Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Your favorite era of DC that was NOT when you were a kid.

Let's face it, typically a comic book fan's favorite era is the time they were a young kid getting into comics.

But what is your favorite DC time period when you were an adult?

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by tib2d2 View Post
    Let's face it, typically a comic book fan's favorite era is the time they were a young kid getting into comics.

Absolutely the Golden Age (I'll let Roy Thomas and others more in the know haggle over the exact start and end date for that fabled era!) - The comics could all be read in one-setting and they were just good old-fashioned, goofy fun. In this day and age of noise and divisiveness, an old All-Star Comics or Star-Spangled Comics back issue is exactly what the doctor ordered.

The entirety of the pre-Crisis history for me. Nothing brings me joy like pre-Crisis DC. I was born much after that.
    love is the real "success."
    Free Palestine! 🇵🇸Ceasefire NOW!
    They/Them

Ultimate Member

I started reading in the mid '70s, but there really weren't many story arcs it seemed (or if there were, I didn't find them very memorable!), and while it was neat being able to buy a random issue of Batman or Justice League or Superfriends and not really have to worry about not knowing what was going on, since whatever happened in any given issue might not have any relation to anything that had gone before, or would happen later, a part of me was ready for something more like a progressive story, which, to me, felt like didn't really happen until the 80s, with Wolfman/Perez' relaunch of All-New Teen Titans, or the Levitz/Giffen era on Legion of Super-Heroes.

Later, late 90's / early 2000's runs like Young Justice and Power Company also managed to capture that feel for me, characters bouncing off of each other, progressive storytelling that didn't flit through characters too quickly (which seems a trend in more modern comics, with characters coming and going in as little as six months, and standard team lineups rarely lasting more than a year, which, IMO, never seems to give them enough time to establish any real dynamic with each other and feels like of hollow, like meeting some fun people on vacation and knowing that you'll probably never see them again, so why get invested?).

The 00's (aughts?) Had Johns's run on Green Lantern and DnA on Legion. I'm sure there was other good stuff going on too...

^^^Probably 1995-2003.

Not so much for the quality of the books (though they were good), but where I was in my life at that time.
    Comics were a big part of a really good era for me that slowly got soured thanks to the fallout from 9/11.

Mighty Member

Definitely late 90's early 2000s. I was in my late 20's. Jiminez WW, YJ, impulse, hetero Tim Drake etc. DC new how to create bridges from young readers to mature readers then...

Powerpuff Girls, Gotham Adventures > Impulse, YJ > JLA, JSA > Starman, Hitman > Vertigo...

Astonishing Member

Whatever era the Sinestro Corps War was. I remember it made me as excited as I was as a kid during Captain Mar-vell battling Thanos whether cosmic cube or Soul gems drawn by Starlin, or COIE. It had me running to my local comic book shop as an adult buying up alternate covers.

The Pine Barrens NJ in Summer & Winter & Salem Mass. in Spring & Autumn

Pre-52 era loved the Justice Society of America during that time along with the Arsenal’s Outsiders plus Wildstorm’s Planetary & Authority
    Beware of spies traveling through your multiverse especially if they wear a 4

Retired

I was not around during the 1940s or the 1950s, but I love those comics.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Probably the golden age. First time I read the GA Superman I thought "That's me with super powers!"
    Assassinate Putin!

Quote Originally Posted by Riv86672 View Post
    ^^^Probably 1995-2003.
    LOL! I'm almost right there with you. My only additions to your list would be the years 1992/1993/1994, since that's when BTAS took over my life...

Last edited by K7P5V; 12-07-2023 at 08:23 PM. Reason: Added Clarification.

Astonishing Member kingaliencracker's Avatar

It's different for me based on the company. I got into comic books around 1989 (thanks Batman '89!), so my favorite era overall is 1986ish-1994ish.

But outside of that, with Marvel it's mid/late-70's to mid-80's. With DC, it's 2000-2007.

Actually, I was a kid, being introduced into comics in the 70's, however, my favorite DC era is hands down the Post-COIE late 80's, early 90's era. JLI, Suicide Squad, Hawkworld, Traiangle era Superman, Captain Atom, Perez's Wonder Woman, LSH, and so many others. Of course, some stuff I really loved, such as the All-Star Squadron was irrevocably damaged by COIE, however, in the end, I think the end result was positive. I miss those times of great and innovative stories. Writers and editors weren't afraid to take risks and the results often paid off.

Peace

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

I'd say mine is the post-Zero Hour era with the relaunches of JLA, JSA, Rebirth Green Lantern, Rebirth Flash, & Brightest Day.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.