Default Did ppl get bored of the "adorkable" traits of recent Disney Princesses?

I mean, Rapunzel is totally fine and understandable based on her background. I'm ok with Anna while I like Elsa lot more. But ever since Tangled, most of Disney's princesses are the quirky adorable type, including Wish. This trope is getting bored and doesn't fit every character.

Will they change live action Snow White's personality into this? I really hope not.

Ultimate Member

Well if you take the actress playing hers words then Snow White will be a driven and determined woman who has no interest in romance and only wants to rule as Queen and have things done her way...so no ador Kable snow white in the live action version. And then the dwarves are now just random fantasy creatures and people.

Define quirky in this context.

Many Disney Princesses could be deemed "quirky" because they were either "rebellious"* (very common among them) or didn't fit in with the natural "royal family life" tropes.

*Air quotes around that one because, lol, a woman doing what she wants to do and not what people tell her to do, is not being rebellious.
    Last edited by Bunch of Coconuts; 12-03-2023 at 10:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Slowpokeking View Post
    I mean, Rapunzel is totally fine and understandable based on her background. I'm ok with Anna while I like Elsa lot more. But ever since Tangled, most of Disney's princesses are the quirky adorable type, including Wish. This trope is getting bored and doesn't fit every character.

Will they change live action Snow White's personality into this? I really hope not.
    Snow White had a personality?

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bunch of Coconuts View Post

Many Disney Princesses could be deemed "quirky" because they were either "rebellious"* (very common among them) or didn't fit in with the natural "royal family life" tropes.

*Air quotes around that one because, lol, a woman doing what she wants to do and not what people tell her to do, is not being rebellious.
    Nail on the head, there.

Disney Princess doesn't want to die unfulfilled after a quiet life of despair living someone else's expectation for who she is meant to be and does her own thing instead.

How 'quirky.'

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    Snow White had a personality?
    If we count the original tale, Snow White is very naive and kind.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunch of Coconuts View Post

Super talkative, very weird and goofy in a way.

I don't think that applies to most of the princesses before Tangled.

Snow white only personality is nieve and nice. She is the less developed in the whole movie. The dwarfs are the real stars and snow white is just--there.

The filmation snow white had more personality so disney can't do much worse. It was their first non shorts movie so i'll give them a pass there.

Disney does not sell real stories or characters. They sell brands and image. You are always going to get only one type of female Disney princess as much as you are only going to get one type of MCU film.

Quote Originally Posted by Slowpokeking View Post
    Super talkative, very weird and goofy in a way.

I don't think that applies to most of the princesses before Tangled.
    Super talkative is "quirky"?

OK, well, Cinderella talked to mice and other animals.

Snow White sang to animals, and I'm sure she talked more than the Dwarves really cared for at first (but they warmed up for the most part).

Belle talks to *every* *single* *god* *dang* person in her town every morning. And don't forget the song that has the townspeople talking about how quirky she is!

Do we need to go on?

Astonishing Member

I mean these are Disney Princess movies. I really dont know what people would expect. Is Raya a princess? I mean that wasnt formulaic. Anyway I am not sure what people would want out of a princess in a castle movie. Maybe people are tired of them I dont know. I will say Disney has had issues with this stuff before. Maybe not quite as big in recent times. But the princess and the Frog wasnt a huge hit. Tangled did well but it didnt blow the doors off of everything. It really took Frozen for that to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    Snow white only personality is nieve and nice. She is the less developed in the whole movie. The dwarfs are the real stars and snow white is just--there.

The filmation snow white had more personality so disney can't do much worse. It was their first non shorts movie so i'll give them a pass there.
    Mirror Mirror did perfectly on Snow White's character, also the cast was perfect.

I don't think Disney could do it as good.

I think the personality trait has been kind of overused lately for recent Disney Heroines. In fact it seems like it's most of what defines the protagonist of Wish and not in an actually interesting way.

This has also been recently discussed on another forum that I visit, although the topic was presented in a much less loaded way. If anyone is interested, here is some youtuber talking about it, it is not any new or particularly original opinion:

Personally, I think it's quite overrated, yes many of the characters have some similar traits, but you can also find those in many earlier characters, like Alice, Ariel or Mulan,so I would say it might be a case of when you look for something, you will find evidence. Plus, you have characters who don' fit that description, like Elsa or Raya.
    I also think that the animation style that Disney uses tends to make characters, particularly girls, look that way.
    Slava Ukraini!
    Truth and love must prevail over lies and hatred