Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Al Ewing Interview & cover/solicitation of Resurrection of Magneto #3

Oh snap.

https://comicbook.com/comics/news/al...o-interview/#6

RESURRECTION OF MAGNETO #3 (OF 4)
    Written by AL EWING
    Art by LUCIANO VECCHIO
    Cover by STEFANO CASELLI

FALLS THE SHADOW!
    In the cold dark rooms beyond death, there are terrible things. Annihilators. Adversaries. And a King of Shadows…who seeks a new soul to live in. The time of easy miracles is over. For Storm and Magneto, all the roads back to life are hard…and this is the hardest road of all.

ComicBook.com: It's fitting that the X-Men's Krakoan era ends with Magneto's return. With mutants scattered across the globe and the mutant resurrection circuit offline, what kind of journey must Storm embark on to bring Magneto back to life?

Al Ewing: There's a trope in the super hero genre called the "revolving door of death", but nine times out of ten when a super hero comes back from the dead, it's because some twist of the plot meant they never died in the first place, because bringing someone back from death is a Very Big Deal. Now recently in the X-books we've been asking what would happen if death was no big deal and something mutantkind could shrug off as easily as a cold, and that question led to some interesting answers. How would a society that had conquered death change? How would it not change? On Krakoa, we found out, and as a result of that, maybe a few readers got a little complacent with the idea of their heroes dying. That was kind of the intention, to defang those big shock death stories and make it so we couldn't rely on that any more. Magneto was an exception, because he had a really great death that we stated ahead of time would not be undone easily – and so it's come to pass. Death is back, Death is once more insurmountable, it's once more a Very Big Deal, and we've not set up any of those plot twists that mean Magneto never actually died... we've left ourselves no wriggle room here, as was always the plan. So how does Storm bring him back? With great difficulty, and with a classic hero's journey into the underworld, and with judicious use of an ingredient Jonathan left in the pantry. But mostly the first one. She's going to be seeing some more of the architecture of reality in the Marvel Universe, and that's just for starters – this quest takes her and Max deep into the heart of X-Lore.

ComicBook.com: I can see Magneto being very content with his death back during Judgment Day, and not looking forward to rejoining the fight to save mutantkind. How has the afterlife been treating Magneto, and as one of Krakoa's founders, can you describe his thoughts and feelings on its fall from grace without him?

Ewing: We get to see exactly how the afterlife is treating Magneto, and we get to see how he feels about his life, and we get to see his reaction to hearing about the ongoing Fall Of X – all of this will be on the page. So I don't really want to get into it here. But I will say that Magneto is currently in a sphere of Judgment and will have to reckon will all of his sins, both great and subtle, and with the darker side of his nature. Nobody wants to see a comic where Magneto takes a number and waits in a queue. We want his rebirth to be as big a deal, as great a personal sacrifice, as his death. Will we achieve that? I think we're on course.

ComicBook.com: You've done some exciting work on S.W.O.R.D. and X-Men Red, and now this next chapter in Magneto's story. What do you consider some of your highlights working in the X-Office, and what can fans expect out of Magneto heading into the Fall of the House of X?

Ewing: Well, a big highlight is finally getting to work with Luciano Vecchio. I've been a fan of his art since I first saw it – it's got that great clean, clear line that I always love, it's got this amazing sensuality to it, this high emotional content that really helps get the big beats over, he can do giant power flexes like nobody's business, and the cherry on top is that he knows his Tarot, which is a huge asset in a story like this that draws on and plays with a lot of magical stuff. As to where Magneto goes from here – well, I can't really speak to that as this is my personal Swan-Song of X, but I will say that I think we leave him in a very good and fascinating place.
    Last edited by JB; 12-07-2023 at 12:56 PM.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

**** dem swans and their stupid song. Don't Go, Lord Ewing!!!! *dejectedly cries a river of tears

the real Shadow King...Storm, gurrl.
    My Summer rain. My rooftop in Japan. My quiet in the storm. *cries* Al Ewing is GOD...Praise His name! Uplift Him in song! Glorify His works!

Lord Ewing, don't go! You can't!
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

I'm of course bitter when I think of all the great and/or underexposed X-characters he could have written and who he wrote about instead. Obsessed with tarot as he is, he could have put the spotlights on a certain Hellion.
    I hope he takes Sunspot with him wherever he goes next, because the X-office probably hasn't big plans for him.
    Bringing back the old, killing the young: that's the Marvel way

His run has been fantastic and my heart is heavy knowing this will be his last project of the Krakoan era. Even more so considering next week is the final issue of Red. Bravo, Mr. Ewing. Here's hoping he'll come back during Brevoort's tenure.

I'm still delightfully shocked to see the Shadow King.

Shadow King is a nice twist here. Another character who was sort of key at the top of Krakoa in NM but fell off. Look forward to this.
    I was trying to do too much and not doing any of it as well as I could. But I've had a change of mind... though not everyone shall enjoy it. I will.

#midnightermonday #uglystepchildren #lolgbtcomedyshow

Tumblr: http://newmutantmayhem.tumblr.com/

IG: https://www.instagram.com/ginger_drew/

Astonishing Member Cyclone_Ablaze's Avatar

Aw, MAN!!!! Lord Ewing has to go?! I guess we have to go back to Storm being a background Character again. :-(

#StormNeverDied
    #BindingLightOFAyesha!!!
    #AsgardianStorm
    #AlEwingbestStormWriter

In Ororo's Name....Let the Wormhole Open!!
    Ororo Munro: Regent of Arakko, Holder of the Seat of Loss, Omega Level Mutant, Goddess of Balance.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Brevoort and Co. can do whatever they like...

I will always have S.W.O.R.D., XMRED, SatB, and RoM...ALWAYS and FOREVER!!!
    My Summer rain. My rooftop in Japan. My quiet in the storm. *cries* Al Ewing is GOD...Praise His name! Uplift Him in song! Glorify His works!

I'm heartbroken as well... it's easy to take a good thing for granted until it's over and the old status quo is re-established.

If Annihilation and the Shadow King are linked...

Anyways, wonderful ending.

Bummed this marks the departure of Ewing and a bit bummed that he’s closing out on a bit of a side quest instead of taking center stage as this era comes to an end. That being said… I’m pumped to see the final four issues of what has been an amazing saga.

Astonishing Member Dante Milton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nicoclaws View Post
    And possibly the Adversary as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom X View Post
    Bummed this marks the departure of Ewing and a bit bummed that he’s closing out on a bit of a side quest instead of taking center stage as this era comes to an end. That being said… I’m pumped to see the final four issues of what has been an amazing saga.
    I would absolutely prefer Ewing to have more of a role in the ending of this era, I trust him so much more than Duggan.

It's such a bittersweet thing because of how much many of us loved the run. Better to have loved and lost than to have never loved at all, amirite? LOL! I have faith that he's going to want to go out with a bang and that starts with Red next week. Let's gooooo.

It's criminal that Ewing never got to steer the line like Hickman, Gillen etc. I appreciate what he's done with what he was given. He handled the drawbacks of working within the franchise the best of all the writers in this era.

Astonishing Member Cyclone_Ablaze's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nicoclaws View Post

Anyways, wonderful ending.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dante Milton View Post
    And possibly the Adversary as well.
    Or they all could be Siblings.

I'm very Interested in what these 3 Powerful Dark Entities(Annihilation, The Adversary, Shadow King) have in Common.
    #StormNeverDied
    #BindingLightOFAyesha!!!
    #AsgardianStorm
    #AlEwingbestStormWriter

In Ororo's Name....Let the Wormhole Open!!
    Ororo Munro: Regent of Arakko, Holder of the Seat of Loss, Omega Level Mutant, Goddess of Balance.