Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

My actual favorite era is not when I was a kid. I was a kid during the heyday of the Didio/Johns’s era (around Sinestro Corps War), but I much prefer the late 80s and 90s. JLI, Levitz LOSH, Morrison’s JLA, Vertigo, Starman etc.
    The 90s had so many great short lived series. Aztek, Chronos, Chase, Ressurection Man etc. I think DC as a whole was at its best probably around DC One Million.

It sucks to be right BohemiaDrinker's Avatar
    If i was a comic character, my surname would be DaCosta

Best DC era for me is 1996-2003. I don't know if that counts as me being a kid (I was 15 to 22 back then). For reference, I started reading at 4.

Second best era for me is actually now. And I'm an old fog.
    ConnEr Kent flies. ConnOr Hawke has a bow. Batman's kid is named DamiAn.

To do spoiler tags, use [ spoil ] at the start of the sentence and [ /spoil ] at the end, without the spaces. You're welcome!

Definitely the 2005 - 2012 (pre-New 52). Johns was killing it on Green Lantern with Sinestro Corps War, Morrison was writing Batman and All Star Superman, 52 was an amazing weekly series, Giffen’s Doom Patrol, Giffen/Rogers’ Blue Beetle, etc.

So many good books in that era.

Hmmmmmmm. For WW, all I have is Pre-Crisis and volume 2 as the bestest with some moments in volume 3. Flashturd onward has been total sulphuric trash fire.

In general, I thinkthe triangle era Superman up to his death is my favorite. When I read that story, I was balling

Quote Originally Posted by Factor View Post
    My actual favorite era is not when I was a kid. I was a kid during the heyday of the Didio/Johns’s era (around Sinestro Corps War), but I much prefer the late 80s and 90s. JLI, Levitz LOSH, Morrison’s JLA, Vertigo, Starman etc.
    The 90s had so many great short lived series. Aztek, Chronos, Chase, Ressurection Man etc. I think DC as a whole was at its best probably around DC One Million.
    Pretty much have to YAAASSSSSSS this. Zero crumbs
    Last edited by Stanlos; 12-08-2023 at 07:08 PM.

Astonishing Member

The Bronze Age, which was before I was born. I think it has the perfect balance of presenting 'classic' and 'timeless' versions of the characters, with some degree of mature storytelling and characterization.

Bronze Age Batman is one of my favorite iterations of the character (in no small part because of its influence on BTAS, which was my gateway to the world of Batman, and DC). And I love Bronze Age Superman, though I sadly haven't read a lot of him.

I didn't really get into comics until the 90s and later, and looking aback at older stuff from the 70s and 80s is GREAT.

I think it is more fun now to read those old-time sagas from the 70's and early 80's! Such long ago stories about characters still around today. It must have been a great time to be alive!

The storytelling, art and colors were so different from today's comic books.
    [Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El 10-15-2020 12:32 PM]

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Like a Red Dragon, The Phoenix shall Soar in 2024!

Extraordinary Member

Late 80s / early 90s. That period right after COIE. The quality of so many books was amazing during this time.

Astonishing Member Godzilla2099's Avatar

Easily 2004 if we're talking DC

10 years I waited for Hal to Return as Green Lantern. If there was any saga that was worth waiting 10 years for, it was Geoff John's Work.

He was the ultimate damage control. At the time I thought it'd be impossible for Hal to dig himself out of the hole he was in. When Hal returned only those Green Lanterns welcomed him back. Most heroes either distrusted him or flat out wanted nothing to do with him. When Barry returned with his rebirth and received a Hero's Welcome, Hal revealed to him that his grave was desecrated...by fellow heroes.

Piece by piece, Hal had to fix every misdeed he could from the Parallax Days. It took years to claw his way back to the top. Rescuing the lost lanterns, protecting the corps when they were vulnerable and rebuilding, dealing the Sinestro Corps, and even the Grim Reaper itself. His journey wasn't easy but eventually Hal established himself as a full hero once more. Even Sinestro himself acknowledged this.

Rebirth was the equivalent of a New Hope. To this day, this run remains the best comic saga I ever read. Such an intense journey.

A close second is obviously the 90s. Although I missed Hal, I can see why he was so delay. Kyle was a very interesting character. Although Venom and Image comics dominated my pull list that time, I also remembered fond memories of Azbats.
    Last edited by Godzilla2099; 12-08-2023 at 09:33 PM.

I started in the mid-70s up until COIE. My favorite time.
    As an adult I'd say right after COIE was my next favorite area.
    Byrne on Superman
    Perez on Wonder Woman
    And a few other titles.
    It didn't take long to figure that COIE didn't fix a thing.
    If anything it made things worse.

Got into comics in the early 90's and for a long time I had no interest in anything pre-Crisis. World had moved on, there was nothing left to learn from the past, other than as a cautionary tale. Obviously I was just an idiot kid. Over time I'm come to see the value and enjoyment of the past, and the Golden Age has become arguably my favorite era. There's just a raw energy and madness to it that you don't find very often anymore. And I still think the early 90's were a golden moment for DC, we didn't realize how good we had it back then, but I see the flaws now that younger me missed.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Stingo View Post
    Absolutely the Golden Age (I'll let Roy Thomas and others more in the know haggle over the exact start and end date for that fabled era!) - The comics could all be read in one-setting and they were just good old-fashioned, goofy fun. In this day and age of noise and divisiveness, an old All-Star Comics or Star-Spangled Comics back issue is exactly what the doctor ordered.
    I'll co-sign this. Of course, tbf, I encountered The Golden Age in reprints at the same time comics were hitting me as a kid.

As an adult, I thought there were several Post-Crisis titles that were brilliant. Byrne's Superman. Perez's Wonder Woman. The relaunch of Blue Beetle, Booster Gold, and Captain Atom.

Above all, and not even a reasonable contender in sight, Busiek's Power Company and Astro City (DC owns the latter, so it qualifies).

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    Above all, and not even a reasonable contender in sight, Busiek's Power Company and Astro City (DC owns the latter, so it qualifies).
    Thanks! Very glad you like them.

DC does not own ASTRO CITY, though. Brent, Alex and I own it.

kdb
    Visit www.busiek.com—for all your Busiek needs!

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    I'll co-sign this. Of course, tbf, I encountered The Golden Age in reprints at the same time comics were hitting me as a kid.

As an adult, I thought there were several Post-Crisis titles that were brilliant. Byrne's Superman. Perez's Wonder Woman. The relaunch of Blue Beetle, Booster Gold, and Captain Atom.

Yeah, the post-Crisis years had some cool stuff. Legion and Teen Titans fell down after Crisis, in my estimation, as DC deliberately focused on what it considered it's 'core characters' and kind of let their previous stars wither on the vine, but Byrne's first run on Superman, Conner's first series as 'the Kid,' Captain Atom's book (so shiny!), Legends, Man of Steel, etc. were fun (and so, so prettily drawn. Kesel, Byrne, Perez, etc. had very clean art with big bold colors which brought a fresh start to everyone).