Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Ultimate Member

Please no young Warren left in the present with no history and no reason for being there other than being ignored so perhaps if the Dead X team does its job adult Warren will be back good as new...

Quote Originally Posted by Mutant X View Post
    Why put so much effort into developing these characters for four issues and then present this rushed ending?

Gambit was part of this for no reason at all.

Emplate mysterious debt solved with Azazel's silly death.

Feint knowing Madelyne's looks before her fall makes no sense.

I'm very disappointed.
    Alex showed a photo of them in the outback era.

I Liked this ending. Maddy is wrong anyway. she can lead the thing is she is 90's venom to jean Spiderman. She can be a force of good. a brutal and murderer one but good anyway

Astonishing Member

There was no need for Emplate and Azzazel to be on this roster, they did nothing until this issue and their actions added nothing to the plot.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mutant X View Post
    Why put so much effort into developing these characters for four issues and then present this rushed ending?

Gambit was part of this for no reason at all.

Emplate mysterious debt solved with Azazel's silly death.

Feint knowing Madelyne's looks before her fall makes no sense.

I'm very disappointed.
    Gambit was there to be the only sane man and moral center of the 'team'. Emplate and Azazel were the pointless ones.

Quote Originally Posted by king81992 View Post
    There was no need for Emplate and Azzazel to be on this roster, they did nothing until this issue and their actions added nothing to the plot.
    Quote Originally Posted by king81992 View Post
    Gambit was there to be the only sane man and moral center of the 'team'. Emplate and Azazel were the pointless ones.
    I think Emplate was there just because the guy is a monster. He is a horror monster taken into the world of X-men.

Azazel was there to be killed. Foxe saw a way for a monster version of Kurt doing it and liked the symmetry of it. That’s my take.

I also think Emplate at the end here serves as an interesting reminder of the villainous mutants that back out in the wild so to speak. With Krakoa offline there aren't currently any mutant squads to retrieve him and bring him in. I've always liked the idea that if Krakoa fell then the villains would all be out there again having to be dealt with.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Fantastic Member

my favorite thing about this mini series and especially the conclusion is how I didn’t evolve in just sentimentality for Maddie. I love that there’s a slight ambiguity as to whether or not she’s ““ good. Gambit *thinks* she’ll come in for the Calvary but who knows? That last image made me LOL a little. The camp, the genuine horror and some nice superheroics made a string conclusion for a rushed mini.

Seeing warren in the bottom of the river was a serious twist of the knife, Foxe, damn.

Maddy is bad, but the good kind of Bad.

Jean is moral and a good person , Maddy can be amoral but for the right reasons.

Maybe the title can live in the magic corner or the x corner of the marvel universe

Holy **** I didnt even realize that was supposed to be Warren at the bottom of the ocean/lake/river. (sorry I forgot where that scenes takes place)

Gotta go re read it now.

Was kinda hoping they would have de-monstered Emplate and shown Phantazia.

I enjoyed the series. Too bad it wasn’t ongoing.
    TO KNOW HER IS TO FEAR HER: JESSICA DREW THE SPIDER-WOMAN
    BE SURE TO CHECK OUT THE NEW 2024 SPIDER-WOMAN SERIES by STEVE FOXE!!!

MISSING:
    Synch's Aura
    Northstar and Aurora's shiny hair
    Spider-Woman’s cowl costume

Extraordinary Member Master of Sound's Avatar

Let's hope Archangel wil not be dead for long.
    "COURAGE, DON'T YOU DARE LET ME DOWN"
    ==================================================
    ==================================================

Read it. I stand to what I said.
    As a stand-alone, it was a brilliant read. It has the perfect art for the mood/theme, the perfect "rhythm", a good balance between serious and "comic" lines. It has a "cinematic" ending, the kind you would get as series finale for a tv show. It makes you "care", allow me this term, even for characters you wouldn't give a [bip] like, say, Azazel.

The problem, IMHO, is that this isn't a stand-alone with original characters nor this is a final send-off. The finale works because you get a bittersweet ending (some have an happy ending, some don't. Maggot is smiling and seems happy, while Warren is gone, Remy has reunited with Rogue and brought Carmen to safety, and Maddy has defeated her enemy and is now in a better place and has Alex at her side, but Emplate is free to roam and kill people). I'll say it, despite being Warren's fan, the final pages are PERFECT.
    But.
    It's a finale that you expect from a story that is finished. Not a story that is meant to be just one title in a long list of endless comic life.
    Not sure if I managed to explain myself.

Partial off-topic. What is the policy about "spoiler-y" avatars (if there's one)? I want to change mine to Warren's skull from this issue. How much should I wait to be polite and not spoil people? Next week? Sooner? Later?
    Thanks.
    First Warren in Dark X-Men #1, and then Genis-Vell in Captain Marvel #1. Seriously, Marvel?!
    Avatar reflecting my mood. I couldn't stand the sunny high-flying Angel one anymore.

As a final issue, I thought it was fine. The wrap up to the story was satisfying, even if it was very rushed. I kind of laughed at how quickly and easily the two magic mercenaries were killed off, though. I'm not 100% happy with where they left Maddie, but overall I think this mini did a good job developing her from where Dark Web left off. I loved how Azazel got ripped in half and Emplate just skipped on out of there. Lastly, I think this was a VERY strong showing for Remy and Carmen. Before this I didn't give a single damn about Carmen, but now I like her quite a bit. And poor Remy desperately needed some love after that godawful Rogue & Gambit mini.

Those are the positives. Now the negatives.

I'm not happy at all with where this left Alex. He was in a pretty rough spot, mentally and emotionally, before this mini began and it seems like he's in the same place. There was no development for his mental health issues I could see, and he's just as emotionally dependent on Maddie as he was before. The only difference is he's now a zombie or something. IMO this mini did him no favors. Then of course, we come to Warren. My favorite X-Man since I was a kid in the 90's and thought his metal wings were the coolest thing ever. A founding member of the X-Men. Killed off and forgotten like he was nothing. Not one character said a word about him after his death. Remy felt bad for having to do it in the moment, but that's it. And before that, Warren had exactly ONE speech balloon of dialogue for the issues he appeared in. Albert and Elsie Dee were treated with more respect.

This probably sounds over-the-top bitter, but remember the context. For the entirety of the Krakoa Era, Warren had two lackluster mini's, and a handful of cameos. That's it. So for this to be the end of Warren's character for the time being, yeah, I'm a little bitter about it. Especially thinking back to how excited I was when Dark X-Men was announced and we got that first cover. It's just a really bad feeling to be hopeful about something just for it to turn out to be the complete opposite, and actually make things worse.
    Last edited by Til; 12-13-2023 at 02:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Til View Post
    This probably sounds over-the-top bitter, but remember the context. For the entirety of the Krakoa Era, Warren had two lackluster mini's, and a handful of cameos. That's it. So for this to be the end of Warren's character for the time being, yeah, I'm a little bitter about it. Especially thinking back to how excited I was when Dark X-Men was announced and we got that first cover. It's just a really bad feeling to be hopeful about something just for it to turn out to be the complete opposite, and actually make things worse.
    I feel the same, the very same, down to the commas. As I said before, though, it makes sense and with hindsight we've been idiot in expecting a different outcome: Warren's ending is consistent with how he started in the Krakoa-era (House of X), it's a circle coming close. I say this in the most bitter way I could.
    First Warren in Dark X-Men #1, and then Genis-Vell in Captain Marvel #1. Seriously, Marvel?!
    Avatar reflecting my mood. I couldn't stand the sunny high-flying Angel one anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Til View Post
    As a final issue, I thought it was fine. The wrap up to the story was satisfying, even if it was very rushed. I kind of laughed at how quickly and easily the two magic mercenaries were killed off, though. I'm not 100% happy with where they left Maddie, but overall I think this mini did a good job developing her from where Dark Web left off. I loved how Azazel got ripped in half and Emplate just skipped on out of there. Lastly, I think this was a VERY strong showing for Remy and Carmen. Before this I didn't give a single damn about Carmen, but now I like her quote a bit. And poor Remy desperately needed some love after that godawful Rogue & Gambit mini.

Those are the positives. Now the negatives.

I'm not happy at all with where this left Alex. He was in a pretty rough spot, mentally and emotionally, before this mini began and it seems like he's in the same place. There was no development for his mental health issues I could see, and he's just as emotionally dependent on Maddie as he was before. The only difference is he's now a zombie or something. IMO this mini did him no favors. Then of course, we come to Warren. My favorite X-Man since I was a kid in the 90's and thought his metal wings were the coolest thing ever. A founding member of the X-Men. Killed off and forgotten like he was nothing. Not one character said a word about him after his death. Remy felt bad for having to do it in the moment, but that's it. And before that, Warren had exactly ONE speech balloon of dialogue for the issues he appeared in. Albert and Elsie Dee were treated with more respect.

Not at all. I pretty much agree with everything you said.

I thought about Warrens involvement some weeks ago and he had a cool moment in issue 1 when he ripped open the doors to the truck and then Albert got activated. That was it, after that it was his corpse. Heck even his corpse had about the same amount of panels in issue 3 as he had in issue 1.
    Warren was a misdirect. Alex pretty much the same. Both are setup but then fizzle out, in Warrens case it’s the worst kind, the permanent one.

So as a long term format of telling stories this could build to cool things. Emphasize on COULD. As it stands now I know nothing. I will pick up next weeks one-shot to see if it tackles Warrens death. But it’s Greg Land… Sigh.