Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

what exactly are all the plot threads that are supposed to be readdressed here?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by HypnoHustler View Post
    Yeah. It’s funny, each subsequent mini ranks lower on my level of interest. I was super pumped for the Ben Reilly mini, kinda interested in the Lost Hunt mini, but this one… he’s really going back to an obscure issue from a forgotten month-long event of minus 1 issues? I wasn’t even sure it was still canon. And this was like the weakest issue out of the Spidey books that month (my favorite was probably the Dezago/Wieringo Sensational issue with Pete and Uncle Ben fighting off old Marvel monsters).

I’ll still pick it up because it’s JMD… but honestly, I wish he was doing another Ben Reilly mini.
    I'm interested in Dematteis writing the teenage Spider-Man early in his career when he hadn't figured out how to be a hero yet because I don't recall him ever writing that version of Spider-Man before. I always find the Lee/Ditko era Peter interesting because of how unpredictable and jerk-ish could be, despite his obviously heroic traits emerging. He was an interesting, volatile character filled with inner conflict and contradictions. When I went through those early stories recently, I found that such a believable approach to how a bullied, frustrated kid coping with a tragedy would behave, despite his noble intentions.

Dematteis is a great Spidey writer obviously and he said writing that rookie Peter that hasn't figured things out yet appealed to him, so I'm really excited about that angle.

Obviously, I would also love another Ben Reilly mini, but this might be more interesting than it seems.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    what exactly are all the plot threads that are supposed to be readdressed here?
    the assume return of Nels van Adder and for giggles something kraven related
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Refrax5 View Post
    I'm interested in Dematteis writing the teenage Spider-Man early in his career when he hadn't figured out how to be a hero yet because I don't recall him ever writing that version of Spider-Man before. I always find the Lee/Ditko era Peter interesting because of how unpredictable and jerk-ish could be, despite his obviously heroic traits emerging. He was an interesting, volatile character filled with inner conflict and contradictions. When I went through those early stories recently, I found that such a believable approach to how a bullied, frustrated kid coping with a tragedy would behave, despite his noble intentions.

Dematteis is a great Spidey writer obviously and he said writing that rookie Peter that hasn't figured things out yet appealed to him, so I'm really excited about that angle.

Obviously, I would also love another Ben Reilly mini, but this might be more interesting than it seems.
    I get you. I love JMD. He’s just about my favorite Spidey writer. But I’m not sure how his dark, introspective style will fit in with the classic Lee/Ditko issues. The only one who I thought was kind of successful at this was Kurt Busiek with his ‘Untold Tales’ series. He managed to modernize some aspects, like the dialogue, without making it seem jarringly updated or out-of-place when read in tandem with the Lee/Ditko originals. I’ll definitely pick up this mini and give it a shot. And you make some solid points about early Spidey being a jerk (which I attribute to Ditko’s influence… that was almost all gone when Romita took over).

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by HypnoHustler View Post
    I get you. I love JMD. He’s just about my favorite Spidey writer. But I’m not sure how his dark, introspective style will fit in with the classic Lee/Ditko issues. The only one who I thought was kind of successful at this was Kurt Busiek with his ‘Untold Tales’ series. He managed to modernize some aspects, like the dialogue, without making it seem jarringly updated or out-of-place when read in tandem with the Lee/Ditko originals. I’ll definitely pick up this mini and give it a shot. And you make some solid points about early Spidey being a jerk (which I attribute to Ditko’s influence… that was almost all gone when Romita took over).
    I definitely attribute it to Ditko also, but it definitely makes sense for a kid like Peter to act that way. Even in the post Ditko era, Peter had moments of losing his temper and acting like a jerk. He's a good guy, of course, but that edge to him and his flaws as a person are a large part of what makes him interesting and relatable as a character.

I get what you mean about JMD's style perhaps being an odd fit for that era of Peter, but it'll be interesting at least.

Astonishing Member CaptainUniverse's Avatar

AIPT has an early look at Shadow of the Green Goblin #1.

https://aiptcomics.com/2024/03/01/ma...reen-goblin-1/
    "The Enigma Force is not a tool to be manipulated by mortals. The Enigma Force comes to those it deems worthy. What temerity, what arrogance, makes you think you are worthy? Have you not all made mistakes? Unforgiveable ones?" - Captain Universe

"Call me an Avenging Angel, Baron, come to safeguard Earth...call me CAPTAIN UNIVERSE!" - Ray Coffin

"You're my heart, Mary Jane Watson...you're my jackpot." - Peter Parker

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Refrax5 View Post
    I definitely attribute it to Ditko also, but it definitely makes sense for a kid like Peter to act that way. Even in the post Ditko era, Peter had moments of losing his temper and acting like a jerk. He's a good guy, of course, but that edge to him and his flaws as a person are a large part of what makes him interesting and relatable as a character.

I get what you mean about JMD's style perhaps being an odd fit for that era of Peter, but it'll be interesting at least.
    Indeed. And while early Peter was or could be a jerk . . . he was a jerk because he was an outcast, shunned and rejected by his peers for having interests and goals that they couldn't (and perhaps didn't want to) understand, and with no friends or support system outside his Uncle Ben and Aunt May, it was fairly understandable that he got as bitter as he did.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Indeed. And while early Peter was or could be a jerk . . . he was a jerk because he was an outcast, shunned and rejected by his peers for having interests and goals that they couldn't (and perhaps didn't want to) understand, and with no friends or support system outside his Uncle Ben and Aunt May, it was fairly understandable that he got as bitter as he did.
    where I differ with a lot of the folks out there is the suggestion that Peter was an egotistical nerd-maniac during that era, the "Sheldon" of his world. Nothing could be further from the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    where I differ with a lot of the folks out there is the suggestion that Peter was an egotistical nerd-maniac during that era, the "Sheldon" of his world. Nothing could be further from the truth.
    Exactly. He wanted to be friends with people his own age. He just couldn't relate to their interests, and they couldn't relate to his, which was what caused a lot of the distance and alienation he experienced from them.

Oh hey, Gwen.

Wig Over The Hoodie Style IamnotJudasTraveller's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainUniverse View Post
    AIPT has an early look at Shadow of the Green Goblin #1.

https://aiptcomics.com/2024/03/01/ma...reen-goblin-1/
    What this preview shows us is that Spencer's run happened, but Sins Past will always be canon in our hearts.
    Discovering/CONFESSING! the nature of evil... one retcon at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Exactly. He wanted to be friends with people his own age. He just couldn't relate to their interests, and they couldn't relate to his, which was what caused a lot of the distance and alienation he experienced from them.
    and when people tried to relate or include him or when he finally attempts to join them good ole spider-man gets in the way.

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

Quote Originally Posted by IamnotJudasTraveller View Post
    What this preview shows us is that Spencer's run happened, but Sins Past will always be canon in our hearts.
    i dont see how but yeah Sin Past is still strong

Extraordinary Member

I got no interest in this. It is just the long running "let's put out another Spider-Man book" attitude that pushes so many unused characters further back.
    All I wanted was to be unconditionally loved while never having to work on my flaws. Is that so much to ask?

Quote Originally Posted by Jman27 View Post
    and when people tried to relate or include him or when he finally attempts to join them good ole spider-man gets in the way.
    Oh, yeah.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris0013 View Post
    I got no interest in this. It is just the long running "let's put out another Spider-Man book" attitude that pushes so many unused characters further back.
    Fair point there about shelf space that could be going to developing and promoting more underused (or unused) characters.