Default Have all of your favorite stories been collected?

Sometimes I think back to the times when I started reading Spidey (around 2012) and how much has changed since then.

I started with Big Time and then slowly made my way back, while also reading the current comics (Dying Wish) at that time.

What I can say is most of the important stories (Kraven's Last Hunt, Death of Gwen Stacy and Jean DeWolff, Origin of the Hobgoblin, etc) were already collected, so it made for easy reading.

But then there were stories that weren't collected. Stuff like Gang War (80s), the Tombstone stories in Spectacular, Web (I know a lot of the Web stuff is considered bad) of Spider-Man, and many of the 'Spider-Man' stories as well. I think a lot of the 'Spider-Man' material is still uncollected.

Most of the stories I ended up reading in single issues were eventually collected, which is nice to see.

There's still some stuff ("Name of the Rose", "FACADE", and other Web stories that I enjoyed despite being terrible) that haven't been collected, but I don't see it happening. Most agree that Web of Spider-Man was the weakest of the books at that time, so I don't see most of the material being reproduced in any form.

Nope.

The obvious exception is the DeMatteis/ Buscema Harry Osborn saga.

Another would be the Owl/ Octopus war from Peter Parker the Spectacular Spider-Man #72-79. That was collected in black & white in the Essential series, which isn't quite the same.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

A Green Unpleasant Man Rob London's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    Nope.

Another would be the Owl/ Octopus war from Peter Parker the Spectacular Spider-Man #72-79. That was collected in black & white in the Essential series, which isn't quite the same.
    We’re still waiting on DeMatteis/Buscema, but the Owl-Octopus War has now been collected in colour in the latest volume of Spectacular Spider-Man Marvel Masterworks!

Nope.

How the heck did I forget about this saga? I remember reading the single issues back then and wondering how these weren't collected.

Is Web of Spider-man really considered bad?
    I came across the Smithville Thunderbolt story (Web 8 and 9 I think) a long while back and it's stuck with me.
    Petrus Maria Johannaque sunt nubendi

Quote Originally Posted by Daibhidh View Post
    I came across the Smithville Thunderbolt story (Web 8 and 9 I think) a long while back and it's stuck with me.
    I know, right?! I feel the same way about Cult of Love (T_T)

Last edited by K7P5V; 12-06-2023 at 04:35 PM. Reason: Made Adjustments.

Quote Originally Posted by Daibhidh View Post
    That may have been the most important Web of Spider-Man story, since it kicked off David Michelinie's run.

Honestly that run is worth collecting since it's what led to him taking over Amazing Spider-Man for nearly 90 issues.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Quote Originally Posted by Rob London View Post
    We’re still waiting on DeMatteis/Buscema, but the Owl-Octopus War has now been collected in colour in the latest volume of Spectacular Spider-Man Marvel Masterworks!
    I can appreciate that, although that gets to a different problem.

The point of Masterworks was to collect important comics.

I don't mind the Owl/ Octopus war, although 75 bucks for that and five earlier issues is kind of pricey. But there's so much collected in the Masterworks that just seems ridiculous at that price point. I'm trying to imagine a time-traveler telling the creative teams behind a random below-average issue of Marvel Team-Up that it will be collected in a 75 dollar hardcover in their lifetime.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

A Green Unpleasant Man Rob London's Avatar

I can appreciate that, although that gets to a different problem.

The point of Masterworks was to collect important comics.

I don't mind the Owl/ Octopus war, although 75 bucks for that and five earlier issues is kind of pricey. But there's so much collected in the Masterworks that just seems ridiculous at that price point. I'm trying to imagine a time-traveler telling the creative teams behind a random below-average issue of Marvel Team-Up that it will be collected in a 75 dollar hardcover in their lifetime.
    I think we crossed that bridge a long time ago when the oxymoronic "Essential Dazzler" came out.

Mighty Member

I did the math somewhere and came up with something like needing about 40 (i'll see if I can dig up the post - FOUND IT: I sketched out it being 38 to run thru Gathering of Five) epic collections needed before basically all of the pre-Byrne reboot Spider-man titles were collected. After that, I think we'll all have our favorite stories in a reasonably-priced format.
    Last edited by bob.schoonover; 12-07-2023 at 01:27 PM.
    Blue text denotes sarcasm

Nope.

I don't get what's Marvel waiting for. I know market differ from country to country, but the run by DeMatteis and Buscema was already collected in Spain by Panini in hardcover format (and I wouldn't be surprised if they already had it collected in other countries, like France, which has a lot of comicbook readers), and one would think that if it's already commercially viable in other countries, it would be in the US, one of the main market of comicbooks. Sure, Panini isn't Marvel and vice versa, but this Saga seems like something fans have been asking for since forever in the US.

https://www.panini.es/shp_esp_es/mar...h215-es01.html

I don't know if the Octopus/War was collected in Spain. If it hasn't, it's just a matter of time, as they are collecting all Spectacular in hardcovers AFAIK
    Last edited by Chubistian; 12-07-2023 at 01:43 PM.
    "The Batman is Gotham City. I will watch him. Study him. And when I know him and why he does not kill, I will know this city. And then Gotham will be MINE!"-BANE

"We're monsters, buddy. Plain and simple. I don't dress it up with fancy names like mutant or post-human; men were born crueler than Apes and we were born crueler than men. It's just the natural order of things"-ULTIMATE SABRETOOTH