Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

I wonder how Sovereign and Lex Luthor got along when he was president. Haha…

Overall, I enjoyed the issue, especially the portions with Jack.

The name bit and using Wonder Woman didn’t really phase me. In the political climate and open hostility she’s facing from a government and military that’s spewing lies about her, it’s admirable that she’s not shrinking or distancing herself from the Wonder Woman moniker. Diana knows who she is and what she’s doing and isn’t ashamed of herself.

The Jack portions of the story are very touching and wonderful. A very heartfelt sequence by King and Sampere that tapped into my wish fulfillment when I was a little guy in the 70s trying to sort out why other boys didn’t like the same things I did. Five stars for all of that, because it spoke to me on a fundamental level.

Waller continues to be a good foil Wonder Woman on a lot of levels, considering Diana’s history. The whole DC-wide “we are going to destroy all the superheroes” subplot has been brewing for a while now, so I’m ready for it to pick up speed. Using and then turning on a superhero’s superfoes could be fun, so I’m interested in the collection of adversaries Waller and Steel are convening. Here’s hoping we get some Cheetah, Grail, Angle Man, Circe, Doctor Psycho and Giganta characterizations, machinations and action in the mix when they show up. Not a huge fan of the Cheetah design with the cropped hair and athletic gear costume. It reminds me too much of the Catra design from She-Ra and the Princesses of Power animated series on Netflix. Not that I hate it, it’s just my personal preference for Cheetah to have a feral glamour look and for her to have a Barbara Minerva human mode too.

I find the concept of the Sovereign interesting as an analogy/allegory so I’m good with it, but I hope King can stick the landing when Diana confronts him and reveals the truth to the world, as well as however she helps Emelie. Whom I’m guessing may also be being manipulated in some way.
    Last edited by WonderScott; 12-20-2023 at 12:02 PM.

With each month’s new issue I go back and read from #1. Still loving it. Still finding a new bit of foreshadowing and nuance in the narration. And the more I reread King’s dialogue for Diana, the more wit and charm I hear in it. Still finding some new detail in Sampere’s artwork (a reflection in a billiard ball, blood stains on a leather backed booth, an abstract painting on an office wall). His knack for fabrics and ornate surfaces is astonishing. And each time Diana leaps into action I hear the Wonder Woman theme in my head (the *real* one from the TV show).

And then for issue #4 to come along and take us on this sweet detour that so many gay WW fanboys can relate to….

The fact that King continues to call the island “Paradise Island” is a thrill all by itself. I’m satisfied.

ETA: And the tease for all the rogues that are soon to come…my word!
    Last edited by Largo161; 12-20-2023 at 11:01 PM.
    “You see…the rest of them are soldiers. But [Wonder Woman] is an artist.”

I only support the made of clay origin.

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    Even though they are basically just spin-offs of the WW costume.....he couldn't just rip off one of these, adjust a little and put Cassie in it? Did like the looks though
    Since when can any random Amazon wear a tiara? Tiaras should denote royal blood, or at least a high ranking Amazon protégé of Wonder Woman, like Yara Flor. When just any Amazon can wear one they lose their significance.

The fact they're all wearing bracelets is excellent, although they're all different, unlike the standard issue bluish black ones that came before. I enjoyed the uniformity then, but with most Amazon outfits being patterned on Diana's there's too much uniformity now.
    Last edited by Koriand'r; 12-20-2023 at 09:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    Since when can any random Amazon wear a tiara? Tiaras should denote royal blood, or at least a high ranking Amazon protégé of Wonder Woman, like Yara Flor. When just any Amazon can wear one they lose their significance.

The fact they're all wearing bracelets is excellent, although they're all different, unlike the standard issue bluish black ones that came before. I enjoyed the uniformity then, but with most Amazon outfits being patterned on Diana's there's too much uniformity now.
    But wasn’t the amazons been wearing similar battle attire at the start of rebirth? Just different colors? I do agree about tiara thing….but it doesn’t have any jewels so I don’t mind.

Quote Originally Posted by MarquisAsh View Post
    But wasn’t the amazons been wearing similar battle attire at the start of rebirth? Just different colors? I do agree about tiara thing….but it doesn’t have any jewels so I don’t mind.
    It was done, but not done to death. They wore pants and shorts too, as well as tiaras.

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

It's kind of like the movie Amazons. Most got headgear. Though if it were up to me - any none royal/top tier would be in silver instead of gold
    [img]https://img.buzzfeed.com/buzzfeed-static/static/2017-11/13/12/asset/buzzfeed-prod-fastlane-03/sub-buzz-31080-1510593574-5.png?downsize=900:*&output-format=auto&output-quality=auto[/img]

Diana and Jack was cute, and her speech at the end was a stand-out.

Good to see we're going to get the escalation in danger with the rogues, though I agree that Circe shouldn't be among them. Unless it turns out she has her own agenda or plans to screw Waller & Steel over, it seems beneath her to be someone foot soldier.
    Also--small thing--but dubbing her "The Charmer" strikes me as an odd choice. I guess she can be and has been something of a charmer, but I would never call that Circe's "thing." I think calling her "The Witch" would've made more sense...assuming it is her and not a different villain.

For that matter, it's a bit weird for Grail--daughter of Darkseid--to be one of Waller's recruits, too...but I'll admit I don't care about Grail. They can have her.

I get what King is going for, and I can buy the country getting turned against Wonder Woman through propaganda and manipulation, but I feel like it would take more than a rogue Amazon killing a bunch of dudes in one bar and a random soldier killing himself because he felt emasculated.
    I'll roll with it. I've definitely seen worse stretches for plot, but I feel like Emelie could've done something worse or the Sovereign should've orchestrated something more severe.

Overall, four issues in, I feel like King at least grasps the spirit of Diana, even though I would like it if we got more of her POV--especially since the Sovereign's narration can be tiresome at times. But King does seem to be genuinely trying to do right by her.

However, he stumbles on certain specifics:
    Her overly formal way of speaking and never using contractions. "Call me Wonder Woman" when she would typically prefer just Diana. "Amazonian." Doing the "Men are forbidden from Paradise Island!" Speaking of, only referring to it as Paradise Island and never Themyscira.

None of these are necessarily big deals, but they stick out. To me at least. In King's defense though, some of them should be up to the editor to catch.

Quote Originally Posted by Guy_McNichts View Post
    Diana and Jack was cute, and her speech at the end was a stand-out.

Good to see we're going to get the escalation in danger with the rogues, though I agree that Circe shouldn't be among them. Unless it turns out she has her own agenda or plans to screw Waller & Steel over, it seems beneath her to be someone foot soldier.
    Also--small thing--but dubbing her "The Charmer" strikes me as an odd choice. I guess she can be and has been something of a charmer, but I would never call that Circe's "thing." I think calling her "The Witch" would've made more sense...assuming it is her and not a different villain.

For that matter, it's a bit weird for Grail--daughter of Darkseid--to be one of Waller's recruits, too...but I'll admit I don't care about Grail. They can have her.

I get what King is going for, and I can buy the country getting turned against Wonder Woman through propaganda and manipulation, but I feel like it would take more than a rogue Amazon killing a bunch of dudes in one bar and a random soldier killing himself because he felt emasculated.
    I'll roll with it. I've definitely seen worse stretches for plot, but I feel like Emelie could've done something worse or the Sovereign should've orchestrated something more severe.

Overall, four issues in, I feel like King at least grasps the spirit of Diana, even though I would like it if we got more of her POV--especially since the Sovereign's narration can be tiresome at times. But King does seem to be genuinely trying to do right by her.

However, he stumbles on certain specifics:
    Her overly formal way of speaking and never using contractions. "Call me Wonder Woman" when she would typically prefer just Diana. "Amazonian." Doing the "Men are forbidden from Paradise Island!" Speaking of, only referring to it as Paradise Island and never Themyscira.

None of these are necessarily big deals, but they stick out. To me at least. In King's defense though, some of them should be up to the editor to catch.
    From the premise I assumed it was going to be a full-blown Amazon terrorist attack on the US government, but they went with something much smaller scale.

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

Huh I'm suddenly of the King Shark book from a while ago, which featured a Suicide Squad Black under Waller's control, which is sub-division that deals with magical threats.

Which includes members like Etrigan, the Gentleman Ghost, and Klarion the Witch Boy somehow. Said book also reveals King Shark's origin which reveals Waller essentially took him as a baby from his mom and shark God father as apart of a deal she somehow managed to make with him.

Then there's the Infinite Frontier Suicide Squad book where her operations have gone multiversal and includes characters like Major Force, Black Hand, some kind of Etrigan/Brainiac hybrid, and even several members of the Crime Syndicate of America.

Yes somehow Waller can bully and badger Gods to be under her control. The general concept of the Suicide Squad has gotten way out of control/flanderized from being about low-key super characters Waller can reasonably imprison or strike a deal with.

It's kind of like the movie Amazons. Most got headgear. Though if it were up to me - any none royal/top tier would be in silver instead of gold
    [img]https://img.buzzfeed.com/buzzfeed-static/static/2017-11/13/12/asset/buzzfeed-prod-fastlane-03/sub-buzz-31080-1510593574-5.png?downsize=900:*&output-format=auto&output-quality=auto[/img]

Most of these were, I believe, specific to the JL movie. The costumer relied very heavily on retreading the specific WW armor, colors, and motifs in various ways ( and lots of bare midriffs)

the WW movie was better at costuming the Amazons imo. I agree about the use of gold. Also, the bracelets should be uniform

I allways fpund very funny that the actresses at the background were more JACKED than the Wonder Woman actress herself.

Still not completely sold on the Sovereign but I am looking forward to seeing what King does with the classic Wonder Woman villains like Cheetah, Dr. Psycho (my personal favorite), Circe, Dr. Poison, etc.