Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Default Batman: Dark Age by Mark Russell and Mike Allred

You know Batman's origin - it's become a proverbial historical event in pop culture, told and retold in various mediums over the decades. But what if Batman was born inside real historic events?

In the upcoming DC limited series Batman: Dark Age, writer Mark Russell (Exit, Stage Left!: The Snagglepuss Chronicles) and artist Mike Allred (Madman, Silver Surfer) are reuniting to imagine the Dark Knight coming of age against the backdrop of the real world in which you and I live in.

"Meet Bruce Wayne, Gotham’s favorite delinquent son. In an origin story like no other, witness the boy become a dark knight shaped by a city in turmoil as it marches towards its prophesied doom," reads DC's official description of the special series.

This is a spiritual successor to Russell and Allred's previous DC book, Superman: Space Age, which recast Superman's primordial days against the backdrop of the Cold War and the Space Race.

"Set against the backdrop of actual historical events, [in Batman: Dark Age] Gotham comes alive, filled with the iconic characters who’ve loved and hated Batman over the years like you’ve never seen them before," DC's description continues. "Spinning out of the Eisner-nominated Superman: Space Age, Mark Russell and Mike Allred return to give audiences a look at Batman as a figure in American history fighting for justice in a world gone mad."

Russell and Allred are joined by colorist Laura Allred and letterer David Sharpe.

This looks like it could be pretty cool!

Is it a different era each issue?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    Is it a different era each issue?
    No, I don't believe so - it'll be similar to Superman: Space Age by the same team.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypo View Post
    No, I don't believe so - it'll be similar to Superman: Space Age by the same team.
    I get the comparison but they didn't specify a time period in the announcement.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Oh it's the Superman: Space Age guys. I'll try it when it comes out.
    "Cable was right!"

BANNED

I guess this isn't going to be the exact same version of Bruce from the Space Age mini, since we saw the majority of his life, right?

Either way, I loved Space Age and found that take on Batman to be very fresh and interesting, so I'm very excited for this.

Is that... Genie Batman?

Fantastic Member

As expected, Superman: Space Age was just Russell's audition for writing a Batman book, which is why Space Age felt like a Superman/Batman team up story where Batman was basically the co-lead.

I doubt we will be seeing Superman in this story though.

Quote Originally Posted by Laser_Man View Post
    As expected, Superman: Space Age was just Russell's audition for writing a Batman book, which is why Space Age felt like a Superman/Batman team up story where Batman was basically the co-lead.

I doubt we will be seeing Superman in this story though.
    I guess that's one interpretation, but I don't think it's what he intended.

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I guess that's one interpretation, but I don't think it's what he intended.
    It at least made for a decent parallel as Batman's own cynicism leads him to taking the wrong view of things and ultimately dying a tragic arguably pointless death.

Which makes a contrast to Superman maintaining his own idealism and desire to find a better way leading to him achieving the best ending in the book.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Allred on art is a must buy for me.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Quote Originally Posted by Superboy-Prime View Post
    Is that... Genie Batman?
    Yes...does Batman get trapped by an evil genie?

Extraordinary Member

BATMAN: DARK AGE #2
    Written by MARK RUSSELL
    Art and cover by MIKE ALLRED
    Variant covers by DAVE JOHNSON and PAUL POPE
    1:25 variant cover by STEVE PUGH
    $5.99 US | 48 pages | 2 of 6 | Variant $6.99 US (card stock)
    ON SALE 4/23/24

Guilty as charged! When a young and aimless Bruce Wayne finds himself incarcerated, he looks for a way to shorten his sentence and return to his charmed lifestyle. Little does he know, signing up for a tour with the army in Vietnam will change him forever. Witness the birth of the Bat under the watchful eye of the one-and-only Sergeant Ra’s al Ghul!

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hypo View Post
    ohh this is six issues instead of 3 like the Superman one.

I wonder if Allred will be able to keep up and be on time.