Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    Anybody remember the Salkind's attempt to pretty much do SUPERMAN THE MOVIE with a big budget SANTA CLAUS movie? Also featured Dudley Moore, John Lithgow etc. and an extensive Mcdonalds promotion.
    Yes. I believe Daisy from Keeping up Appearances was Mrs. Claus.

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    I didn't think of it as a Christmas movie but yes. I have liked some movies about Jesus but the Jesus if that movie is so ethereal as to not feel human in any way and the endless celebrity cameos, along with Heston chewing the scenery, totally takes me out of the story.
    What's funny is that it's another Heston film that I think does the best job with Jesus. Ben-Hur - the character never speaks on camera, and you never see his face, but you can feel the presence at appropriate time in the narrative.
    Dark does not mean deep.

So my Arbor Day movie would be Silent Running, with basically a fantastically tree-focused hero along with his three robot sidekicks trying to save trees in space. That movie will seriously make you cry and want to plant a tree.

Day of the Triffids could also make a good Arbor Day horror style movie, with a few tweaks.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Maybe there'll be a Marvel Special starring Groot for Arbor Day.

I do want a James Gunn's Flag Day special with Rick Flagg. (whether it's a flashback or ... something else)

Quote Originally Posted by useridgoeshere View Post
    The way I look at Christmas movie vs movie that happens around or at Christmas is, if you removed any reference to Christmas, would the movie change in any meaningful way. If yes, it’s a Christmas movie. If no, it’s not. Still subjective, but it’s my own lens.
    Without Christmas in those movies, Alan Rickman gets away with it.
    I’ll don the mask and wear the cape
    If I am super, how can I wait?

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    Without Christmas in those movies, Alan Rickman gets away with it.
    Yes. "Die Hard" - Christmas movie. "Lethal Weapon" - not a Christmas movie. (who remembers it even took place around Christmas?)

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    Yes. "Die Hard" - Christmas movie. "Lethal Weapon" - not a Christmas movie. (who remembers it even took place around Christmas?)
    And Love Actually where his marital affair was thwarted by Rowan Atkinson's cinnamon stick while buying his mistress a gift.
    I’ll don the mask and wear the cape
    If I am super, how can I wait?

A Christmas Story. I can't stand it.

I remember liking it when I first saw it, but then the networks kept forcing it down our throats every holiday season, culminating in playing it on a loop for 24 hours. It completely turned me against the movie.

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    I hate Its A Wonderful Life.

And anotehr one I hate that everyone seems to love is Elf. I cant stand that movie. Watched it once hated it and wont go back.
    I refuse to watch Elf, because I can't stand Will Ferrell. The only thing he's ever done that I liked was his George W. Bush impersonation. That and banging a cowbell.

Boy, that last one sounded dirtier than I meant it to...

Retired

It's very comforting to see that so many other people don't like A CHRISTMAS STORY. I thought I was the only one. Thanks for the support.

As for ELF, as I said before, this is one of my favourite movies to watch at Christmastime--because it really feels like the North Pole and Santa Claus of my childhood. But I do understand not liking Will Ferrell. In most movies I find him very irritating. And I don't like Jim Carrey in any movies, so I can empathize with people who find certain actors so annoying.

However, ELF has James Caan and Mary Steenburgen and Zooey Deschanel and Ed Asner and BOB NEWHART!!!! It even has Leon Redbone in a special surprise appearance. On top of that it has charming set design and stop motion animation.

As for Will Ferrell, I feel that he did his best acting in ELF (even if his acting is never that great), because he let go of his usual bag of tricks and actually became the character, accessing his child self and giving a genuine performance. But I understand if people can't watch him in anything. It's okay.

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    Wait what? Lethal Weapon opens with "Jingle Bell Rock," has a shoot out at a Christmas tree lot and ends with Riggs choosing not to commit suicide and instead celebrate Christmas Day with Murtaugh and his family.
    "The White Queen welcomes you, TO DIE!"

Quote Originally Posted by Vegeta View Post
    Wait what? Lethal Weapon opens with "Jingle Bell Rock," has a shoot out at a Christmas tree lot and ends with Riggs choosing not to commit suicide and instead celebrate Christmas Day with Murtaugh and his family.
    This pair sure remember...

There's also this...

It hits you right over the head with that it is Christmas.

So is "Lethal Weapon" a Christmas movie or a movie that just takes place during Christmas? Does the holiday actually impact the story in any way? The movie starting out with Roger's birthday is as relevant if not more so, to the story.

Also, I'm not a fan of "The Santa Clause." Never saw the whole thing, but I just don't like Tim Allen. (aside from "Galaxy Quest", but that had more to do with everyone else in the cast and the writing - he just managed to not ruin it)

A Christmas Story. I can't stand it.

I remember liking it when I first saw it, but then the networks kept forcing it down our throats every holiday season, culminating in playing it on a loop for 24 hours. It completely turned me against the movie
    What did you think of the other 9 movies?

Remember mixed nuts with steve martin and adam sandler?

Man, I have not seen that movie in decades.