Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Default Wonder Woman #4 Preview

Wonder Woman #4 Preview
    Writer: Tom King
    Artist: Daniel Sampere

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

My only thing is - out of 9 broadcasters....not one of them would be turning on WWs side or defending her from the letter?

I get what he's doing and it's very real but might as well include a bit of the other side as well.

Yay, more Sovereign narration .

King's dialogue still feels stilted at times.

This issue is probably going to end in heartbreak though.

Spectacular Member 9AlphaOmega1's Avatar

Yeah I think I know what King is trying create as Wonder Woman villain, is an idea, ideas cannot be truly be broken or fight with conventional means, that's what make it dangerous.

Also the art work of Daniel Sampere is great, I regret not buying his artwork at NYCC 2023, next year I will, he was awesome to talk to.

If I never see the Sovereign's narration ever again it would still be too soon.

"Wonder Woman robbed me of the dignity of my gender, which is a gift of God"?? THAT is supposed to make the general public go against Diana? I mean, that sounds like something only the most extremist of MAGA supporters, FOX News, and the MRA movement would get riled up by.
    Anyway, that scene with the little sick kid is gonna have us all crying, won't it?

Quote Originally Posted by HestiasHearth View Post
    "Wonder Woman robbed me of the dignity of my gender, which is a gift of God"?? THAT is supposed to make the general public go against Diana? I mean, that sounds like something only the most extremist of MAGA supporters, FOX News, and the MRA movement would get riled up by.
    Anyway, that scene with the little sick kid is gonna have us all crying, won't it?
    This is after anti-Amazon sentiment is at an all time high due to Emelie's actions (the original Amazons Attack is also apparently still in continuity). The guy who killed himself was also part of a military force that was sent to apprehend Diana.

Tom King is insistent on making "Amazonian" a thing that sticks and it's really annoying. Every time he writes it, I think of novice fanboys on youtube that appear to believe Wonder Woman hails from "Amazonia" and not Themyscira.

The leaps of logic involved in this are astounding. The same way someone would blame Wonder Woman for the suicide of the soldier, is the same way someone else would blame the military for attacking her, or the soldier's male ego for being too fragile. America is a divided country, not a monolithic one. There has to be another shoe to land to make this believable. Perhaps the apples of discord are involved, mass hypnosis, mind control, something, anything besides solely the manipulation of the court of public opinion.

The lack of contractions are still bugging me too and I can't see Diana saying to call her Wonder Woman under that specific situation, I was waiting for her to say "call me Diana" but she never did. She was meeting with the grieving parents of a terminally ill child, not Lex Luthor for goodness’ sake.

As much as that seemingly out of character moment took me out of the story, her smile drawn expertly by Sampere in the last panel threw me right back into it.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    My only thing is - out of 9 broadcasters....not one of them would be turning on WWs side or defending her from the letter?

I get what he's doing and it's very real but might as well include a bit of the other side as well.
    Writers always fail at things like this when they try to insert real world drama in superhero stories.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    Tom King is insistent on making "Amazonian" a thing that sticks and it's really annoying. Every time he writes it, I think of novice fanboys on youtube that appear to believe Wonder Woman hails from "Amazonia" and not Themyscira.

The leaps of logic involved in this are astounding. The same way someone would blame Wonder Woman for the suicide of the soldier, is the same way someone else would blame the military for attacking her, or the soldier's male ego for being too fragile. America is a divided country, not a monolithic one. There has to be another shoe to land to make this believable. Perhaps the apples of discord are involved, mass hypnosis, mind control, something, anything besides solely the manipulation of the court of public opinion.

The lack of contractions are still bugging me too and I can't see Diana saying to call her Wonder Woman under that specific situation, I was waiting for her to say "call me Diana" but she never did. She was meeting with the grieving parents of a terminally ill child, not Lex Luthor for goodness’ sake.

As much as that seemingly out of character moment took me out of the story, her smile drawn expertly by Sampere in the last panel threw me right back into it.
    I feel like Tom King just doesn't have a grasp on who Wonder Woman and her side characters are. This is why he is relying on Sovereign's narration, Supersons backups, Superman/Batman appearances and everything under the sun.

Maybe he will find it out somewhere along the run, but till then it will be rough.

Do you think that is due to the folding in of the Wildstorm characters, in this case Zannah/Zealot and the Coda?

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Stanlos View Post
    Do you think that is due to the folding in of the Wildstorm characters, in this case Zannah/Zealot and the Coda?
    I'm not sure thats the case. Zealot's association with the Amazons, whatever it is, is only over on Birds of Prey.

Quote Originally Posted by Stanlos View Post
    We even seen anything concrete that points to it's existence in the current lay of the land?

Take the current "Mainstream DCU..." version of Cole...

I haven't seen anything that suggests that was actually trained in "Coda..." fashion.

I'm hoping it's purposeful, as both the incorrect " Amazonian" and correct " Amazon" have been used... So maybe he's making a point about the ignorance of her culture? If so, the problem is that it's just too common a mistake, so those who are wrong about it to begin with are just having their ignorance confirmed.

Can someone just ask him? Cuz it's driving he nuts...lol

Astonishing Member

Tom King is insistent on making "Amazonian" a thing that sticks and it's really annoying.
    That term is silly. I don't care what they call Paradise Island, the inhabitant are and always will be Amazons.