Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Retired

Well, by the late 1970s I was no longer a kid and, once I got a job, I had more money to spend on comic books than I ever had as a kid. Too bad there was an Implosion.

got into them as a kid in the early 80s....

but even exceeding that, my favourite era of DC was probably the 00's/Pre-52. any new concepts and characters introduced during this time were generally great... fan service or no, a lot was done to refine what I'd grown up on, usually for the better... there were some duds for sure (looking at you, Identity Crisis and Cry For Justice), but a lot of great stories were told and everything that came before felt respected in some way during this era as well. my biggest dislike of the era was probably the trajectory/arc taken by Roy Harper... Red Arrow was one of the few saving graces of I.C., but everything after that was borderline ludicrous, seeming like someone at DC just wanted to **** on the character. my biggest like, especially as a new parent myself during this era, was Wally and Linda West having their kids, and everything that surrounded that. this was one area where New-52 lost me, despite liking some of what it did to other characters.

New-52 started off pretty cool but nosedived fast, and they just haven't been as compelling to me since then.
    Last edited by Aarkus; 12-10-2023 at 06:15 AM.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt Busiek View Post
    Thanks! Very glad you like them.

DC does not own ASTRO CITY, though. Brent, Alex and I own it.

kdb
    Noted! Thanks. Of course, that takes away the joy of cursing DC for not putting it on their app

Boisterously Confused

I still think that the original Booster Gold series was one of the best ideas in comics that never found its legs for some reason.

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    I still think that the original Booster Gold series was one of the best ideas in comics that never found its legs for some reason.
    It lasted for twenty-five issues, a solid two years. For this publisher, especially back then, that's a Herculean feat of strength. And it got to be the first new title set in the post-Crisis reality. Also, I'm sure it set up Dan Jurgens to inherit the Superman books, when the time was right.

Mid 90s we had the Triangle era for Superman, Byrne on Wonder Woman (I know it's a controversial era but I'm a fan of it), Legion Reboot, Peter David on Aquaman, Supergirl and Young Justice, Mark Waid on Flash and Impulse, Grant Morrison on JLA, No Man's Land arc in Batman, James Robinson on Starman. Still some of my favorite runs.
    Last edited by witchboy; 12-16-2023 at 08:00 AM.

Astonishing Member The Frog Bros's Avatar

Of note, my opinion is largely Superman based.

My comic reading heyday as a kid was early 90's which for a lot of folks was peak Superman.

I've been thinking and stewing about this for a bit... but I think my next fave era is now. Again, from a Superman standpoint, it hasn't been this good in quite a while. And there's certainly no shortage of options and books at the moment, ranging from in continuity stuff to books like Superman 78, Space Age, and World's Finest. A lot of this opinion is also PKJ based because I think he's among my fave writers going (if not my fave). In my mind, he rejuvenated the whole Superman line with Warworld, which was basically an instant classic for me. I am bummed he's moving on (through no fault of his own?) but his stuff on John Stewart GL has been awesome so far. He really has a talent for blending all kinds of genres (often all in the same book); sci-fi, fantasy, action, adventure, etc. And man, I loved The Last God. Hoping for the second volume at some point.

Other current writers that have come in to their own during this period include Ram V; not currently reading his 'Tec, but I loved his Swamp Thing and JLD. The Vigil was cool too.

Other one-off type books/characters I enjoyed were City Boy and Monkey Prince.

Tom King, love him or hate him, is also cranking along right now. Danger Street may be my fave series he's done, and I've really liked his WW so far.

Speaking of WW, the Cloonrad run was pretty solid; maybe not necessarily great taken on the whole, but the first arc was def memorable and a highlight. I am also someone who really likes Yara Flor (bummed to see her sidelined).

There's also no shortage of great artists as well. Federici, Sampere (maybe an all timer for Diana!), etc. Jenny Frison and Jen Bartel will almost always make me consider picking up their variants.

Granted, there have been some misses and some stuff I either didn't care for or didn't mention, and waaaay too many events, but in my mind the current period has had more hits than misses (again, this is largely based first from a Superman standpoint).
    Last edited by The Frog Bros; 12-15-2023 at 06:37 AM.
    “Look, you can’t put the Superman #77s with the #200s. They haven’t even discovered Red Kryptonite yet. And you can’t put the #98s with the #300s, Lori Lemaris hasn’t even been introduced.” — Sam
    “Where the hell are you from? Krypton?” — Edgar Frog