Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Tuck View Post
    The Youtube channel Wisecrack made a good point about this. They argue that it didn't predict our present, because what it predicted was a world ruined by rampant anti-intellectualism (which was a problem more when the movie was made). But where we are now, the problem is rampant pseudo-intellectualism.
    I'm not so sure about that. It certainly nailed the ever-increasing stupidity (granted we are not to the levels depicted in Idiocracy, yet) and thus gullibility of the masses.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Quote Originally Posted by Android 17 View Post
    I’m going to suggest Jonathan Demme’s Philadelphia (one of the first Hollywood movies about HIV/AIDS and homophobia) and also Blade (it paved the way for the contemporary superhero movie and predates Spider-Man and X-Men).
    Seems that if Silence of the Lambs is on the list, then Philadelphia should be as well.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Extraordinary Member

Beat Street
    Breakin 2 electric bugaloo
    Beverly Hills Cop
    Edward Scissorhands
    The Last Dragon
    Sin City

Quote Originally Posted by Tuck View Post
    The Youtube channel Wisecrack made a good point about this. They argue that it didn't predict our present, because what it predicted was a world ruined by rampant anti-intellectualism (which was a problem more when the movie was made). But where we are now, the problem is rampant pseudo-intellectualism.
    I get the objection to pseudo-intellectuals, but there is still a problem with anti-intellectualism.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    So this is just U.S. movies then? And it looks like mostly English language movies.
    It's mostly American movies.

It doesn't have to be English-language films, although most American films are English-language. I'll guess that Minari will make the cut in its first years of eligibility.

Quote Originally Posted by Android 17 View Post
    I’m going to suggest Jonathan Demme’s Philadelphia (one of the first Hollywood movies about HIV/AIDS and homophobia) and also Blade (it paved the way for the contemporary superhero movie and predates Spider-Man and X-Men).
    Good calls.

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    I agreee with Mister Mets that The Shootist needs to be included I didnt appreciate just how good this movie was until later in my life. And Ron Howard does a decent job in it as well.
    Dude, you're not that old.

Quote Originally Posted by useridgoeshere View Post
    My Cousin Vinny

Office Space

Pleasantville
    Good calls on Office Space and Pleasantville.

But wasn't THE ARTIST made in France and wasn't FiST OF FURY made in Hong Kong? Why would the U.S. Library of Congress have an interest in preserving those foreign movies? Maybe there's an international body that does that kind of thing.
    I think international collaborations are fine.

The Artist was about America, and included some American talent.

Enter the Dragon is already included, but I could get the argument that there isn't enough of an American connection to Fist of Fury, although it was pretty big for the arthouse cinema market.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    Dude, you're not that old.
    42 going on 80.

But I meant when I saw it in my 20s on VHS I didnt really care for it, it wasnt until I grew up a little bit more that I saw what a great movie that it was.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Wouldn’t be shocked if the Avatar movies made it in at some point.

But wasn't THE ARTIST made in France and wasn't FiST OF FURY made in Hong Kong? Why would the U.S. Library of Congress have an interest in preserving those foreign movies? Maybe there's an international body that does that kind of thing.
    OMG! Guess that explains the glaring omission of The Third Man (1949):

OMG! Guess that explains the glaring omission of The Good, the Bad and the Ugly (1966):