Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Default Dead X-Men 1 preview

My bad.

The art and the interview got me super excited.
    Last edited by CGAR; 12-14-2023 at 12:10 PM.

What's it like putting together an X-Men team that doesn't revolve around the main cast of core X-Men characters? What's your philosophy with this line-up?

The fun thing about these five is that, with the exception of Prodigy, they've all served as main-team (or close enough) X-Men before, so we've seen how they fit into an established team dynamic. But there's no elder statesman X-Man here - no Cyclops or Jean or Logan to call the shots - so this is our chance to see them on an even playing field together. I'd say Frenzy naturally falls into a “leader” position more than the others, but no one's a slack-off on this squad.

Frenzy is the steady, level-headed, driven natural leader. Jubilee brings the spunk and fire. Prodigy is the team's heart as much as its brain. Cannonball is a hero to his core, selfless and courageous. And Dazzler is a bit of a wildcard - she surprised me at times.

The one member of the team not revealed on any covers yet is Rachel Summers, most recently known as Askani. I have to choose my words carefully here so as not to spoil Kieron Gillen's intricate plans in Rise of the Powers of X and X-Men Forever, but Rachel was tasked by Xavier with putting together a team to boldly go where no mutants have gone before, and she's guiding them from afar. She's a bit like M from James Bond, if M was psychic and her head was on fire.

And of course Rachel is dating Betsy Braddock, who makes a dramatic entrance on our just-revealed third cover, wearing a costume I know a lot of Betsy fans have been eager to see back in action. My lips are sealed beyond that, but hey, we aim to please when we can!

Death and resurrection are hallmarks of the Krakoa era. How does this story take those themes and run with them beyond just the title?

Well, as readers who've stayed current on the books since the Hellfire Gala and through Fall of X know, resurrection isn't running so smoothly these days. But beyond that mechanic, I'd say the title means more outside of the story than it does inside of it. They're the “Dead X-Men” because they're the X-Men who died during the Hellfire Gala. In the story itself, they're just the X-Men, nothing Dead about it…unless their mission goes haywire and our still-unrevealed villain has anything to say about it!

There's been a “big secret” about Dead X-Men teased in previous announcements. What hints can you give us about that?

Almost none, alas! While we've worked hard to make sure you can read Dead X-Men all by itself and not miss anything or feel confused, the January books hold a lot of revelations for the future of mutantkind. Rise of the Powers of X in particular serves as a major genesis for our team's mission. What I can hint at is that this story is a deep tribute to the Krakoan era as a whole, and gets to pay homage to that in a very personally thrilling way. I'd also say to expect some familiar faces in unfamiliar roles, and one character in particular pushed to her nastiest extreme.

Which of these characters has been the most fun to connect with in this story?

Luckily, I got to work with this cast alongside my co-writer Steph Williams and artist Noemi Vittori for the X-Men Unlimited Infinity Comic arc this summer, which helped me get familiar with their voices under less dire circumstances. It's impossible to pick favorites, because these six are such major players in my mind, but it did feel extra surreal to write a full Dazzler story, since Pryde of the X-Men was one of my earliest gateways into the X-Men, and Marvel as a whole. She left such a major impression on me as a kid that one moment in particular - one single panel - just felt like a full-circle opportunity from where my fandom started.

Astonishing Member Cyclone_Ablaze's Avatar

That's pretty cool.

I wonder if Abigail Brand is still holding a Grudge.
    #StormNeverDied
    #BindingLightOFAyesha!!!
    #AsgardianStorm
    #AlEwingbestStormWriter

In Ororo's Name....Let the Wormhole Open!!
    Ororo Munro: Regent of Arakko, Holder of the Seat of Loss, Omega Level Mutant, Goddess of Balance.

I have no idea what the heck is going on

Thanks for posting, juan678! This looks and sounds so good!
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Looking forward to this more than I was. I really love Frenzy getting a highlight.

I still wish the uniforms were more signature to the characters, especially in Dazzler's case. A Lot Of Hair just isn't enough for me.

So happy to see Blink.

If this means the end of Bland Brand, good riddance.
    Queen of Mutants, Mistress of Magnetism, Magnetrix and the MII, Pestilence of the Horsemen of Apocalypse, the Krakoan Oracle and creator of the Sanctus Sacrum Tournament Key, the Threshold Seed Shaper, Brood Queen of the Fall of the House of X, Lorna Sally Dane, Ph.D., of the House of M, Polaris of the X-Men

Ultimate Member

Any notions of who the two on Brand's team are on the right? The giant fiery red and green dude and the girl? Fiery dude has a great visual!

Fun to see Sam on a team where he's not 'the tall one.' Frenzy totally towers over him!

im freakin curious now.

Also i think that spoilers:
    Rachel is getting the Phoenix not Jean
    end of spoilers

Incredible Member PhoenixStudies's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DarkMagnus View Post
    im freakin curious now.

Also i think that spoilers:
    Rachel is getting the Phoenix not Jean
    end of spoilers
    I think both will have Phoenix fire. Rachel as Askani has some Phoenix fire from the multi-verse and this manifests as fire hair and fiery psychic energy. This is how she was at the end of the Captain Britain book. Jean got the Phoenix Force back in her recent solo series in Jean Grey #4. Hope also used some Phoenix fire to briefly exhibit phoenix wings and a fire sword (shown in Jean Grey #4 and Immortal X-Men #17).

All three of them may have some degree of Phoenix power for this story that Gillen is telling and others are contributing to.
    Last edited by PhoenixStudies; 12-14-2023 at 12:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixStudies View Post
    I think they will both have Phoenix fire. Rachel as Askani has some Phoenix fire from the multi-verse and her hair is on fire. Jean got the Phoenix Force back in her recent solo series. Hope also used some Phoenix fire to briefly exhibit phoenix wings and a fire sword.

All three of them may have some degree of Phoenix power for this story that Gillen is telling.
    Maybe all the previous host will have a phoenix powered up

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    Any notions of who the two on Brand's team are on the right? The giant fiery red and green dude and the girl? Fiery dude has a great visual!

Fun to see Sam on a team where he's not 'the tall one.' Frenzy totally towers over him!
    The tall one is Redroot/Sunfire. Not sure who the one with the black bob is though.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

BLINK!!!

I'm so happy she's popping up. This is probably the book I'm looking forward to the most.

Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    The tall one is Redroot/Sunfire. Not sure who the one with the black bob is though.
    WAIT?

Why the F Shiro will be in a team With Traitorette Brand the Traitor