Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    Even Bill Murray's Scrooged?
    Esdpecially Scrooged! Bah, humbug!
    [Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El 10-15-2020 12:32 PM]

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Like a Red Dragon, The Phoenix shall Soar in 2024!

Astonishing Member Godzilla2099's Avatar

Bad Santa

Billy Bob's character annoyed the crap out of me. Dude can work once a year if he wants, live an easy life, but was totally miserable most of the movie.

Retired

I've never watched SCROOGED or either theatrical version of THE GRINCH--Dr. Seuss's HOW THE GRINCH STOLE CHRISTMAS is a very short children's book, Chuck Jones' animated version is less than half an hour, what's the point in making it any longer?

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    White Christmas. I actually don't dislike the film, but calling it a Christmas film is misrepresentative. It's a musical rom-com with a (not-bad) sub-plot about loyalty providing the McGuffin. The Christmas season and its meaning are merely scenery for it.
    While I like some of the performances, I'm not buying what it's selling. For one thing, why would the men of the 151st division be so sentimental about the Major General in their command? From personal experience, grunts have no love for superior officers. There's a great gulf between the enlisted men who see action on the front lines and the brass who give out the orders that send those men to their deaths. The whole movie is a soft soap. And der Bingle already sang "White Christmas" in HOLIDAY INN (1942).

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

I can't think of any. And that makes sense. I don't watch a ton of holiday movies. So the ones I see are usually the well-regarded ones (and sure, I'm capable of not liking well-regarded movies, but I do like them in this case). Mercifully, I am spared the bad ones.
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 12-11-2023 at 11:43 AM.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

White Christmas and Holiday Inn, plus a ton of like movies from that era, are uncomfortable for me to watch because they essentially celebrate the institutional racism of the time. Wasn't intentional or thought out, it just was where Hollywood was at during that time frame - longingly looking at the days of blackface, minstrels, etc. while having no or very few black people and they are basically in the kitchen or in some other embarrassingly menial role. I'm nostalgic for some things from that era, but others like these movies I would just as soon never be bothered with again.

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    Esdpecially Scrooged! Bah, humbug!
    I hate and will always hate Scrooged!
    Last edited by Scott Taylor; 12-11-2023 at 12:09 PM.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    Even Bill Murray's Scrooged?
    Yup, even Mickey Mouse...

Astonishing Member useridgoeshere's Avatar

Some Scrooge movies, like Alistair Sims' or Bill Murray's, and the old Miracle on 34th Street have moments I love or am nostalgic for, but I never watch them all the way through.

Astonishing Member kingaliencracker's Avatar

I concur with the posters who said Elf and The Santa Clause.

I've never been able to sit all the way through Jim Carrey's Grinch.

And I've never seen Love Actually.

Elf for me. I find Will Ferrell's character extremely annoying.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    I've never watched SCROOGED or either theatrical version of THE GRINCH--Dr. Seuss's HOW THE GRINCH STOLE CHRISTMAS is a very short children's book, Chuck Jones' animated version is less than half an hour, what's the point in making it any longer?

While I like some of the performances, I'm not buying what it's selling. For one thing, why would the men of the 151st division be so sentimental about the Major General in their command? From personal experience, grunts have no love for superior officers. There's a great gulf between the enlisted men who see action on the front lines and the brass who give out the orders that send those men to their deaths. The whole movie is a soft soap. And der Bingle already sang "White Christmas" in HOLIDAY INN (1942).
    Yes, quite true. As for der Bingle singing White Christmas already, after all, the movie White Christmas is just a fancier remake/updated version of Holiday Inn., made in color.

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post

I hate and will always hate Scrooged!
    Glad to know someone else who also hates it!

Quote Originally Posted by krazijoe View Post
    Yup, even Mickey Mouse...
    Mickey's Christmas Carol has been a favorite of mine since I was a kid.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Greatest Story Ever Told, It insists on itself and is ponderous.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Muppet Christmas Carol. That thing is one of the creepiest movies, its basically a horror movie. I know that puts it somewhat in the "cult" category of movies but I just don't think its a good version of the tale at all.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Greatest Story Ever Told, It insists on itself and is ponderous.
    I didn't think of it as a Christmas movie but yes. I have liked some movies about Jesus but the Jesus if that movie is so ethereal as to not feel human in any way and the endless celebrity cameos, along with Heston chewing the scenery, totally takes me out of the story.
    Power with Girl is better.