Default Researching Spider Cosplay

So, I'm doing a little personal project researching the history, culture and community of cosplay/costuming and the people there-in. My reasons are not for some university study but to simply gather information for those that want to know more about our hobby and community; how it works, where it originated from, etc.

I'm currently doing research specifically on the Spider-Man costuming community and I would love to get in contact with people who are knowledgeable of the history of "Spider Costuming"; the evolution of the suits, how it started, historic milestones amongst the community, trends, controversies, notable people and social areas/forums. Unique phrases. Everything and anything to do with the Spider community. I would love to learn and chat with people about it and discover everything there is to learn about our wide and wonderful costuming culture.

If you want to start researching Spider-man cosplay, you need to go back to the beginning. Spider-man Halloween costumes. I recommend you read up on the Ben Cooper Spider-man costume history and controversies.

Another thing worth mentioning is that for a cross promotion with the Spider-man Homecoming movie, a Japanese airline had a promotional flight where all 40 passengers were required to dress like Spider-man. There's quite a few interesting pictures of this online if you look.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    If you want to start researching Spider-man cosplay, you need to go back to the beginning. Spider-man Halloween costumes. I recommend you read up on the Ben Cooper Spider-man costume history and controversies.

Another thing worth mentioning is that for a cross promotion with the Spider-man Homecoming movie, a Japanese airline had a promotional flight where all 40 passengers were required to dress like Spider-man. There's quite a few interesting pictures of this online if you look.
    Thanks for the reply. After posting this topic in multiple cosplay and spider-man forums you are the first reply I've had. I would have thought the Spider costume community would be more interactive.

Also thanks for the tip on the Japan Osaka-Tokyo airline. Photos from the event kept popping up in Spider cosplay media but never had any context beyond it being a group of Spiders. Now I know!
    Last edited by Ruthborn; 12-12-2023 at 05:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruthborn View Post
    Thanks for the reply. After posting this topic in multiple cosplay and spider-man forums you are the first reply I've had. I would have thought the Spider costume community would be more interactive.

Also thanks for the tip on the Japan Osaka-Tokyo airline. Photos from the event kept popping up in Spider cosplay media but never had any context beyond it being a group of Spiders. Now I know!
    I'd also suggest you reading this article.
    https://hero-envy.blogspot.com/2017/...n-costume.html

I also found this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrWsVDCb2EQ A Complete History of Non-Movie SPIDER-MAN Suits

Looking into Spider costumers of note or people that are noted within the community: I've got Stan Lee, Andrew Garfield, Tony Hawk, Roy Thomas and Stephen Vrattos. Anyone else out there I should cover?

When did the whole "Spider Fit" thing start? Did it start with the actually Spider "Spider Fit" as seen on Youtube?