Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 612131415161718 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    Same diference.The DNA infused in the husk came from said character. Nothing suggested that only DNA with an X-gene would work
    Indeed.

As much as they try to mystify it and insist it's not "cloning", it's still just a process in which a complete set of a person's DNA is used to reproduce their body and then modified to a desired state of age, appearance and fitness, which in any other instance in the Marvel Universe would simply be called cloning.

Infact it could be reasoned that an absence of the X-gene would make things easier, since the body creators wouldn't need to be carefull about accidently triggering the powers in the husk.

Quote Originally Posted by Micabe View Post
    Weren't Sentinels designed with that very intent in mind? I mean being able to adapt to and neutralize mutant powers.
    True. They were designed to apprehend mutants and be resistant to their powers, which includes not being affected by telepathy either because of being remote controlled robots.

However this resistance/immunity only extends to themself and they are an extremely brute force approach to dealing with any mutant power in general, not the danger of telepathy in particular, which isn't an ability exclusive to mutants.

Using the classic MKII based Sentinels as a way of dealing with telepaths as a source of espionage or manipulation is akin to dealing with hackers by driving a squad of M1 Abrams to their house and firing at it until there is nothing but rubble left, colleteral damage or even hitting the person in question not being a concern.

To put it jokingly, nobody would bring a Mark II Sentinel to a board meeting just to be sure the other side's entourage doesn't include a telepath.

The most notable exceptions where the Primes, who could extend a suppression field around them after scanning a mutant powers, but with the exception of Karima, it seems writers like to ignore their existence and have not brought them back in a notable capacity, while constantly going back to the cumbersome big stupid ones.

Even then however they are still specialized towards mutants and also not an option for mutant groups.

So overall, they aren't really the Marvel Universe answer to telepaths what ECM is to electronic warfare.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Grunty View Post
    Indeed.

As much as they try to mystify it and insist it's not "cloning", it's still just a process in which a complete set of a person's DNA is used to reproduce their body and then modified to a desired state of age, appearance and fitness, which in any other instance in the Marvel Universe would simply be called cloning.

Infact it could be reasoned that an absence of the X-gene would make things easier, since the body creators wouldn't need to be carefull about accidently triggering the powers in the husk.

True. They were designed to apprehend mutants and be resistant to their powers, which includes not being affected by telepathy either because of being remote controlled robots.

However this resistance/immunity only extends to themself and they are an extremely brute force approach to dealing with any mutant power in general, not the danger of telepathy in particular, which isn't an ability exclusive to mutants.

Using the classic MKII based Sentinels as a way of dealing with telepaths as a source of espionage or manipulation is akin to dealing with hackers by driving a squad of M1 Abrams to their house and firing at it until there is nothing but rubble left, colleteral damage or even hitting the person in question not being a concern.

To put it jokingly, nobody would bring a Mark II Sentinel to a board meeting just to be sure the other side's entourage doesn't include a telepath.

The most notable exceptions where the Primes, who could extend a suppression field around them after scanning a mutant powers, but with the exception of Karima, it seems writers like to ignore their existence and have not brought them back in a notable capacity, while constantly going back to the cumbersome big stupid ones.

Even then however they are still specialized towards mutants and also not an option for mutant groups.

So overall, they aren't really the Marvel Universe answer to telepaths what ECM is to electronic warfare.
    Yes, with "The most notable exceptions" being Sentinels who should arguably have variable ECM suites capable of neutralizing telepaths... Let us not forget how Prime Sentinels came to be...

Last edited by Micabe; 01-24-2024 at 11:42 AM.

A missed opportunity for me (and probably very few others) would have been an AXE-follow up storyline focusing on the Deviants, who were able to access Krakoa through the same gates that mutants could.
    “Generally, one knows me before hating me” -Quicksilver

Quote Originally Posted by ARkadelphia View Post
    A missed opportunity for me (and probably very few others) would have been an AXE-follow up storyline focusing on the Deviants, who were able to access Krakoa through the same gates that mutants could.
    Another missed opportunity from that story was exploring the Phoenix Foundation. They did nothing with that outside of showing that those thatwent through it were compromised in Sins of Sinister. I wanted to see Jean actually manage it. Show how the humans were chosen, backed up, impact on the Five, etc...

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by ARkadelphia View Post
    I think that was a more a point from Gillen's Eternals in that the Celestials created the Deviants to incorporate the Celestial Vomit (from Aaron's Avengers) into their genetics and then pass it on to humans creating superhumans and mutants. Which is demonstrated by how the Deviants can use the portals due to them being proto-mutants.

Quote Originally Posted by Mutant X View Post
    Writers had ignored the AI conflict.
    I think the AI vs Mutants thing was something that was more Hickman's thing. Gillen seemed to be more interested in boosting how big of a threat Sinister and his clones were than highlighting the conflict between Krakoa and the Children of the Vault (which got farmed off to Deniz) or showcasing the Dominion/Titans (other than a tool to show off how clever Essex was).
    Last edited by Bruce Wayne; 01-25-2024 at 12:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wayne View Post
    I think that was a more a point from Gillen's Eternals in that the Celestials created the Deviants to incorporate the Celestial Vomit (from Aaron's Avengers) into their genetics and then pass it on to humans creating superhumans and mutants. Which is demonstrated by how the Deviants can use the portals due to them being proto-mutants.
    Agreed. I don’t think this is something that needs to be addressed for the reason. You mentioned. I just think there was a potential storyline here with, say, an influx of Deviants onto Krakoa. Are they looking to take over? Are they just looking for a new sanctuary? Would mutants support them? Fear them? Not a necessary storyline or two but a potential one or two that could have been interesting in Gillen’s hands if so desired. Seems like he planted some seeds that could have been watered but there plenty of other storylines to attack which is just fine.
    “Generally, one knows me before hating me” -Quicksilver

Ooohh... just thought of something.... Terminator-style Sentinels with Mutant skin.

Ultimate Member

Can someone explain how we had a New Mutants series with Warpath, and not a single interaction with the Hellions?

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    Can someone explain how we had a New Mutants series with Warpath, and not a single interaction with the Hellions?
    The Hellions werent a part of New Mutants, so that wasnt likely to happen. The revived Hellios didnt interact with any of their former teammates besides Firestar and Empath

My answer for this will always be a Generation X reunion.
    The Avengers are Firefighters. We're the ones who fly into the blaze, whatever it is. Because we're the ones who
    can, so we're the ones who have to.~Captain Marvel

Ultimate Member

The Hellions werent a part of New Mutants, so that wasnt likely to happen. The revived Hellios didnt interact with any of their former teammates besides Firestar and Empath
    They were longtime rivals and Warpath was a member.

They touched base with the dumb MLF, but not Hellions?

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    Ooohh... just thought of something.... Terminator-style Sentinels with Mutant skin.
    I'm surprised we didn't see anyone attempt to get their hands on some Predator X specimens to send through the Krakoan gates, or perhaps adapt the technology to graft a Mercury-coating to human operatives, or even Sentinels. Could have made for a nice set-up for a Academy/New X-Men reunion limited series.

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    They were longtime rivals and Warpath was a member.

They touched base with the dumb MLF, but not Hellions?
    I know who they were to Warpath. My point remains though. Vita didnt even do anything with Warpath so I didnt expect a reunion with the Hellions to happen in that book

Ultimate Member

I know who they were to Warpath. My point remains though. Vita didnt even do anything with Warpath so I didnt expect a reunion with the Hellions to happen in that book
    My point was that there should have been

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    They should have killed Wallflower and turned her into a Bio-Sentinal for this, for old times' sake.
    Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    Hellion is the talk of the boards and rightfully so.