Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: FALLOUT TV show

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

Never played the games, finished it today and this is a solid alt-reality post apocalyptic show.

Grade: A-/9 IMDB

@Celgress and I had the same feeling on Lucy and Max. I got SW Rey/Finn vibes, which one was first, the game? Are they paired in the games like this? Walton Goggins is fantastic as The Ghoul. But what doesn't Goggins make better? I kept watching Righteous Gemstones largely for him. I want more specifics about how one is made a Ghoul. Got a bit of insight via Thaddeus but need more. In general more info how some characters are centuries old (is it all cryo stasis?). I really enjoyed the mystery of the Vaults almost more than the main story of Lucy searching for her dad. I felt they did a great job of pacing the flashbacks with the main story in a way similar to LOST. Speaking of Michael Emerson was nice to see again even if briefly. Earlier this year I also watched all of Yellowjackets and Ella Purnell is certainly among the crop of rising stars in her generation.
    So...no Ron Perlman, did I miss him or he's in the similar looking Borderlands film?
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Craig View Post
    Never played the games, finished it today and this is a solid alt-reality post apocalyptic show.

Grade: A-/9 IMDB

@Celgress and I had the same feeling on Lucy and Max. I got SW Rey/Finn vibes, which one was first, the game? Are they paired in the games like this? Walton Goggins is fantastic as The Ghoul. But what doesn't Goggins make better? I kept watching Righteous Gemstones largely for him. I want more specifics about how one is made a Ghoul. Got a bit of insight via Thaddeus but need more. In general more info how some characters are centuries old (is it all cryo stasis?). I really enjoyed the mystery of the Vaults almost more than the main story of Lucy searching for her dad. I felt they did a great job of pacing the flashbacks with the main story in a way similar to LOST. Speaking of Michael Emerson was nice to see again even if briefly. Earlier this year I also watched all of Yellowjackets and Ella Purnell is certainly among the crop of rising stars in her generation.
    So...no Ron Perlman, did I miss him or he's in the similar looking Borderlands film?
    The TV show exists in the same continuity as the games. it's not an adaptation. So the characters are not from any of the games
    love is the real "success."
    Free Palestine! 🇵🇸Ceasefire NOW!
    They/Them

Lucy and Max, as well as Howard/The Ghoul are original characters (Although Howard is of course, supposed to be the model for the Vault boy although he doesn't really resemble him that much). The series is set in the continuity of the games (The Assassins Creed movie did something similar, as did the Cyberpunk: Edgerunners animation). Like with the AC movie there's a few subtle tweaks to the lore to make it slightly more accessible but no big ones.

One of the villains from the games appears in the flashbacks and there are references to other events but this is pretty much an original story in the universe of the games.
    Last edited by ChrisIII; 04-17-2024 at 01:15 PM.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

Lucy, Max, Howard/Ghoul are all original to the show?
    So who is one playing in the game? Is it a first person shooter and the player isn't a character?
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

So who is one playing in the game? Is it a first person shooter and the player isn't a character?
    Yes they were created for the show. You create your own character with their own name, history, and stats in each of the games- it's played in first and third person and you can choose your own path/dialogue options etc.
    They/Them

The first two games are a bit more RPG like, I haven't played them as much to be honest.

From 3 onward (apart from a few spinoffs for mobile, some weird stuff etc) they are generally first/third action games with a lot of RPG elements. If you're familiar with Elder Scrolls: Oblivion and Skyrim it's very similar to that in terms of gameplay (same company/creative team).

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    The first two games are a bit more RPG like, I haven't played them as much to be honest.

From 3 onward (apart from a few spinoffs for mobile, some weird stuff etc) they are generally first/third action games with a lot of RPG elements. If you're familiar with Elder Scrolls: Oblivion and Skyrim it's very similar to that in terms of gameplay (same company/creative team).
    The 3D era games are definitely more immersive but 1&2 are the high points of the series imo.
    They/Them

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

I loved the show from beginning to end. I got a kick out of all the references to the games I managed to pick up on and how they incorporated some of the mechanics. The only major complaints I have is how this show fumbles the canon when it comes to New Vegas.

None of the Fallout games have the same protagonist

> Fallout 1 has the Vault Dweller, who leaves his Vault to find a replacement water chip (the water chip breaking down in the show is a direct reference to this, it even has the same shape)
    > Fallout 2 has the Chosen One, the direct descendant of the Vault Dweller who is chosen by his tribe to find the G.E.C.K (Garden of Eden Creation Kit)
    > Fallout 3 has the Wanderer, who leaves a Vault pursuing his/her father (the show seems to be a homage)
    > Fallout New Vegas has the Courier, who seeks revenge after nearly being killed for doing their job
    > Fallout 4 has the Sole Survivor who leaves their Vault trying to avenge their spouse and retrieve their kidnapped son
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

I forgot about vault 33 water chip malfunctioning. I recall it was said they only had a few weeks worth of water reserves. I don't think the show ever resolved it even though it was a major problem

Wonder if they'll be a bit of a heroic arc for Chet next season, maybe helping with the water problem and getting Norm out of 31 (Also, it's possible Cooper's family is there too).

Did others catch that a younger version of Betty was the Vault Tec secretary in the Cooper flashbacks?
    Last edited by ChrisIII; 04-18-2024 at 09:22 AM.

I doubt Chet is saving Norm because he has no idea he went to 31. Betty would be his best bet that's if she realizes her terminal was hacked into.

Yeah, overall, this show nailed how the Fallout games are. Comedically overly violent, Pip Boys, etc. There's Easter Eggs to the games, for sure. Though, a few things haven't yet been shown/properly shown in the show just yet.

But what pisses me off, isn't the show itself. Its actually really good. Its that the Halo franchise got slapped with a series done by people that never touched the games, books, or any part of the lore. This series was done by people that understand and love the lore, and keep the show in the same nature. 2 VERY popular franchises that went 2 VERY different directions.

I am looking forward to season 2.

Really liked the series even if I really dislike some of Bethesda's lore decisions, still looking forward to season 2, Cooper Howard is without a doubt instantly one of the best characters in the entire franchise
    Last edited by Hiromi; 04-22-2024 at 12:52 AM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    I loved the show from beginning to end. I got a kick out of all the references to the games I managed to pick up on and how they incorporated some of the mechanics. The only major complaints I have is how this show fumbles the canon when it comes to New Vegas.
    Bethesda's take on the Fallout world/lore, which this show is clearly taking the most inspiration from, should be considered as almost entirely divorced from the original games.

From lore to art direction.

Fallout 1 and 2 were clearly inspired by 1980's action cinema and british pulp comics. This is particular noticable in the loading screens, but can also be seen throughout the games in equipment, armor design, NPCs, backround references, etc.
    The map designers apparently even snuck in references to a 1993 album cover of the band Tool, a 1992 poster of Halle Berry and 2 posters of 1980's movies (including a rather odd one) on the walls of buildings.

All the "art deco" and retro elements associated with the "old world" were likely based on how the 80/90's would evoke the distant past (similar to how the Star Wars prequels would), while also neatly implying a "degeneration" of the pre-war 2077 USA to the days and mindset of the McCarthy era.

Bethesda meanwhile seems to have understood those old world elements as being what the entire art direction for the franchise is supposed to be like and turned it into a retro-future world where everything has been aesthetically stuck in the 1960's, including the "present day" of the ruined future.
    On the opposite end they also seems to have taken "Junk Town" of Fallout 1 (a major trading hub that used wrecked cars as building material for it's protective wall) as basis for how post war settlements should look like. Hence people still living in ruined buildings and sheds made of scrap metal 200 years after the war. Even though the first humble settlement the player would visit in Fallout 1 (84 years after the war) is Shady Sands, which uses entirely new buildings a trend which continued notable into Fallout 2.

Harshly put. Bethesda seems to have just copied what they considered were popular elements of the franchise, without regard to how they were used or what purpose they served in the original.

This makes New Vegas somewhat of an odd hybrid stuck between the old Fallout of Interplay and the new by Bethesda. As such it should be no suprise that a "New Fallout" incarnation would "fumble" that game's canon.

However to be fair. The Bethesda version basicly "won".

3 and 4 brought in a massive number of new fans, many which would not develop any interest in the originals or find them enjoyable (because of the very different perspective and gameplay).

Which can be somewhat disheartening for a fan of the originals, but it's also great to see a show based on it's successor incarnation be so well regarded and popular.
    Last edited by Grunty; 04-22-2024 at 09:43 AM.