Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Astonishing Member CaptainUniverse's Avatar

Default J.M. DeMatteis returns for SPIDER-MAN: SHADOW OF THE GREEN GOBLIN

It looks like we are going back to the early years of Spider-Man for this one in order to unearth the mystery of The Proto-Goblin!

https://www.marvel.com/articles/comi...nkId=254825027

"The Enigma Force is not a tool to be manipulated by mortals. The Enigma Force comes to those it deems worthy. What temerity, what arrogance, makes you think you are worthy? Have you not all made mistakes? Unforgiveable ones?" - Captain Universe

"Call me an Avenging Angel, Baron, come to safeguard Earth...call me CAPTAIN UNIVERSE!" - Ray Coffin

"You're my heart, Mary Jane Watson...you're my jackpot." - Peter Parker

I always forget there was a proto-Goblin.

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

Not a fan of proto-goblins, but it's JMD on Spidey so the money is already spent. Lol.
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

Wig Over The Hoodie Style IamnotJudasTraveller's Avatar

Between Gregor's vow of revenge and now the Proto-Goblin, it seems editorial is fond of pitching Mackie's loose ends to DeMatteis.

But, despite my absolute fondness for the guy's talent, have to say that premise-wise this is definitely the one that sparks the least interest out of the throwback minis he's handled so far.
    Discovering/CONFESSING! the nature of evil... one retcon at a time.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by IamnotJudasTraveller View Post
    Between Gregor's vow of revenge and now the Proto-Goblin, it seems editorial is fond of pitching Mackie's loose ends to DeMatteis.

But, despite my absolute fondness for the guy's talent, have to say that premise-wise this is definitely the one that sparks the least interest out of the throwback minis he's handled so far.
    Yeah. It’s funny, each subsequent mini ranks lower on my level of interest. I was super pumped for the Ben Reilly mini, kinda interested in the Lost Hunt mini, but this one… he’s really going back to an obscure issue from a forgotten month-long event of minus 1 issues? I wasn’t even sure it was still canon. And this was like the weakest issue out of the Spidey books that month (my favorite was probably the Dezago/Wieringo Sensational issue with Pete and Uncle Ben fighting off old Marvel monsters).

I’ll still pick it up because it’s JMD… but honestly, I wish he was doing another Ben Reilly mini.

"We take an equally-deep dive into the dysfunctional dynamic of the Osborn family, seeing how that generational pain sowed the earliest seeds of Norman’s Green Goblin identity and left its traumatic imprint on Harry," he added. "If you think you know everything there is to know about Peter and the Osborns, think again!"
    I am DELIGHTED. (Fun fact: This news dropped on Harry Osborn's canonical birthday.)
    harryosborn.net -Me rereading every single comic that has Harry Osborn in it, and also writing some articles.

Mighty Member

I like this pitch - it's not really a JMD greatest hits story (I enjoyed Lost Hunt and BR, but both were playing off of big parts of JMD's various runs), it's in an era we haven't been focused on recently, and it's going to focus on a character w/o much in the way of continuity, so anything can happen. I wouldn't be shocked if JMD seeds a few plot ideas for future minis - he could do Goblin-adjacent stories in so many eras.
    Blue text denotes sarcasm

Fantastic Member

I'd love JMD to do a mini resolving the Mad Jack mystery, cause no way I buy it being Becks cousin.

well we never did see a body if i remember from reading that issue. wonder if Arthur is coming back now and by extension paul and jill? Cause where I am in my readthrough of ASM I really dont care for them but I do hate Paul Stacy. oh look at that I'm finally hating Paul guys
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jman27 View Post
    well we never did see a body if i remember from reading that issue. wonder if Arthur is coming back now and by extension paul and jill? Cause where I am in my readthrough of ASM I really dont care for them but I do hate Paul Stacy. oh look at that I'm finally hating Paul guys
    Considering Paul Stacy at one point fell in with the Empire State University's chapter of the so-called Friends of Humanity and was involved with them in harassing a mutant student who had to be defended by Peter and Mary Jane . . .

That said, J.M. DeMatteis exploring hidden facets of the Osborn/Goblin legacy and the traumatic impact that left on Peter and Harry . . . I'd be more than good with that.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I always forget there was a proto-Goblin.
    same here
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Quote Originally Posted by t-spider View Post
    I'd love JMD to do a mini resolving the Mad Jack mystery, cause no way I buy it being Becks cousin.
    Me either, and that would be epic.

Quote Originally Posted by HypnoHustler View Post
    Yeah. It’s funny, each subsequent mini ranks lower on my level of interest. I was super pumped for the Ben Reilly mini, kinda interested in the Lost Hunt mini, but this one… he’s really going back to an obscure issue from a forgotten month-long event of minus 1 issues? I wasn’t even sure it was still canon. And this was like the weakest issue out of the Spidey books that month (my favorite was probably the Dezago/Wieringo Sensational issue with Pete and Uncle Ben fighting off old Marvel monsters).

I’ll still pick it up because it’s JMD… but honestly, I wish he was doing another Ben Reilly mini.
    You and me both, man...

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JustLuke View Post
    You and me both, man...
    Thirded . . . I'd especially love to see a follow-up to Spider-Man: Redemption with Ben and Kaine (and Janine/Elizabeth, of course).
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Oh, for the record I will buy this one because a) it isn't current 616 Spidey, and b) it is a J.M. DeMatteis story.