Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Slimybug View Post
    So it has begun!

I started and finished 1935! Which was just 2 pages!

Dr. Occult first appeared in New Fun #6, which changed its name to More Fun the next issue. These were only one-page stories, and there are only two of them that year. But I finished a whole year!
    How were they?

So it has begun!

Dr. Occult first appeared in New Fun #6, which changed its name to More Fun the next issue. These were only one-page stories, and there are only two of them that year. But I finished a whole year!
    How long do you estimate it will take you to catch up to the present day?
    love is the real "success."
    Free Palestine! 🇵🇸Ceasefire NOW!
    They/Them

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Air Wave View Post
    How were they?
    They’re ok. It’s the issues after that that wrap up the story really bizarrely abruptly in just 4 total pages. Can be read online for free very easily.

As to how long it’ll take me, certainly years, but how many is anybody’s guess. Maybe a couple, maybe ten or more.

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

So it has begun!

I was kind of hoping for a punchline that you're already sick of DC and will never read them again.
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

Incredible Member

I finished 1936! 2 years down, 88 to go! So far it's just the adventures of Doctor Occult and Scribbly, the boy cartoonist! 1937 adds Detective Comics, featuring Speed Saunders & Slam Bradley.

The 40s is going to be rough. I'll probably finish the 30s next week, but I'll be lucky to finish the 40s by the end of the year.

They’re ok. It’s the issues after that that wrap up the story really bizarrely abruptly in just 4 total pages. Can be read online for free very easily.

As to how long it’ll take me, certainly years, but how many is anybody’s guess. Maybe a couple, maybe ten or more.
    You’ve obviously gamed this out with a good deal of thought and I haven’t, but my guess would be that if you’re retired and don’t have to do anything but read DC Comics, from waking to sleeping every day, it could take you even longer than 10 years. After all it took nearly 90 years to create them.

This is a super ambitious project and I envy it even though, as much as I still love Silver Age and Bronze Age comics, pre-1980s comics are tough for me to get through, being as oriented as they are towards children. I love the old art as much as I ever have but with a few Bronze Age exceptions, the writing is a different story.

I’m almost 55 and I often think I was born at exactly the right time regarding comic books, especially DC, as they grew up with me.

DKR, Watchmen, all classic Vertigo, and to a lesser extent even the main line came out when I was in my late teens and young adulthood. If comic book storytelling hadn’t become more appropriate for young adults (any adults) than children I feel sure I would have stopped reading when I began to age out of childhood. And, though, I think this is not good at all for the industry, the older I get the more comics appeal to someone of my age.

I think the young adult books are a step in the right direction of hooking kids on these characters who can shift to things they’ll be able to appreciate more as they get a bit older and I think that’s the best of all worlds, but it was just wild to me the way DC kept me so hooked by growing up exactly when I did that even at my age, I still buy new comics every single week.

Sorry for the long diversion. Mostly I just wanted to say what a cool thing you’re doing. I’ll be following this thread for sure.

Incredible Member

I’m a 36-year-old teacher, so no, not retired, but I just finished 1937, the third year! Looking forward to a certain character coming in 1938!

Honestly the biggest road-block is the 40. 90 series about 85 characters, most of whom no one ever gave a crud about. That will take years on its own.

I can’t imagine trying this but best wishes on your journey. I can barely read pre 2000 comics! Just not for me at all. People say “you’ve got to read 80’s X-Men” or “read Crisis on Infinite Earths” and I’ve tried. Just not material I can connect to. The ideas might be good but writing is very simple.
    Last edited by Stick Figure; 01-07-2024 at 03:39 PM.

Incredible Member

My new goal, beginning in the new year, is to spend what may be the next decade or two reading all the stories having to deal with characters now considered part of the DC Multiverse.

This goes back to the first appearance of Doctor Occult in 1935.

Here is the first part of my itinerary. I can only attach 3 files at a time, but so far have it mapped out through the end of the 1930s, with 161 comics to read in that decade. Noted in blue are comics not published by what would have merged into National Comics by 1946.

Attachment 136127Attachment 136128Attachment 136129

To the best of my knowledge, there are 14 characters introduced in that decade whose adventures I have to read...

1. Doctor Occult (New Fun / More Fun Comics)
    2. Speed Saunders (Detective Comics)
    3. Scribbly (Popular Comics, The Funnies, & All-American Comics)
    4. Superman (Action Comics & Superman)
    5. Zatara (Action Comics)
    6. Tex Thompson (Action Comics)
    7. Hop Harrigan (All-American Comics)
    8. Sandman (Adventure Comics)
    9. Blue Beetle (Mystery Men Comics) .
    10. Invisible Hood (Smash Comics)
    11. Doll Man (Feature Comics)
    12. Captain Marvel (Whiz Comics)
    13. Ibis (Whiz Comics)
    14. Spy Smasher (Whiz Comics)

Let me know if I'm missing anything!
    Might not be the only one but from your headline, thought you mean to read everything published THIS year!
    If I had the money, I'd give it a go. lol

But what you are doing is indeed ambitious. Good luck!
    Please help Eisner Award winning comic book writer Paul Jenkins and his family:

https://www.gofundme.com/f/please-he...7vlOjaJCkRwCIs

https://www.gofundme.com/f/peter-david-fund

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    Every time I read the title of this thread, I'm hearing animated Starfire saying it.
    LOL Can totally understand why!

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Stick Figure View Post
    I can’t imagine trying this but best wishes on your journey. I can barely read pre 2000 comics! Just not for me at all. People say “you’ve got to read 80’s X-Men” or “read Crisis on Infinite Earths” and I’ve tried. Just not material I can connect to The ideas might be good but writing is very simple.
    I can see how Chris Claremont's X-MEN run would be off putting as it tends to be very episodic/ continuity heavy.

Incredible Member

I finished 1938! It was cool! It had this guy with a big S on his chest!

Also working through the adventures of Slam Bradley, Speed Saunders, Tex Thomson, Zatara, the Crimson Avenger, and Scribble the Boy Cartoonist!

Incredible Member

Well, I have officially finished the 1930s! I would have finished sooner, but I've been alternating with reading Tolkien. I'm on The Silmarillion!

But my readings of the 1930s encompassed the adventures of no less than 22 heroes! That's these 15 from DC proper...

1. Doctor Occult
    2. Scribbly
    3. Slam Bradley
    4. Speed Saunders
    5. Superman
    6. Zatara
    7. Tex Thomson
    8. Crimson Avenger
    9. Hop Harrigan
    10. Batman
    11. Sandman
    12. The Flash
    13. Hawkman
    14. Johnny Thunder
    15. The Whip

And these characters from other companies!
    16. Fantom of the Fair
    17. Blue Beetle
    18. Invisible Hood
    19. Doll Man
    20. Captain Marvel
    21. Ibis
    22. Spy Smasher

And that number is going to more than quadruple in the 40s! Wish me luck!