Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
    Retired

Default Holiday movies you strongly dislike

I was going to call this "Christmas movies I hate" but changed it because 1) we use "hate" too often 2) it shouldn't just be Christmas, there are other holidays and 3) why make it all about me?

But two movies come immediately to my mind: 1) A CHRISTMAS STORY (1983) and 2) THE POLAR EXPRESS (2004).

It seems like everyone else in my family (siblings, nephews, in-laws) all love A CHRISTMAS STORY. For some it's a holiday tradition to watch it every year. After hearing them constantly harp on how great it is, I finally sat down to watch it--and after twenty minutes, I had to turn it off, because it was sheer torture.

I actually watched THE POLAR EXPRESS in the the theatre when it came out. It's not just the uncanny valley that makes this movie a horror story. It's completely against the image of Santa, the North Pole and Santa's Workshop that I've held in my heart since I was a little boy. It strikes me as a movie made by adults who think they have something to teach children about Santa Claus.

Lately, on youtube, I get these ads for something at the Vancouver Aquarium, in Stanley Park, called THE POLAR EXPRESS EXPERIENCE. This might just be a dressed up version of the Christmas train in Stanley Park that has existed before I was even born. But it's just another example of adults trying to make THE POLAR EXPRESS happen--to push kids into accepting this hellish vision of Christmas. Because that's what adults like to do. They think they know better than kids what's good for them and constantly push their crap onto kids instead of letting them decide for themselves what they want.

There are a lot of holiday movies like this, that seem to have been made by people who were never children. They deconstruct Christmas and other holidays and manufacture their own mythologies. Contrary to that, a movie that I think gets everything right is ELF. The first time I saw that movie, I was glowing--it's like they knew exactly what I imagined Santa, the North Pole and Santa's Workshop should be. But those kind of movies are rare.

Another movie that I don't admire--but I have nothing against it--is MIRACLE ON 34TH STREET (1947 and 1994). It's an inoffensive Santa Claus story, but having seen it a few times over the years, I never need to see it again. It doesn't excite my interest. Give me BACHELOR MOTHER (1939)--now that's a department store holiday movie I can watch over and over and never get tired--you can't go wrong with Ginger Rogers and David Niven.

Extraordinary Member

I know it's sacrilege but I don't care for IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE. While it has an uplifting ending and a good message, I find it depressing. It's just not a film I want to see at Christmas.

I agree about A CHRISTMAS STORY as well. Never cared for it.

Also, this is a great idea for a thread. Can't wait to see what others post here. Thanks.

Astonishing Member useridgoeshere's Avatar

It’s a Wonderful Life, for sure. Never liked it. I usually leave the room if it’s on. SNL’s spoof ending where they figure out Potter stole the money and go beat him up was funny, but other than that, no.

Christmas with the Kranks. My partner thinks it’s hilarious. Another one where I leave the room. Ugh.

Boisterously Confused

Any of the Hallmark clone films.

But, beyond that bit of low hanging fruit: White Christmas. I actually don't dislike the film, but calling it a Christmas film is misrepresentative. It's a musical rom-com with a (not-bad) sub-plot about loyalty providing the McGuffin. The Christmas season and its meaning are merely scenery for it.

It's not really loved by anyone like some of the films others have said, but:

Basically Cousin Eddie and his family (as well as niece Audrey) get stuck on a deserted island during Christmas. Only interesting part is they managed to get the original Audrey and Ed Asner is in it to sort of try to recreate the "cranky/senile" jokes of the original.

The dog is also back for pretty much a lot of toilet humor.

It's basically kind of a sub-genre of direct-to-video sequels to Christmas movies (or Christmas sequels to non-Christmas films) which also included: Christmas Story 2 (Not to be confused with the more recent sequel) pretty much all the Home Alones after 3, Richie Rich's holiday wish, Jingle All the Way 2 (With Larry the Cable guy instead of Arnold)
    Last edited by ChrisIII; 12-10-2023 at 02:26 PM.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

I hate Its A Wonderful Life.

And anotehr one I hate that everyone seems to love is Elf. I cant stand that movie. Watched it once hated it and wont go back.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Home Alone, just annoying.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Unfortunately the iconic “that’s what Christmas is all about” scene has made me dislike A Charlie Brown Christmas. I can watch it up to that point. It’s like, damn Linus you preachy bastard, you just spent the entire special trying to find a Christmas tree which is one of many pagan traditions that your religion stole and claimed for themselves.

1. It's a Wonderful Life - Don't know if I have ever sat thru the whole thing.

2. Christmas with the Kranks - has 1 or 2 funny moments but is very stupid + Plus Dan Akroyd's character is annoying as hell.

3. Elf - Will Ferrell does the only thing he is good at - Yelling and running around in circles.

4. Santa Clause - only watched the 1st one like once, it was bad. How many of these have they made and now there is a series on Disney +?

5. Jim Carey's Grinch - painful to watch.
    Last edited by chachi; 12-11-2023 at 04:37 PM.

Mighty Member

Eight crazy nights. unfunny Adam Sandler cartoon. HATE the way the Columbia pictures lady is replaced by the unfunny Jewish lady character before they even introduce her ...

has DHAR MANN made any "good" ones?
    Last edited by AnthonyO'Brien; 12-10-2023 at 04:44 PM.

Anything Scrooge.

I agree about A Christmas Story. I think it's overrated. My g/f simply calls it boring.
    Watching television is not an activity.

The Santa Clause.

Grew up loving it, but as an adult I’m beginning to not like it. Charlie was annoying as hell.

Quote Originally Posted by krazijoe View Post
    Anything Scrooge.
    Even Bill Murray's Scrooged?

Quote Originally Posted by chachi View Post

3. Elf - Will Ferrell does the only thing he is good at - Yelling and running around in circles.
    I cant think of one Will Ferrell movie he doesnt do that and I cant think of one that I like. I enjoyed some of his stuff on SNL so I wanted to give his movies a chance but man did his bit get old quick.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.