Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Vegeta View Post
    Saving Christmas with Kirk Cameron. It's just awful.

I watched the Netflix "Hallmark" style rom-com, the Knight Before Christmas starring Vanessa Hudgens and it didn't make very good use of the time traveling Knight concept. He adapted to the modern world waaay too easy and the love interest didn't even for a moment doubt his claims (maybe he was a crazy, or a really annoying Medieval Times actor that won't break character) she even let's him borrow her car (which he drives perfectly fine!) even though she just met him. The story I imagined in my head was much better than what we got on film.

On the opposite side of the coin, Violent Night with David Harbour was fantastic. The concept was sooo stupid (it reminded me of the fake movie advertised in "Scrooged.") But everyone is playing it 100% serious and with such conviction that it is just sooo funny! I love the little girl's face lighting up with joy as she exclaims "SKULLCRUSHER!" when Santa holds up his favorite weapon. John Leguizamo is also great as the criminal mastermind with a deep rooted hate for the Christmas holiday.
    Saving Christmas is awful but it's so awful it's hilarious.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegeta View Post
    with Kirk Cameron. It's just awful.
    Well, that's just redundant.

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    Saving Christmas is awful but it's so awful it's hilarious.
    Yeah it seems his vision of Christmas is anti-Christmas to most people and just a rationalization for his own extravagance. Yet it apparently got high marks on some site because he specifically begged Fundamentalists to approve it.

I had thought about mentioning it but I consider it so low on the scale as to be beneath mentioning. Next, we'll be listing Kevin Sorbo Evangelical movies.
    Power with Girl is better.

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    Yeah it seems his vision of Christmas is anti-Christmas to most people and just a rationalization for his own extravagance. Yet it apparently got high marks on some site because he specifically begged Fundamentalists to approve it.

I had thought about mentioning it but I consider it so low on the scale as to be beneath mentioning. Next, we'll be listing Kevin Sorbo Evangelical movies.
    The funniest part is he tries to tie all the commercialization of Christmas into the religious aspect of the Holiday instead of talking about the actual religious side of the Holiday. So, instead of looking like a "Christian" trying to "reclaim" the Holiday comes off like a CEO trying to latch onto it to sell crap during the Holiday season. Then's there's just the production value which is awful. Saving Christmas is the perfect film to have friends over of a like mind drink some hard cider, mulled wine, or strong eggnog and have your own Christmas version of Mystery Science Theater 3,000.

Extraordinary Member From The Shadows's Avatar

ELF. I don't like Will Ferrel in it.

Of course one I wasn't a fan of--star wars holiday special.

It lives up to the "worst star wars" hype. First 20 min alone are a chore to get through. Cartoon is the best part.

Retired

I wonder if some holiday movies are really holiday movies. MEET ME IN ST. LOUIS (1944) is an account of a year in the life of a St. Louis family from 1903 to 1904. IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE (1946) is an examination of U.S. history from the 1920s through the 1930s and up to 1946, focusing on the economic and political developments during that time.

Christmas with the Kranks

The #1 thing that bugs me about holiday movies - it is always a perfect White Christmas with fresh snow on Christmas Morning. lol When the actual percentage chance a white Christmas in the US every year in less than 15%.

Quote Originally Posted by chachi View Post
    The #1 thing that bugs me about holiday movies - it is always a perfect White Christmas with fresh snow on Christmas Morning. lol When the actual percentage chance a white Christmas in the US every year in less than 15%.
    Everything about Christmas is a fantasy... and yes, I mean everything so why not?

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    Everything about Christmas is a fantasy... and yes, I mean everything so why not?
    except the alienation, disappointment, substance abuse, capitalist exploitation, domestic violence, and suicide. all that stuff is REAL!

oh, and birthdays are worthless and shouldn't be celebrated. wedding anniversaries too. all that stuff is just a petty contrivance to con people out of their time and money...

we should simply abolish holidays, festivals, and having fun in the name of true equality! ;-)

<sarcasm, because I -KNOW- somebody won't figure it out. we're stuck with holidays... might as well get some modicum of enjoyment out of them>

back to OP. since I have always despised Jim Carrey.... "How the Grinch Stole Christmas" gets my vote. my parents insisted that I watch it on TV... and I walked out inside of 15 minutes. just absolutely hated that thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Totoro Man View Post
    except the alienation, disappointment, substance abuse, capitalist exploitation, domestic violence, and suicide. all that stuff is REAL!

oh, and birthdays are worthless and shouldn't be celebrated. wedding anniversaries too. all that stuff is just a petty contrivance to con people out of their time and money...

we should simply abolish holidays, festivals, and having fun in the name of true equality! ;-)

<sarcasm, because I -KNOW- somebody won't figure it out. we're stuck with holidays... might as well get some modicum of enjoyment out of them>
    What are you even going on about? I was saying that since Christmas is all made up stuff anyway, why nitpick all the depictions of a white, snowy Christmas even if most people don't get snow? I was actually endorsing getting into the fun of it - so I'm sorry for missing whatever point you think you're making.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    I wonder if some holiday movies are really holiday movies. MEET ME IN ST. LOUIS (1944) is an account of a year in the life of a St. Louis family from 1903 to 1904. IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE (1946) is an examination of U.S. history from the 1920s through the 1930s and up to 1946, focusing on the economic and political developments during that time.
    I've only seen bits and pieces of 'Meet Me...', and don't feel it's a holiday movie. But if it has a Christmas scene in it, I can see why it would be played around the holidays. However, 'Wonderful Life' is definitely a Christmas movie as the bookends for the historical scenes are Christmas day.

Retired

Looking at one list of holiday movies, I found every film version of LITTLE WOMEN. That hardly seems right.

A lot of movies are set at Christmas, but don't seem to have anything to do with the holiday. Although, I will defend the original DIE HARD as a Christmas movie--it has Ludwig van Beethoven's freakin' "Ode to Joy" prominently on the soundtrack. Not having seen the sequels (yet), I don't know if they equally qualify.

Freude, schöner Götterfunken,
    Tochter aus Elysium,
    Wir betreten feuertrunken,
    Himmlische, dein Heiligtum!

Astonishing Member useridgoeshere's Avatar

The way I look at Christmas movie vs movie that happens around or at Christmas is, if you removed any reference to Christmas, would the movie change in any meaningful way. If yes, it’s a Christmas movie. If no, it’s not. Still subjective, but it’s my own lens.