Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Alex Garland's Civil War (A24)

Looks pretty interesting, and I've enjoyed pretty much everything from this director too, so I will probably go see it
    love is the real "success."
    Free Palestine! 🇵🇸Ceasefire NOW!
    They/Them

Fantastic Member

I don't know seems really on the nose and uninspired.

Quote Originally Posted by Nods View Post
    It was inevitably going to happen and better that it comes from an accomplished filmmaker like Garland and doesn't appear to be exploitative
    love is the real "success."
    Free Palestine! 🇵🇸Ceasefire NOW!
    They/Them

uninspired and on the nose?

Looks interesting, but California and Texas joining forces talk about fiction.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by choptop View Post
    uninspired and on the nose?
    On the nose means incredibly obvious....the multi-racial group of survivors travels are going to defeat the evil people who are mostly going to be white men. As a matter of fact I think I could piece together the entire film based on that trailer if I really wanted to study it.

Uninspired is that this the setup of DMZ, Walking Dead, The Last of Us, Designated Survivor, Jericho, I think a show called Blackout.

Ultimate Member

I wonder how loud they'll yell 'Both sides of the political spectrum!', when it's only one side rolling back rights for women, storming the capital and turning a blind eye to white supremacists

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    I wonder how loud they'll yell 'Both sides of the political spectrum!', when it's only one side rolling back rights for women, storming the capital and turning a blind eye to white supremacists
    I really hope they don't.

The Texas/California thing is a little rich considering the horror the conservatives are putting on women there (i.e Texas).
    Last edited by Username taken; 12-13-2023 at 04:30 PM.

On the nose means incredibly obvious....the multi-racial group of survivors travels are going to defeat the evil people who are mostly going to be white men. As a matter of fact I think I could piece together the entire film based on that trailer if I really wanted to study it.

Uninspired is that this the setup of DMZ, Walking Dead, The Last of Us, Designated Survivor, Jericho, I think a show called Blackout.
    I mean it's a apocalypse kinda movie survivors traveling is kinda needed plot point that doesn't really mean it's a bad thing it's like saying zombies eat people in every zombie movie...

However I don't really understand the other things you're saying the villans are white men? The survivors are going to defeat the villans? How do you know all this from the trailer and why does that make it bad?

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    I really hope they don't.

The Texas/California thing is a little rich considering the horror the conservatives are putting on women there (i.e Texas).
    This is a different universe from ares things have played out differently it may be something like the NFF from the purge.

I feel like I missed something in the trailer? Wean do they say what the villans politics are? I thought it was just some organization or rogue power that's some how taken power in the USA?

Ultimate Member

I feel like I missed something in the trailer? Wean do they say what the villans politics are? I thought it was just some organization or rogue power that's some how taken power in the USA?
    Well, it's titled 'Civil War', so I imagine the civil war in this movie, set in the United States, will be premised on existing political models, in the United States.

Call me crazy.

As for the both sides complaint, that may be leaping to conclusions, but I've seen far too many people claim the issue is 'both sides', as one side keeps pulling farther to the right while demanding to be met in the middle.

Well, it's titled 'Civil War', so I imagine the civil war in this movie, set in the United States, will be premised on existing political models, in the United States.

Call me crazy.

As for the both sides complaint, that may be leaping to conclusions, but I've seen far too many people claim the issue is 'both sides', as one side keeps pulling farther to the right while demanding to be met in the middle.
    Doesn't sound like it has anything really to do with existing political models.

https://screenrant.com/what-caused-c...ar-2024-movie/

Ultimate Member

Doesn't sound like it has anything really to do with existing political models.

https://screenrant.com/what-caused-c...ar-2024-movie/
    The writer of that article doesn't have anymore information about the movie than I do.

Fantastic Member

I mean it's a apocalypse kinda movie survivors traveling is kinda needed plot point that doesn't really mean it's a bad thing it's like saying zombies eat people in every zombie movie...

However I don't really understand the other things you're saying the villans are white men? The survivors are going to defeat the villans? How do you know all this from the trailer and why does that make it bad?
    Well to start off with a Zombie isn't great just because it has Zombies in it. This feels like a story that's been done to death.

Now the problem with the trailer is it looks like it's given away the entire film. The story they are telling is also one we've seen many times before. The film doesn't seem to have anything original in it...it's pablum.