Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default X-men #29: Review & Spoilers

We start with the scene from HoX/PoX where Xavier uses cerebro to adress every mutant on earth. In this retcon, slight as it is, we learn that immediatly Xavier encounters Dooms telepathic answer. He even has his own cerebro helm with a trademark V instead of the X. Doom announces that Latveria will not accept his proposal and that includes the 5 mutants that Doom has managed to scrunge up from different corners from his, admittadly not large, country. Erik has a nice reply to Doom "Block him and move on." So Xavier swipes left on Doom.

We get a monatage consisting of 3 panels with Dooms mutants. Looking at them getting progressivly more haggard.

Doom predicts that when Xavier gets taken down they will come in desperation for his mutants. Which they of course do, wouldn't be much of a comic if he was wrong.

Volta, the girl with the electricity, attacks Logan. Logan treats her with the respect she is due, close to zero that is to say. It backfires when Doom reveals that her spear is 100% stolen/bought vibranium. Poor Logan gets his hand burnt badly but he is Wolverine, this is like an average tuseday morning for him by now. Kitty is not in the mood for talking when swords could be unsheated. Not only doesn't that impress or intimidate Doom and his mutants but their sales pitch of Sentiles appearing doesn't work either. 0/3 so far. It seems since no sentinels have attacked so far there is not much hype for them in Latveria. Witch might be correct. Doom is still there and better people then Orchis have tried getting rid of him.

So we get a small skirmish with Kamala trying to broker peace. Mostly a show off of Doom's mutants and their abilites.

Volta Doom: Electricity, vibranium spear and insecurity hiding behind agressive personality.

Slag: Made out of the Latverian rock. Big beard and speaks like he is from another century.

Dreamer and Ironcloak: Not allowed to join the fight.

Nerium: Similari to Meggan. A mutant binded to the country of latveria with shapeshifting abilities. So an elemental with shapeshifting powers. 4 arms and an attitude.

We get flashbacks showing us how Doom in all his compassion and regalty freed these 3 mutants and why they follow him.

The fight isn't going Logan, Kamala and Kitty's way and the D-Mutants once again proclaim that they are free. Logan then says they will leave but Doom says that no one leaves before dinner.

Since Latveria has no food trucks or drive throughs this means dinner with Doom and the mutants.

Slag reveals that he is reborn in this body and that this fight was a good scrap that tested him. Poor Slag, this was barely a warm up for the X-men. Logan has had harder fights with beer cans then this.

Doom shares with us his wisdom about Krakoa and why it failed. Charles was not ready.

Doom leaves and the D-mutants get an oppertunity to speak wihtout supervision. As much as that exists in Latveria. Probably cameras everywhere and the mutants more or less reading from a script Doom wrote.

Nerium tells them that even though they will not join them the prospect of ending Orchis holds interest for them. They are after all mutants too. So if an oppertunity arises to do just that they can call on her.

They leave Latveria and return to New-York. Kitty is optimistic and Kamala thinks it was a loss. Logan says it was a win, they just needed to slap some sense into them. Back in their lair they notice that there is blood on the floor and it's destroyed. Cliffhanger!

Review: I picked up this issue on a whim so no clue what happened in last issue.

It was a quick read and felt more like a setup issue. The whole issue more or less hinges on you as a reader being intrigued by these 5 mutants. 3 of them have a showing in the issue. Dreamer and Ironcloak is saved by Doom for future appearences.

Kitty is... well she is angry and kewl. Reads like I expected her to read.

Logan is in character.

Kamala is the voice of reason.

The corruption of Nerium by Doom and as an reflection of Latveria is not subtle but I think Cassara shows us a good transition from a softer and more gentle creature in the flashback compared to how she is in the present.

Overall I find this issue servicable as a piece of a larger puzzle. As a issue who costs 3.99 it doesn't make your wallet happy.

Art is great. Cassara and Gracia give us some beatiful battles.

Overall the art bumps it up to 7/10. It's just a little light on actual meat.
    Last edited by Malachi; 12-07-2023 at 11:20 AM.

The art is saving this series at the moment. It feel odd to introducing this Doom element/plot as it feels like the era is wrapping up. In terms of FoX this felt like filler. But it wasn't unenjoyable.
    I was trying to do too much and not doing any of it as well as I could. But I've had a change of mind... though not everyone shall enjoy it. I will.

#midnightermonday #uglystepchildren #lolgbtcomedyshow

Tumblr: http://newmutantmayhem.tumblr.com/

IG: https://www.instagram.com/ginger_drew/

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

We Latverian mutants fight you Krakoan mutants. But we won't fight for you or with you...at least not until Dooms says we can. The End.

Assness!!!

This was the epitome of FILLER. If I wasn't certain before they were deliberately dragging out this End of Krakoa for whatever reason...this just cements it and makes it more glaring.
    Last edited by Devaishwarya; 12-06-2023 at 12:55 PM.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

I was dead at Shadowkat being shocked fellow mutants would fight them. Sis are you new?

Thanks Malachi. I intended on writing up a spoiler thread but after reading it I lost all will and drive.

Quote Originally Posted by NewMutant View Post
    The art is saving this series at the moment. It feel odd to introducing this Doom element/plot as it feels like the era is wrapping up. In terms of FoX this felt like filler. But it wasn't unenjoyable.
    With the other core books moving in the direction of endgame, I also didn't quite understand the need to introduce new elements into the mix here. I think the Latverian mutants are pretty cool but with a shrinking amount of issues left in this era they feel forced in. I fear if/when they return before the grand finale they'll feel forced again.

Art is awesome though and as a standalone issue it was fine, just wish it gave us a glimpse into the other ongoing plots (Firestar, Cyclops, Synch and Talon.) Great seeing Logan with Kate again.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    We Latverian mutants fight you Krakoan mutants. But we won't fight for you or with you...at least not until Dooms says we can. The End.

Assness!!!

This was the epitome of FILLER. If I wasn't certain before they were deliberately dragging out this End of Krakoa for whatever reason...this just cements it and makes it more glaring.
    Filler and set up. Might have worked as an annual. Still I prefer my annuals to be whimsy or character heavy.

Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    Thanks Malachi. I intended on writing up a spoiler thread but after reading it I lost all will and drive.
    I threw something up rather quickly, thinking that if you posted something this post could always be merged with that or even deleted. I don't remember why I bought this issue but it was nice enough. Not enough to get me invested in the current events of Kitty, Logan or Kamala but gorgeous art.

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

First off I have to comment on the art and colours... wow. Each and every single page was a joy to behold. It's amazing how Marte Gracia can complement everyone from Larraz to Cassara so effortlessly.

In terms of story, this really did feel like a filler issue. It wasn't bad but it felt so out of place in the current storyline and it really doesn't make any sense for the team to storm Latveria at a time like this to recruit a handful of mutants they've never worked with, as dwindled as their numbers might be. It's just a boneheaded move. So despite not hating it the validity of the premise is so questionable that it compromised my overall enjoyment.

I did read fast. Extremely fast. But I love the new characters and I’m curious as to who the two secret characters are.
    TO KNOW HER IS TO FEAR HER: JESSICA DREW THE SPIDER-WOMAN
    BE SURE TO CHECK OUT THE NEW 2024 SPIDER-WOMAN SERIES by STEVE FOXE!!!

MISSING:
    Synch's Aura
    Northstar and Aurora's shiny hair
    Spider-Woman’s cowl costume

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Malachi View Post
    Filler and set up. Might have worked as an annual. Still I prefer my annuals to be whimsy or character heavy.
    Yeah I'm leaning more towards setup, while having the feeling of filler. Feels like they want Doom to be involved in any resolution to Krakoa and they needed to actually introduce him into the story, but they made the decision too late to do it in an organic way.

Quote Originally Posted by Zoks View Post
    Yeah I'm leaning more towards setup, while having the feeling of filler. Feels like they want Doom to be involved in any resolution to Krakoa and they needed to actually introduce him into the story, but they made the decision too late to do it in an organic way.
    Yeah I agree. Didn't Betsy deal with Doom? Might have been a better way to adress him.

I believe this story is going somewhere. It just doesn't seem like it going anywhere the direction of FoX.

In a sense I don't mind the drag out - that is the nature of comics (to a degree). But it's frustrating to hype everything up as THE END and start introducing new elements that sort of feel out of place at the moment.
    I was trying to do too much and not doing any of it as well as I could. But I've had a change of mind... though not everyone shall enjoy it. I will.

#midnightermonday #uglystepchildren #lolgbtcomedyshow

Tumblr: http://newmutantmayhem.tumblr.com/

IG: https://www.instagram.com/ginger_drew/

I obviously enjoyed it. Doom's arrogance is always so much fun IMO. And I like these new characters, and the fight between the groups was well done. Plus the art was sublime.

My score is 9/10.
    “Not as good as I once was… but I’m as good, once, as I ever was.”

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post

Assness!!!

But can’t you see, where would we be if we were not given our monthly dosage of Doom wank? Truly that is what FoX was missing.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post

With the other core books moving in the direction of endgame, I also didn't quite understand the need to introduce new elements into the mix here. I think the Latverian mutants are pretty cool but with a shrinking amount of issues left in this era they feel forced in. I fear if/when they return before the grand finale they'll feel forced again.

Art is awesome though and as a standalone issue it was fine, just wish it gave us a glimpse into the other ongoing plots (Firestar, Cyclops, Synch and Talon.) Great seeing Logan with Kate again.
    My will and drive were obliterated half-way through the story. I slogged through the rest of it and after I was done wondered where the last 15 minutes of my life had gone. The really good art cannot save it.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!