Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Films You Think Should Be Added to the National Film Registry

It's always interesting every year to see which movies gets selected for preservation.

You know the criteria: the feature film/short film/documentary has to be at least ten years old, and must be historically, culturally or aesthetically significant.

From the top of my head, I'm shocked Batman 1989 isn't in it yet or The Blair Witch Project. Both left their marks on cinema and pop culture.

Definitely, my choice would be SPEED (1994):

Good question.

The list is easy to customize.

https://www.loc.gov/programs/nationa...istry-listing/

You could nominate a film.

https://www.loc.gov/programs/nationa...istry-listing/

They summed up the criteria.

he Library of Congress invites you to submit your recommendations for the 2024 National Film Registry. Public nominations play a key role when the Librarian and National Film Preservation Board are considering their final selections. To be eligible for the Registry, a film must be at least 10 years old and be "culturally, historically, or aesthetically significant."

Registry criteria does not specifically prohibit television programs, commercials, music videos or foreign productions, however, the original intent of the legislation that established the Registry was to safeguard U.S. films. Consequently the National Film Preservation Board and the Librarian of Congress give first consideration to American motion pictures.

The Registry is intended to reflect American society and the rich tapestry of American cinema since its inceptions around 1890. To that end, we strongly encourage the nomination of the full-range of American film-making: not just Hollywood classics or other well-known works, but also silent era titles, documentaries, avant-garde, educational and industrial films, as well as films representing the vibrant unmatched diversity of American culture, both in terms of content and all those who created these snapshots of America society: directors, writers, actors and actresses, cinematographers, and other crafts.
    Some that come to mind in reverse-chronological order...

The Social Network- I'm sure it'll be included in the next few years. It's early in its eligibility, but it reveals the betrayal and broken friendship at the heart of a ubiquitous program.

Idiocracy- Unfortunately, it's quite prescient.

The New World- Possibly the best film about European contact with the Americas.

Spider-Man- A massive hit that solidified Marvel as a dominant force in film.

The Truman Show- Tackled reality TV of the time, and where it was leading.

Good Will Hunting- Exemplifies the idea that genius can come from anywhere.

Crumb- Great documentary about a figure in a uniquely American movement.

My Cousin Vinny- Great take on the Italian-American experience and American legal system.

Total Recall- Sci-fi as an engine for philosophy.

Evil Dead 2- The best of indie horror?

Trading Places- Good comedy about race and the American stock market which led to actual reforms. Also includes star-confirming performances by Eddie Murphy and Jamie Lee Curtis

Town Bloody Hall- A combination of cinema verite documentary filmmaking and discussion of important topics.

The Shootist- John Wayne ends one of the best careers ever with one of the best final performances.

News From Home- An influential documentary which is intimate (letters from the director to her mother) but also depicts New York in the 70s.

Farewell to Manzanar- A TV movie about Japanese-American internment camps.

Once Upon a Time in America- Not included already? What the hell?

The Miracle Worker- Iconic performances by Patty Duke and Anne Bancroft. Tackles disability and education.

Harvey- Iconic Jimmy Stewart performance. Good showcase for Josephine Hull. Influence on Donnie Darko.

Billion Dollar Limited- Probably the most iconic of the Superman shorts.

The Invisible Man- Iconic horror villain.

The Old Dark House- Classic strangers come upon a weird mansion horror.

Steamboat Round the Bend- Probably the best of Will Rogers on film.

Underworld- A silent crime classic.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    Idiocracy- Unfortunately, it's quite prescient.
    The Youtube channel Wisecrack made a good point about this. They argue that it didn't predict our present, because what it predicted was a world ruined by rampant anti-intellectualism (which was a problem more when the movie was made). But where we are now, the problem is rampant pseudo-intellectualism.

Spirited away.

Retired

So this is just U.S. movies then? And it looks like mostly English language movies.

Ultimate Member

Robocop.

Batman (1989).

Spider-man (2002).

Predator (1987).

Aliens (1986)- (hand on heart, this might just be THE best sci-fi action survival film ever made).
    Last edited by Username taken; 12-13-2023 at 04:59 PM.

Ultimate Member

For newer movies, I can see Barbie and Black Panther being inducted in a couple of years.

I’m going to suggest Jonathan Demme’s Philadelphia (one of the first Hollywood movies about HIV/AIDS and homophobia) and also Blade (it paved the way for the contemporary superhero movie and predates Spider-Man and X-Men).

I agreee with Mister Mets that The Shootist needs to be included I didnt appreciate just how good this movie was until later in my life. And Ron Howard does a decent job in it as well.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Astonishing Member useridgoeshere's Avatar

My Cousin Vinny

Office Space

Pleasantville

Astonishing Member kingaliencracker's Avatar

The issue with this thread is that I don't know all the films that are already in the Registry. Therefore, I don't know what films to suggest.

Superman II
    The Artist
    Fist of Fury

Quote Originally Posted by kingaliencracker View Post
    The issue with this thread is that I don't know all the films that are already in the Registry. Therefore, I don't know what films to suggest.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nation...Registry#Films

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Zauriel View Post
    The Artist
    Fist of Fury
    But wasn't THE ARTIST made in France and wasn't FiST OF FURY made in Hong Kong? Why would the U.S. Library of Congress have an interest in preserving those foreign movies? Maybe there's an international body that does that kind of thing.

Not a good movie but given the franchise' prominence in the horror genre and the 80s, the first Friday the 13th