Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Hawkman by Palmiotti and Gray, opinions wanted

Hey everyone

I have been offered a somewhat complete single issue run for this book on the cheap and was looking for opinions and recommendations about it.

Not much to next to none is to be found in terms of reviews out in the wild Internet.

Just a reminder this is volume 4, and those two took over after Geoff Johns.

If you have read it and can spare a moment to share your thoughts, I'd appreciate it.

Quote Originally Posted by Geralt of Rivia View Post
    Hey everyone

I have been offered a somewhat complete single issue run for this book on the cheap and was looking for opinions and recommendations about it.

Not much to next to none is to be found in terms of reviews out in the wild Internet.

If you have read it and can spare a moment to share your thoughts, I'd appreciate it.
    Going from memory their run dealt with Golden Eagle, right? I really enjoyed their run personally. Very well done with great art by Joe Bennett.

Extraordinary Member

Hey everyone

Probably the only Hawkman run ever that put effort to showcasing his rogues gallery. Like Batman’s Hush. Or even acknowledging he had one. Successfully merging the golden age and silver age rogues. Also, spoilers, so beware: spoilers:
    it makes sense that sometimes sidekicks end up more like Jason Todd than Dick Grayson
    end of spoilers
    Last edited by Will Evans; 12-14-2023 at 09:56 AM.

Hey everyone

Have you tried searching this forum for threads about it when it came out? Probably some opinions there...

Wasn't this forum rebooted at some point? I think that Hawkman run was before that cosmic event.

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    Wasn't this forum rebooted at some point? I think that Hawkman run was before that cosmic event.
    Yeah, it happened years back; and all history was wiped clean. And anything about this run was before then, is what I believe to be the case too.
    Last edited by Geralt of Rivia; 12-14-2023 at 10:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    Probably the only Hawkman run ever that put effort to showcasing his rogues gallery. Like Batman’s Hush. Or even acknowledging he had one. Successfully merging the golden age and silver age rogues.
    This does sound cool, but I wonder how accessible the showcasing is?

Asking as a Hawkman noob.

Hey everyone

An incredibly underrated run, in my opinion, and arguably better than what Johns did with the character. I feel like that whole series is really the only Hawkman run that felt "right" to me. And as Will Evans said, they pulled rogues from the Golden Age and Silver Age incarnations of the character and made them work really well. Done right (and used more often), Hawkman's rogues could be on the same level as some of the other bigger galleries (I'm not saying Batman or Flash here, but after them...like a Firestorm or Aquaman, even Wonder Woman).

Whoever shut this book down in favor of the Simonson/Chaykin Hawkgirl series for the "One Year Later" stunt needs to be brought up on criminal charges.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

I loved their run. It was so good and really used Hawkman's history

Hey everyone

Its a really good run. I prefer Johns but this was good too.
    Read The Flash#1 this September!

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Its the writers of Jonah Hex on Hawkman. A great series. Their Hawkman should be pretty good.

Astonishing Member

I don't recall much of the latter part of the series. I think this is the one that started with Geoff Johns and Rags Morales who really brought a Joe Kubert vibe to the series. I collected some of the Kendra issues, but she was always my least favorite of the Hawks.

Hey everyone

Get it! Especially if you've read up to that point. In my opinion it was a smooth transition from Johns and I think I may even prefer some of this run over Johns.
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

Hey everyone

It was a great series. Leaned into the cultured barbarian aspect of the character with a nice showcase for the villains. I remember not being a fan of some the choices made later in the book, but overall I enjoyed it a lot. Prolly number 3 in my Hawkman runs.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by marvelprince View Post
    It was a great series. Leaned into the cultured barbarian aspect of the character with a nice showcase for the villains. I remember not being a fan of some the choices made later in the book, but overall I enjoyed it a lot. Prolly number 3 in my Hawkman runs.
    Out of curiosity, what were your top 2?