Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Default Shazam! #6 Preview

Shazam! #6 Preview
    Writer: Mark Waid
    Artist: Dan Mora

Billy and Freddy trying to outwit Gods!

We can't give the other kids their own forms but we can let them reference Captain Marvel continuity!

I assume Bulletgirl and the others are from Fawcett Comics?
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    I assume Bulletgirl and the others are from Fawcett Comics?
    Pretty much, yeah.

Incredible Member StarSpangledMan's Avatar

Genius move on Waid's part to make the kids the new Squadron of Justice instead of rainbow knock-off's of the Captain.

I would like to catch up with Shazam but the last series I read was John's series from 2018. I have seen that there was a four-issue series in 2021 and a Mary Marvel series in 2022. Anything else I need to read in-between?

Thank you!

Mighty Member

You don't really need to know anything you don't already know tbh, other than the fact that the source of Mary's powers are now different.

Incredible Member StarSpangledMan's Avatar

I love this book so much! Again, genius move on Waid's part to make the kids the new Squadron of Justice instead of rainbow knock-off's of the Captain. And with Solomon imparting on the Captain all of his wisdom Waid has used this to bring back the classic delineation between Billy Batson and Captain Marvel, reinventing the New 52 era Shazam closer than ever to classic Captain Marvel by making the Captain pretty much his own person.

Astonishing Member

This is more of a slow-burn for me than, say, "Worlds Finest" which I loved immediatley - but six issues in, I'm really coming to adore this book.

(I will say that 'The Captain' is a worse name than 'Shazam' for the title hero, but hey - Waid's the boss here, not me!)

Spectacular Member 9AlphaOmega1's Avatar

Definitely a good arc to read, wish Black Adam show up later, much later. I think the real problem with book is branding, DC did mess up on the rights of the name, Shazam does not roll of the tongue, they should just rebrand him Captain Thunder, people eventually get use to it like, Marvelman became Miracleman. The other problem I think is DC is not putting more effort in this world, the Fawcett characters has a rich history and deserve a chance to shine.

Spectacular Member

SQUEE!
    It's Captain Marvel! The Original Captain Marvel! No "kid in a grown up's body" nonsense. And let the other kids take up the old Fawcett heroes' legacies, ingenious. Dare I say, Outrageous!

Quote Originally Posted by Claude View Post
    This is more of a slow-burn for me than, say, "Worlds Finest" which I loved immediatley - but six issues in, I'm really coming to adore this book.

(I will say that 'The Captain' is a worse name than 'Shazam' for the title hero, but hey - Waid's the boss here, not me!)
    Not any more. Solicits are out, and #9 is Waid's last issue.

I'd have posted this in the appreciation thread, but it's locked and nobody made a new one yet.
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Not any more. Solicits are out, and #9 is Waid's last issue.

I'd have posted this in the appreciation thread, but it's locked and nobody made a new one yet.
    Oh, that's very disappointing. Nothing against Campbell who I've not read much from - but Waid and Mora were pretty much dream-team for me.

It's a shame we're losing Waid and Mora but I'm willing to give Campbell a shot especially since this isn't her first go-around with the family (though now Billy is the main character).

Yeah, she's good with Mary Marvel (who she's still been writing in Lazarus Planet and Amazons Attack) and just got promoted to the main gig. I assume Waid had too much on his plate?