Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Default Who's getting retconned as a mutant like Kamala was?

From the New X-Men SDCC teaser thread in the X forums:
    Quote Originally Posted by bishop66 View Post
    as ive said before look for several charactesr to be magically retconned and turned into mutants come 2024 including a few nobody will ever guess
    If he's right, that means Brevoort is taking a few people with him to the X office and retconning them as mutants, like what recently happened to Ms. Marvel. Who else do we think that might happen to? Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver would be logical picks, since they were previously retconned from mutants to non-mutants. And Photon got teased in her last solo mini. Anyone else? Which ex-Avengers are joining the X-Men?
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Astonishing Member Charlie_1981's Avatar

I thought that in its moment (70s or 80s), Falcon was supposed to be a mutant but I never knew how it was at last, I believe the story was abandoned.

Sam was very early on given his avian telepathy power thanks to the Cosmic Cube. He was never a mutant.
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Astonishing Member Charlie_1981's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Sam was very early on given his avian telepathy power thanks to the Cosmic Cube. He was never a mutant.
    But at the time, it seemed somewhat confusing, even in his first miniseries in the 80s he faced a sentinel.

Incredible Member

They need to leave Adam-Cap and Photon alone.

Wanda, quicksilver, cloak, dagger, captain Brian Britain.

I'm thinking a Kurt Busiek story at one point clarified in an aside that the sentinel malfunctioned (the original Falcon mini was written by J. Owsley/C. Priest).

I have no idea who it's even worth retconning into mutanthood at this point. It was done arbitrarily to Cloak and Dagger only for that to be reversed belatedly, 20+ years later, lol. Namor was low-key accepted as a mutant, though obviously one without any X-Men ties until the 2000s.

At this point, any powered person who is bestowed mutant status would have to be able to explain why they didn't show up on any Cerebro/Sentinel scans for all these years, or now submit to mutant-dampening tech like depowering collars and blasting rays like Forge's that canceled Storm's powers for years. Is it going to be yet another Moira style thing, where they had some kind of passive "cloaking" power?

as far as heroes-- hmm..

as far as villains-- hmm..

This is potentially another lazy trope to slap onto any character that you don't feel like having a fuller backstory for. Right along with symbiotes, Department H/Weapon X, clones, alternate dimensions, etc.

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Banner, the Gamma bomb activated his latent X-Gene

Parker, the spider bite activated his latent X-Gene

The Richards, the cosmic rays activated their latent X-Genes

I mean this is going to get so stupid very quickly

Hulk as a mutant who had possible mutant attributes from his father being around radiation has sort of been hinted in the comics since the Mantlo run; I think the Ang Lee movie also ran with that explanation as well, as well as his self-experimentation.

The end of Ewing's run also kind of hinted that with Banner's ancestors (Which reveal that he's also related to the Leader).
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Niffleheim

whoever gets retconned bc of the mcu for synergy are not worth following. they're just empty meaningless characters after that for me.
    "Dedra Meero is not just a woman in a men’s world, but a fascist in a world of fascists.” - Denise Gough

Quote Originally Posted by Tofali View Post
    whoever gets retconned bc of the mcu for synergy are not worth following. they're just empty meaningless characters after that for me.
    A very dramatic take.

I'm sure Photon is on the list, hopefully the Maximoffs too. Maybe Echo?

Probably depends on the MCU.

Weren't they speculating Monica Rambeau was a Mutant?

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Blue Marvel keeps making random appearances in X-books and he's really not all that well-known, so it wouldn't surprise me if they made him a mutant. His antimatter powers may still be linked to the experimental accident, but they could say that Adam carries that X-gene and some of his powers like molecular manipulation, flight, durability or heightened senses and perceptions that we've attributed to his antimatter abilities are in fact mutant-based powers. Or perhaps there's some other power that he has that we've yet to see? Nothing surprises me at this point.

Having said that, no one would really care if Adam was a mutant or not. My guess is that Marvel would want to take a major character to create a much bigger aftershock.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Probably depends on the MCU.

Weren't they speculating Monica Rambeau was a Mutant?
    I didn't read the series, but I heard that they were saying that Monica had her powers as a kid, which is a retcon. Of course, if Monica is an Omega Servitor like Ewing hinted at in Ultimates, then she would also have been empowered as a kid. The question there, really, is whether or not she was ever really just a kid.

Quote Originally Posted by kevlon View Post
    Wanda, quicksilver, cloak, dagger, captain Brian Britain.
    Brian would definitely make sense. His brother and sister are both mutants - the sister being his TWIN. Also, as Captain Britain, Betsy has only been using her mutant powers and a sword. Not the powers Brian had as Captain Britain. The reason? Could be explained that they were never from the amulet at all and are instead mutant powers. All the CB mantle provides is access to Otherworld and the multiverse.