023 at 01:55 AM.

Standing Member

Thanks to Paul McCartney, I never had a problem with how to pronounce Magneto.

I always knew how to pronounce Mxyzptlk (as well as Mxyztplk) AND they're backward versions, thanks to the Encyclopedia of Comic Book Heroes.

A friend of mine always pronounced it "Mr. Mistoffik" for some inexplicable reason. And another insisted it be pronounced "Mr. Mixup."

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ducklord View Post
    For the first couple of decades of reading the Legion of Super-Heroes, I internally read "Imra Ardeen" as "Irma Ardeen," even thought a) the letters are right there on the page, and b) I'm not, to my knowledge, afflicted with any form of dyslexia. Odd, that.
    That happens to me every now and then myself. I can recall thinking Dinah Lance's proper name was "Diana" until I took a better look at the lettering on the page I was reading.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Standing Member

It's frustrating when the people in charge get it wrong. I'm sure I saw several times where some source said Dinah's name was Diana. And then there's all the sloppy pronunciations of Mxyzptlk. Is it any wonder regular fans get this stuff wrong when they are being hornswoggled by people in positions of trust.
    the bass is back

Mighty Member

Ozymandius (dee us? dee is?)

Bill see-enk-a-witz? John Buseema?

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

It's frustrating when the people in charge get it wrong. I'm sure I saw several times where some source said Dinah's name was Diana. And then there's all the sloppy pronunciations of Mxyzptlk. Is it any wonder regular fans get this stuff wrong when they are being hornswoggled by people in positions of trust.
    Heh. I need to reread those original comics I first discovered Black Canary in now. Maybe Diana was what I was actually seeing on the page!
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Boisterously Confused

IMO, that worked better with The Eternals, or would have done if they'd been left in a continuity of their own.

Amazing Member

Not a character, but in my early teens, I pronounced Scott Lobdell as Scott Lobell. Imagine my surprise when I realized the D had been there the entire time!