Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Default Popular TV shows that suffered from adding a baby

What the thread title says.

What are some popular shows where the quality went downhill after a main character had a baby?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by caj View Post
    What the thread title says.

What are some popular shows where the quality went downhill after a main character had a baby?
    But did these shows, whatever they are, suffer FROM adding a baby, or was adding a baby one symptom of a show that was already suffering? There is a saying about how you tell when a show has jumped the shark, which is when they have weddings, funerals, or births. Don't know how true it is, but it is there.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    But did these shows, whatever they are, suffer FROM adding a baby, or was adding a baby one symptom of a show that was already suffering? There is a saying about how you tell when a show has jumped the shark, which is when they have weddings, funerals, or births. Don't know how true it is, but it is there.
    My example would be Jackie Harris from Roseanne. Jackie was one of the most entertaining and funny characters on the show and actress Laurie Metcalf had won 3 Emmys. But once Jackie had a baby, it was like she lost her brain. She was never the same afterwards.

But I will say there were other problems with the show so it was more than just the baby. But it was a BIG part of the show's decline IMO.

Mad About You
    Beth Hart - Fire On The Floor CD Review

Beth Hart February 23rd, 2017 Boston, MA Concert Review

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

Spectacular Member

Mork and Mindy went off the rails in the best possible way when they added Johnathan Winters as their new born baby.

Married with Children was pretty bad the season they had Seven in it. But luckily that did not last long.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Extraordinary Member

The Jeffersons went downhill after Lionel and Jenny had Jessica. Too many episodes were of the grandparents mooning over baby Jessica.

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

I see Married with Children has been mentioned.
    I was grade school/middle school in the mid-80s but I recall Growing Pains adding a baby a few years into it's run and I think Family Ties also?

Buffy the Vampire Slayer S5 when the added Dawn through some mystical means.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Craig View Post
    Buffy the Vampire Slayer S5 when the added Dawn through some mystical means.
    I wasn't the biggest fan of Season 5 but Dawn was definitely the highlight for me. I loved that character.

Conversely though, Angel flopped with their introduction of Connor. The main characters pushing around a baby carriage seriously undercut the serious tone they had cultivated by that point, but it got even worse when they aged him up. One of the absolute worst characters ever, Buffy never got that bad. No disrespect to Vincent Kartheiser.
    love is the real "success."
    Free Palestine! 🇵🇸Ceasefire NOW!
    They/Them

"Family Ties" - nobody needed that kid there.

The Devil is a Part-Timer.

Retired

They all suffered for adding a baby. It's jumping the baby shark.

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by James Cameron View Post
    I wasn't the biggest fan of Season 5 but Dawn was definitely the highlight for me. I loved that character.

Conversely though, Angel flopped with their introduction of Connor. The main characters pushing around a baby carriage seriously undercut the serious tone they had cultivated by that point, but it got even worse when they aged him up. One of the absolute worst characters ever, Buffy never got that bad. No disrespect to Vincent Kartheiser.
    Shooooot. I forgot all about Connor. Yeah, that was a mess.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Ultimate Member

And then the less said about Cordy and Conner having sex later on in the rewrites...the better...

Is it bad that I'm one of the few people who liked Angel Season 4 better than Season 5?

Granted, I hate what both seasons did to Cordelia, but Connor didn't bug me as much lol.