View Poll Results: What is your choise ?

Voters
26. You may not vote on this poll
  • I wish Lois Lane had a definitive look

12 46.15%
  • I like the veraity of looks for Lois Lane

14 53.85%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by Adekis View Post
    I don't really understand why the purple eyes have such a big following.

They're only a little over 20 years old, right? Lois having red hair or curly brown hair or auburn hair or always wearing a pillbox hat or any number of other things, are way older than the purple eyes thing. Not to mention, it puts an annoying requirement on actors to wear colored contacts. Frankly, I think it's silly.
    Because it is a visually dynamic trait amongst comic book characters, a signature trait if you will that is easily identifiable. I think that is the reason why.
    Last edited by Celgress; 12-16-2023 at 07:09 PM.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

I voted "I like the variety of looks for Lois Lane", but it's more accurate to say "I don't mind that she doesn't have a definitive look, and it would be hard to give her a definitive look at this point, so I wouldn't try." She seemed to have a somewhat consistent hairstyle throughout a lot of the Golden and Silver age. The best way I can think to describe it is medium length hair that curls at the bottom and short curly bangs. I tend to mentally associate that with Lois because I think she's had it longer/more overall than any other individual hairstyle, but it's not a very modern look at all, so unfortunately it can't really be used anymore.

Now that I think about it, that actually is a bit of a bummer that cultural changes prevent that from being her definitive look, and it's a bummer that she doesn't have a definitive look in general, despite what I just said. But I think at this point, the ship of her having a truly definitive look has sailed, so I just kinda accept it. I don't want them to try to give her a definitive look because I don't think you can make everyone happy.

I like her with black hair because it's traditional, and while I admit comics are extremely oversaturated with black hair, in real life white people with jet black hair is rare, so it makes her more distinctive, while brown hair is more common in real life. But brown hair is fine as long as it's dark brown - if it's not dark, it just looks too distanced from her traditional look to me. Dark red hair is nice too. Preferably, I want her hairstyle to be influenced by her classic hairstyle - short or medium length with some sort of bangs.

Though it is not part of her traditional look, I like her having purple eyes. It's the closest thing she has to something distinctive. I don't really care if she doesn't have them, but it's nice. I agree with Thor-Ul that she's somewhat associated with purple and I think that should continue.

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    Elizabeth Taylor had them. They exist but they're super rare. This is why I think insisting on Lois having them is kind of silly. A woman with the rarest eye color marries the most powerful man on Earth? That's pushing credulity to say the least.
    True, it is kind of silly, but I don't think any version of the DC universe has been known for believability and realism :P

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

Elizabeth Taylor had them. They exist but they're super rare. This is why I think insisting on Lois having them is kind of silly. A woman with the rarest eye color marries the most powerful man on Earth? That's pushing credulity to say the least.
    Isnt it already pushing it with practically 90% of brunette/raven haired heroes having blue eyes? Or Lois being one of the top reporters in the world marrying the most powerful man on Earth who is also one of the top reporters in the world? What's one more thing?

I've made a bunch of "what are the freakin' odds" arguments against Superman plot points*, but I can't say this sort of coincidence ever registered.

I think the purple eyes are kind of neat for animation but are totally unnecessary for other media, especially live action.

*I will go to my grave thinking that the town of Smallville is supposed to be in The-Middle-of-Nowhere, USA, yet somehow is the home of Luthor and Superman, is the laziest bit of prequel writing outside Star Wars.
    Last edited by DochaDocha; 12-17-2023 at 04:38 AM.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

I tend to think wierd things attract wierd things like a magnet
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

Retired

The thing I admired about National Periodicals (D.C.) against Cadence Industries (Marvel) was that they didn't insist on a house style that all the artists had to follow. Although there were some exceptions to this general attitude--such as in the early 1960s, when they would often have Kurt Schaffenberger put his Lois Lane heads on other artist's pages or in the eary 1970s when Al Plastino or Murphy Anderson would put their Superman heads on the work of most other artists (not just Jack Kirby's pages but on many others). And I think the readers have voted that kind of thing should never happen again. Even when it was a case where several artists were working on an extended story arc during the triangle era, each artist was allowed his own style and approach to the characters--and as a reader you just had to deal with that and not get uptight that some details changed from one artist to the next.

But on second thought, now that colourists turn everything to paint and ruin the individuality of the pencillers and inkers, I guess there is a kind of house style all over again. Varnished.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DochaDocha View Post
    I've made a bunch of "what are the freakin' odds" arguments against Superman plot points*, but I can't say this sort of coincidence ever registered.

I think the purple eyes are kind of neat for animation but are totally unnecessary for other media, especially live action.

*I will go to my grave thinking that the town of Smallville is supposed to be in The-Middle-of-Nowhere, USA, yet somehow is the home of Luthor and Superman, is the laziest bit of prequel writing outside Star Wars.
    In the pre-Crisis era it KIND OF made sense in that Smallville was a suburb of Metropolis so it was the "big city" that all the small town kids moved to after high school. But anything after that was pushing it. I still think the show was the only haflway believable way of doing it. Rich kid forced to move to small town by his dad to run dad's business in small town. And him and Clark just kind of crossing paths through Clark using his powers to help him in some way.

The purple eyes worked for the cartoon precisely because it was a cartoon. Notice she never changed her clothes! That only works for cartoons! It's not really necessary for any other medium. And it looks kind of awkward the more realistic looking she is.
    Assassinate Putin!

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    Isnt it already pushing it with practically 90% of brunette/raven haired heroes having blue eyes? Or Lois being one of the top reporters in the world marrying the most powerful man on Earth who is also one of the top reporters in the world? What's one more thing?
    Lois in particular has never had a carved in stone hair color. At one point in the early nineties she had red hair. That can be chalked up to hair dye. But a rare eye color being her natural color is a little harder to believe IMHO.
    Assassinate Putin!

Retired

In live action, the actresses tend to shift their hair colour.

In the Superman serials, it was in black & white so it's hard to tell, but Noel Neill seemed to have dark brown hair. When she got the role of Lois on THE ADVENTURES OF SUPERMAN, it was still in black & white, so it's again hard to say, but I think it was a lighter brown. Once the series goes to full colour, then she's auburn or red-haired.

I think this influenced the change to reddish-brown for Lois in the post-Crisis. Originally, in the MAN OF STEEL six issue mini-series, her hair was coloured blue-black, but after that they decided to change it. I was fine with that, believing she had simply changed her hair colour (only her hair-dresser knows for sure). However, in the trade paperback reprints of MAN OF STEEL, they changed the blue-black to reddish-brown--which always bugged me (leave well enough alone).

Watching SUPERMAN III and IV recently--in III, there's strange doings with everyone's hair in that movie. I remember that Margot Kidder didn't want to dye her hair, so she wore a wig. By IV, her hair is much lighter and is a reddish brown.

In SUPERMAN RETURNS, Kate Bosworth (a blonde) went brown for the role. Her hair was a nice chestnut brown (watching that movie again, I found myself liking her a lot more than I rememberd and I feel like she had chemistry with her two leading men).

On SMALLVILLE, Erica Durance starts out as an ash blonde. Then her hair changes shades and darkens, ending up as dark brown.

Teri Hatcher went through many hair styles and subtle changes in hair colour on LOIS AND CLARK.

I haven't really paid attention to Amy Adams in the Snyderverse. I know her hair is red but it may have shifted in the different movies--especially with all the colour correction.

Elizabeth Taylor never played Lois Lane, so there never was a Lois Lane with purple eyes in live action.

Lois in particular has never had a carved in stone hair color. At one point in the early nineties she had red hair. That can be chalked up to hair dye. But a rare eye color being her natural color is a little harder to believe IMHO.
    I think they established her more traditional dark hair was dyed in honor of her mother in Post-Crisis at some point but a few reboots later she was a natural brunette.

Retired

Lois did in fact dye her hair in SUPERMAN 61 (November-December 1949)--2nd story, "The Courtship of the Three Lois Lanes"--becoming a blonde and then a red-head.

The thing with Mary Jane and Gwen is that the long hair and bangs they have, trendy in the 1960s, still works today. 616 Gwen was killed off in the 70s, so she never updated (Spider-Gwen often does have shorter hair), but MJ did, she had big curly hair in the 80s and 90s but is now back to her 1960s look. Unfortunately that won't work for Lois, as her original 1940s look is very outdated, and has been since the mid-60s. As long as she looks fashionable and has dark (but not necessarily black) hair, she's fine whatever they do with her.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by CosmeticSkull View Post
    To me she doesn't scream Lois. It's my opinion of course. The actresses who screamed Lois were Kidder, Haiduk (yeah, I know she was Lana) Hatcher and Tulloch. As with Tyler, Bosworth did not jump out to me as Lois when I initially saw her photos. . But like Tyler she is a great and versatile actress. She will steal her scenes with Corenswet and the others.
    Last edited by Jeffrey2; 12-17-2023 at 05:43 PM.

Astonishing Member The Frog Bros's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DochaDocha View Post

Although I have a pref for the purple eyes, for me it’s specifically for the comics and cartoons. But live action wise I’m more concerned with acting chops and attitude. Lois’s overall attitude and aura is more important than physical characteristics in live action for me.

Indeed, 100%. I’ve never been a fan of Lex and Clark being pals (or acquaintances or whatever) in Smallville and is among my Waid personal nitpicks.
    “Look, you can’t put the Superman #77s with the #200s. They haven’t even discovered Red Kryptonite yet. And you can’t put the #98s with the #300s, Lori Lemaris hasn’t even been introduced.” — Sam
    “Where the hell are you from? Krypton?” — Edgar Frog

Jax City/Kill The FIremen

This would require DC to have a house style. I'd prefer if DC had a house style across their mainline books. So you can have that definitive (interpretated) look for Lois Lane.
    Last edited by DABellWrites; 12-18-2023 at 03:14 PM.