Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

This is the first image I thought of. To bad it's a splash page and NOT A COVER. Great Kirby-Stone piece.

There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by Ajax_X View Post
    Did they get around the comics code rule of not mentioning the Walking Dead by calling this a magazine?
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

That Eerie magazine came out in 1972, long before Robert Kirkman came out with the Walking Dead comic book series.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    That Eerie magazine came out in 1972, long before Robert Kirkman came out with the Walking Dead comic book series.
    I know the post cover came out well before The Walking Dead comic by Kirman. That is not what I meant.

I meant the comics code authority rules that stated a comic cant use the word terror or use things like The Walking Dead. Did they get around that rule by classifying it as a magazine and not a comic? Were the rules different for magazines? The Comics Code was in effect in 72 so I was just wondering how Eerie got around it.
    Last edited by babyblob; 12-08-2023 at 03:38 PM.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    I know the post cover came out well before The Walking Dead comic by Kirman. That is not what I meant.

I meant the comics code authority rules that stated a comic cant use the word terror or use things like The Walking Dead. Did they get around that rule by classifying it as a magazine and not a comic? Were the rules different for magazines? The Comics Code was in effect in 72 so I was just wondering how Eerie got around it.
    Warren did not follow the Code with any of his magazines. The idea behind them was to do stories in the spirit of the pre-code EC books. They were not comics.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Warren did not follow the Code with any of his magazines. The idea behind them was to do stories in the spirit of the pre-code EC books. They were not comics.
    K thank you for the answer. I didnt know if the rules were different with magazines then they were for comics.

Trivia - the CCA rules changed in 1971, a year before that Eerie issue, to allow vampires, ghouls and werewolves. Oddly, zombies were still taboo under that new rule unless they were the traditional voodoo zombies. So Marvel comics at the time referred to them a zuvembies instead. Really, there are comics with that term in them. At the time both DC and Marvel were finding all kinds of ways to workaround the rules of the CCA, and still retain the stamp of the CCA, it became a kind of joke.
    Last edited by Scott Taylor; 12-08-2023 at 04:41 PM.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Jonah Hex #66

Extraordinary Member CaptainEurope's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    Trivia - the CCA rules changed in 1971, a year before that Eerie issue, to allow vampires, ghouls and werewolves. Oddly, zombies were still taboo under that new rule unless they were the traditional voodoo zombies. So Marvel comics at the time referred to them a zuvembies instead. Really, there are comics with that term in them. At the time both DC and Marvel were finding all kinds of ways to workaround the rules of the CCA, and still retain the stamp of the CCA, it became a kind of joke.
    And "Zuvembie" was a name coined by Robert E. Howard.
    In the story, a woman can become a zuvembie by drinking the Black Brew. The resulting creature is no longer human, knowing no friend or relative. It cannot talk, or think like a human. It doesn't need to eat and will live forever, staying in a cave or an old house. It has certain powers—it can command owls, bats, snakes, pigeons and werewolves. It can hypnotise the living with its voice, and command the body of someone it has killed until the body is cold. It can only be killed by lead or iron.[1]

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainEurope View Post
    And "Zuvembie" was a name coined by Robert E. Howard.
    You gotta love that someone in Marvel at the time was familiar with the Robert E. Howard books.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    You gotta love that someone in Marvel at the time was familiar with the Robert E. Howard books.
    Someone at the company that was publishing the Conan the Barbarian comic was familiar with the works of Robert E. Howard?! Fancy that!

Who breaks more windows than our venerable Dark Knight?
    TRUTH, JUSTICE, HOPE
    That is, the heritage of the Kryptonian Warrior: Kal-El, son of Jor-El
    You like Gameboy and NDS? - My channel
    Looks like I'll have to move past gameplay footage

I try not to post covers of comics I'm not familiar with, but everything seems to be taken, so...

Slava Ukraini!
    Truth and love must prevail over lies and hatred

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    This is the first image I thought of. To bad it's a splash page and NOT A COVER. Great Kirby-Stone piece.

My first thought was similarly not a cover (can't believe there wasn't one of it). Not an entry:

Slava Ukraini!
    Truth and love must prevail over lies and hatred

Quote Originally Posted by foxley View Post
    Someone at the company that was publishing the Conan the Barbarian comic was familiar with the works of Robert E. Howard?! Fancy that!
    Bet it was Roy Thomas.