Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    Considering RotPoX is set in the future, Duggan's FotHoX might be the only place we see the Arakkii for the Blood Dawn involvement...if that's what Storm was referring to.
    Also X-Men Unlimited comics, I can imagine a lot of the threads will be tied there

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

What an appropriately epic finale for an epic series. As the most consistently great book in the Krakoan era, I think X-Men Red needs to be regarded as the crown achievement of this era, going further higher than even Jon Hickman's work at least on the ongoing X-Men book.

Ewing's prose here reached sublime heights, almost Claremontian heights I dare say, and I love how so many of the characters on Arakko got a nod and a moment to shine, however brief. This book ending will be a huge loss and I really hope other creators continue exploring this wonderful world Ewing lovingly fleshed out over the past couple of years.

This was kinda boring to me, it wasn't bad, just wasn't an epic ending. I was expecting more of a big explosion, bigger battle, more bang for my buck. To me kind of whimpped out.
    Some of us wait, some of us act.

I think this last arc of Red was kind of the weakest part of Lord Ewing's run, but I still will sing praises unto his name forevermore. Somehow this last 6 issues or so, after returning from SoS's Storm and the Brotherhood, weren't quite as amazing as everything that came before, but still it's heads and shoulders above the rest of the X-line. I think he had to compress things that could have unfolded for twice as many issues into a small space. Given how much he was still able to accomplish, it is impressive nonetheless.

I mean, Lord Claremont's last few issues weren't his best either. I enjoyed so much of what Ewing did write over these past few years, I'm not going to quibble over things I would have liked to have seen more of. Bring on the Resurrection of Magneto, and make mine Ewing!
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by LordAllMIghty View Post
    This was kinda boring to me, it wasn't bad, just wasn't an epic ending. I was expecting more of a big explosion, bigger battle, more bang for my buck. To me kind of whimpped out.
    At least Storm skillfully and successfully defeated Genisis all on her own.

Mighty Member

I think the Nova story might come up for Resurrection of Magneto. At least I hope.

Quote Originally Posted by charliehustle415 View Post
    Also X-Men Unlimited comics, I can imagine a lot of the threads will be tied there
    Yeah we have an "Arakko Holiday" next week, not sure if it's just the one issue but the covers for the next three issues feature Bei, Sunspot, and Storm.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncanny X-Man View Post
    What an appropriately epic finale for an epic series. As the most consistently great book in the Krakoan era, I think X-Men Red needs to be regarded as the crown achievement of this era, going further higher than even Jon Hickman's work at least on the ongoing X-Men book.

Ewing's prose here reached sublime heights, almost Claremontian heights I dare say, and I love how so many of the characters on Arakko got a nod and a moment to shine, however brief. This book ending will be a huge loss and I really hope other creators continue exploring this wonderful world Ewing lovingly fleshed out over the past couple of years.
    Hear, hear.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by RamaBird View Post
    I think the Nova story might come up for Resurrection of Magneto. At least I hope.
    I do not see what the big deal is with the resurrection of Magneto since the X-Men have Storm to deal with Orchis... Besides, Magneto could have been resurrected at any time despite his wishes just like any other mutant so why is this an occasion to make his return the blowout event of 2023?
    Last edited by Micabe; 12-13-2023 at 08:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Micabe View Post
    At least Storm skillfully and successfully defeated Genisis all on her own.
    Agree. Hell, I forgot about Nova.
    Some of us wait, some of us act.

I thought it was a solid ending. Not as epic of a battle as I had hoped, but battles don’t have to be long to be epic (Mags v Tarn). I’m super glad that Genesis and her kids are still around and I hope Pestilence gets rez’d. I also really want to see what happened on Phobos and Feilong’s reaction. As a few others have noted, Ewing’s endings sometimes fail to reach the levels of his beginnings and middles, oddly enough I feel the same way about Hickman, but the ideas and stories he tells are so big and so epic that I can understand why they feel underwhelming at times, that and the constraints of being in a never aging universe like Marvel comics means you can only do so much.

I am still insanely excited for his Magneto book and I hope he returns to the X-books someday soon. A+ for your efforts Mr. Ewing.
    You brought back Wolverine

The CBR Community Standards a.k.a how to get along.

I not happy to see this end, because frankly it was the one that kept me going back to the X-office for good story telling and because it gave me back the Ororo i missed, by that i mean the strong, wise and competent leader she was not the thing i read outside off this like her on the Krakoan Council, or in Marauders or worse how she was portrayed in Black Panther. There were also interesting characters such ass the Fisher King or how they handled Nova or Sunspot to name a few.

Astonishing Member

I was relieved to see Kobak Never-Held back on his feet after the battle. When he was lying on the ground with a bloody chest wound on the previous page I was worried that he was going to turn out to be one of the casualties of war.

I enjoyed this final issue, but I do agree with the general consensus that it would have benefited from being an extra-sized issue.

Ultimate Member

Also felt it was over too fast, and did not like how Genesis still is plotting against 'the Brotherhood' even after Annihilation's destruction. She really needs to die. Repeatedly, if that's what it takes to pound some sense into her thick skull. I know it's hard for her to square a 'strongest are most fit to rule' philosophy with someone who has literally lost or surrendered every big fight she's been in (against Annihilation, in X of Swords, against Apocalypse, and now against Storm), but really.

I like the potential of White Sword more than the reality. Still not a huge fan of Jon Ironfire, but he did his narrative job, so, good on him, I guess.

Fisher King did a thing. I haven't really known him long enough to care that much. I miss bug-Xilo. Xilo-wrapped Fisher King and Xilo-wrapped Ora Serrata aren't really doing it for me.

Interesting how on that last page, Hydro-Pharoah was trying to urge Psychosis to frame this whole thing in a way that direct her aggro towards Orchis. Is yet another of her children being positioned to maybe peel away, like Death did, having more A) sanity and B) commitment to the ideals she mouths but never actually follows than she does? Or will Genesis (or War) murdalize him if he so much as twitches in that direction? I'd bet the latter, actually...

Ha, Sunspot got a moment to shine. Literally.

On balance, Ewing's run has been fantastic. But this Arrako war arc has been an inevitable lowlight. Its few (if any) memorable battles and character beats have made it feel more like a drawn out plot than story. Which is odd because the ending also feels rushed. And then there were too many macguffins that are vulnerable to dropping (e.g., the Purity sword! Annihilation's staff!).

It seems telling the Krakoan era's writers attempted to evolve the X-Men by not using them. However, Ewing was the rare writer who did strong character work with the occasional established character. But this last arc was weighed down with new characters that seemed like low stakes stand-ins for existing characters. At times, Fisher King and White Sword seemed to encroach on Magneto. Jon Ironfire seemed like the fanfic Wolverine that wasn't available for use in this book. Which is disappointing because, if Wolverine was off limits, Ewing seemed to have a solid grasp and distinct voice ready for Thunderbird. During this issue Annihilation's attempt to corrupt Storm sounded an awful lot like Phoenix and Jean's first conversation on the space shuttle.

Can't imagine X-Men stories going back to playing baseball at the mansion. But I would be happy to buy a Ewing book, on the regular, featuring classic characters going on adventures.
    Last edited by HomoSuperior; 12-14-2023 at 04:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by HomoSuperior View Post
    On balance, Ewing's run has been fantastic. But this Arrako war arc has been an inevitable lowlight. Its few (if any) memorable battles and character beats have made it feel more like a drawn out plot than story. Which is odd because the ending also feels rushed. And then there were too many macguffins that are vulnerable to dropping (e.g., the Purity sword! Annihilation's staff!).

It seems telling the Krakoan era's writers attempted to evolve the X-Men by not using them. However, Ewing was the rare writer who did strong character work with the occasional established character. But this last arc was weighed down with new characters that seemed like low stakes stand-ins for existing characters. At times, Fisher King and White Sword seemed to encroach on Magneto. Jon Ironfire seemed like the fanfic Wolverine that wasn't available for use in this book. Which is disappointing because, if Wolverine was off limits, Ewing seemed to have a solid grasp and distinct voice ready for Thunderbird. During this issue Annihilation's attempt to corrupt Storm sounded an awful lot like Phoenix and Jean's first conversation on the space shuttle.

Can't imagine X-Men stories going back to playing baseball at the mansion. But I would be happy to buy a Ewing book, on the regular, featuring classic characters going on adventures.
    Yeah I liked Ironfire in the SoS mini, but I don’t think he landed as well in his present day appearances. I was thoroughly missing Thunderbird and Whiz Kid in this arc.