Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Marvel re-signs Dan Slott to exclusive deal - 20 years and running

https://www.thepopverse.com/marvel-s...exclusive-2023

Dan Slott and Marvel have decided to renew their vows.

No, not marriage - their working vows.

As announced at LA Comic Con's Spider-Man: Gang War panel, Slott has re-signed his 'exclusive' deal with Marvel Comics for another few years. The exact length of the deal is unknown, but it should include more issues of his current Superior Spider-Man and Spider-Boy series - as well as, presumably more.

"I'm very grateful to be part of Team Marvel and hope to keep earning my keep with them for years to come!" Slott says.

According to SLott, his 2022 ook Spider-Man #1 was the the company's best selling comic (in units) for the entire year - and the recent SPider-Boy #1 is on track to be the same for 2023.

Slott, who began working at Marvel in the early '90s as an intern, bounced around Marvel and DC for a decade on kids' comics before 2003's Arkham Asylum: Living Hell miniseries with Ryan Sook led to him being cast in a new light outside of just kids comics. Slott returned to Marvel in 2004, signing the first of what would be several 'exclusive' deals that paved the way for his historic run on Amazing Spider-Man, his redefining work on She-Hulk, helping revive the one-off character Squirrel Girl and helped conceive the idea of a 'Spider-Verse' - first in video games, and then back in comics, which ended up turning into movies, cartoons, and more.

Slott is the co-creator of popular characters Spider-Punk, Silk, Spider-Boy, Jackpot, and Mister Negative, as well as the Flash Thompson version of Venom and the internet-breaking Superior Spider-Man.

And while this is described as an 'exclusive' deal, these 'exclusive' deals at Marvel and DC aren't truly exclusive - it's just that they're prevented from working with their chief competitor (Marvel and DC, DC and Marvel), and that they are contracted to provide a minimum amount of work per year at, usually, a higher rate than if they were not under this deal.

Outside of Slott's 'exclusive' deal, he is currently writing the Doctor Who comic book series for Titan Comics.
    Congrats to Dan Slott. These kinds of exclusive contracts seem rather rare in today's comics market.

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Congrats Dan!

Who has had a longer exclusive? Stan? Jack? Claremont?

Quote Originally Posted by charliehustle415 View Post
    Congrats Dan!

Who has had a longer exclusive? Stan? Jack? Claremont?
    Denny O'Neil with DC was a big one I recall. He was DC exclusive for about 14 years, then went to Marvel for 6 years, then went back to DC for another 14.

Still, this is quite the accomplishment.
    Join the "Spider-Fam" Community! - Celebrating Love and Advocating for Our Hero to Beat the Devil! - https://discord.gg/VQ2mHzBBFu

Congrats to Dan! I guess you're a Marvelite for life .

Also just throwing in Jackpot there .

Astonishing Member Mercwmouth12's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Congrats to Dan! I guess you're a Marvelite for life .

Also just throwing in Jackpot there .
    There were 2 of them before MJ

Fantastic Member Hurricane Billy's Avatar

Congratulations, Dan! This is an awesome accomplishment!

Hope you're having a happy holiday season!

Good for both of them. The only problem is that I'd like to see his creator-owned ideas in action.

But it seems likely his plate is full with Superior Spider-Man, Spider-Boy and potentially other projects that are more than enough to keep his busy (especially with the carveout for Doctor Who- by the way, that was an excellent one-shot.)
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Congrats to Dan!

Hope to see him in Amazing Spider-Man again in the future.

I'm personally torn about Dan Slott, because he gave me the Superior Spider-Man, but also he took away Ben Reilly from me when he turned him into a villain... But congratulations!

Quote Originally Posted by mightyspidey View Post
    Hope to see him in Amazing Spider-Man again in the future.
    I hope he'll fix Ben Reilly so he can be Sensational again (if Ben's status won't change till that time). Also, give us more of Superior Spider-Man!

Fantastic Member

Congrats, Dan!

Good for him, but the bit about Doctor Who is wrong, since that was an oversized one-shot starring the Tenth Doctor and Martha Jones, and not the ongoing, which is relaunching with the Fifteenth Doctor on Free Comic Book Day. The writer for that is Dan Watters.
    https://www.superherohype.com/comics...-book-day-2024
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Good for him, but the bit about Doctor Who is wrong, since that was an oversized one-shot starring the Tenth Doctor and Martha Jones, and not the ongoing, which is relaunching with the Fifteenth Doctor on Free Comic Book Day. The writer for that is Dan Watters.
    https://www.superherohype.com/comics...-book-day-2024
    He's doing two more specials.

It's an annual thing.

https://www.doctorwho.tv/news-and-fe...n-by-dan-slott
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Congratulations Dan!!!

Well deserved congratulations to Slott
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

Mighty Member

Great to hear! Much deserved, imo, and selfishly, I'm very excited to see another few years of Dan writing in the Spider-verse
    Blue text denotes sarcasm