Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

So long as we're posting some defenestration that sadly wasn't on a cover, I would've totally gone for the Garfield meme if I could've...

Not an entry.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainEurope View Post
    And "Zuvembie" was a name coined by Robert E. Howard.
    His short story "The Pigeons from Hell" was adapted by the Horror anthology series Boris Karloff's Thriller. I recently watched that episode and zuvembies are brought up.
    Last edited by Iron Maiden; 12-11-2023 at 10:36 PM.

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    K thank you for the answer. I didnt know if the rules were different with magazines then they were for comics.
    The black and white magazines didn't have to follow the CCA rules. So you had Warren, Marvel and a few other publishers doing more mature content under that format. For fun compare the late 70's code version of Conan The Barbarian with the black and white Savage Sword of Conan. Same creators, same type of stories but in Savage you got to see Conan explicitly stab people, topless slave girls, etc.

For what it's worth, the CCA is the reason Mad comic book changed to Mad Magazine. That move pretty much saved the company after EC couldn't do their horror and sci-fi titles anymore.

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    Trivia - the CCA rules changed in 1971, a year before that Eerie issue, to allow vampires, ghouls and werewolves. Oddly, zombies were still taboo under that new rule unless they were the traditional voodoo zombies. So Marvel comics at the time referred to them a zuvembies instead. Really, there are comics with that term in them. At the time both DC and Marvel were finding all kinds of ways to workaround the rules of the CCA, and still retain the stamp of the CCA, it became a kind of joke.
    I don't think it was popular but Marvel did try to do a black and white horror magazine that used the "zombie" term. Not an Entry

Ah but that was a voodoo zombie. Workaround! They were allowed to do that. Notice they also used the term "Walking Dead" which was a term like zuvembie, sanitized and allowed by the CCA.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Holy Crossover, Batman! I've voting for icctrombone this week!
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Englehart Humperdinck

CaptCleghorn

Luke Cage in his tiara glory.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Extraordinary Member CaptainEurope's Avatar

WestPhillyPunisher
    I love that view of Gotham City.

Englehart Humperdinck. Not only Jonah goes through the pane, he also goes through the page.
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

Quote Originally Posted by Nschornhorst View Post
    So long as we're posting some defenestration that sadly wasn't on a cover, I would've totally gone for the Garfield meme if I could've...

Not an entry.

I’m sure many parents dream to do that with their teenagers…
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

icctrombone 'cuz, well, it's Adam West, Burt Ward, and the Archies.
    I’ll don the mask and wear the cape
    If I am super, how can I wait?

icctrombone Gets my vote this week.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Zelena, with a honorable mention to Nschornhorst
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    I don't think it was popular but Marvel did try to do a black and white horror magazine that used the "zombie" term. Not an Entry

Like the Warren books, the Marvel B&W magazines were not subject to the Comics Code.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!