Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Default Nightwing #109 Preview

Nightwing #109 Preview
    Writer: Tom Taylor
    Artist: Stephen Byrne

You know Dick, Ric loved to break into people's houses with no consideration how that would make them feel, knowing someone was in their house eating their food and sleeping in their bed. You don't have to convince yourself you loved the same things he did. Maybe its time to let some things go...

Oh no, Bea is in danger! Anyways...

I'm glad Bruce isn't in this Alfred flashback .

Extraordinary Member

This looks great! Taylor and Byrne have been bringing it this whole arc!
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

If nothing else I have to say I didn't expect Taylor to go back to anything Ric related even if I can't compliment the execution.

Spectacular Member agentofthebat's Avatar

I'm all in. Doesn't look too exciting but I am all in.

Well, of the three issues of this arc, this one was the best, but still didn't care much for the story. Although i liked the story about the statue.

The back-up was pretty good, can't wait to see more about this new villain.
    DC: Dick Grayson, Wally West, Donna Troy, Yara Flor, Titans

Some of my favorite Mangas: One Piece, Slam Dunk, Fullmetal Alchemist, HunterXHunter, Vinland Saga, Monster, Berserk, Vagabond.
    Current reading: Jujutsu Kaisen, Chainsaw Man, Spy X Family, Kaiju Nº8, Blue Lock, Dandadan.

Extraordinary Member

I kinda wanted a seamonster. I hope that not off the table in the future

The Best There Is berserkerclaw's Avatar

I didnt like the end "revelation" I was like yeah and? It changes nothing adds nothing lol.
    X-Men Forever

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

Really thats the reveal? What a nothing-burger of a secret.

spoilers:
    Damian's cat form is amusingly a lot cuter than the beast transformations we've seen.
    end of spoilers

Bluebird

This arc seems like they were just padding time before Beast World, which starts next month.

spoilers:
    The new villain, Ava, is fascinating and I can’t wait to see her deal.
    end of spoilers

I am glad that the creative team decided to use the original Robin costume in the flash back. I like the original Robin costume. lol So i can make jokes like OMG !!! THAT BOY DOESN'T WEAR PANTS !!!!! lol
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

So ya, overall this just proves to me Ric is best just left forgotten as if it never happened. They are never gonna look at it how readers looked at it, and so when they try to invoke emotions with it the emotions they are going for just aren’t there. No one cares that Dick left Ric’s girlfriend, readers were begging for him to do it, it made no sense for Dick to even feel anything for someone he did not know, or for Bea to want to be with for all intents and purposes a different person. So seeing Dick feel guilt, or Bea being angry, it just doesn’t land. And scenes like Bea calling Dick Ric felt insulting rather then sad, like eww don’t call him Ric. I have no more sympathy for someone missing Ric then Ric writers did for Dick’s readers missing Dick.

The back up I quite liked, art was good. Like hopefully we see more good. Damian is gonna be so embarrassed he tuned into a cute kitty. Where’s Catwoman when you need her.
    Last edited by Godlike13; 12-20-2023 at 08:27 AM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    So ya, overall this just proves to me Ric is best just left forgotten as if it never happened. They are never gonna look at it how readers looked at it, and so when they try to invoke emotions with it the emotions they are going for just aren’t there. No one cares that Dick left Ric’s girlfriend, readers were begging for him to do it, it made no sense for Dick to even feel anything for someone he did not know, or for Bea to want to be with for all intents and purposes a different person. So seeing Dick feel guilt, or Bea being angry, it just doesn’t land. And scenes like Bea calling Dick Ric felt insulting rather then sad, like eww don’t call him Ric. I have no more sympathy for someone missing Ric then Ric writers did for Dick’s readers missing Dick.

The back up I quite liked, art was good. Like hopefully we see more good. Damian is gonna be so embarrassed he tuned into a cute kitty. Where’s Catwoman when you need her.
    What I think is really interesting is that at the same time as revisiting "Ric", Taylor is also bringing in the vertigo plot that Ben Piercy was plannings before he got booted off the book.

I wonder if there's a metafictional reason beyond those ideas just being in the ether?

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis-Ray View Post
    Really thats the reveal? What a nothing-burger of a secret.
    Yeah, I'm not really sure what the point is.

spoilers:
    They never proved Zucco killed the Graysons? After all these years? When that's usually addressed and dealt with in Dick's origin story literally every time? And Dick already beat Zucco once in this arc. Is Taylor going to spin this as some kind of closure for something the audience didn't even think needed it?
    end of spoilers
    Quote Originally Posted by Stars & Stripes View Post
    This arc seems like they were just padding time before Beast World, which starts next month.

spoilers:
    The new villain, Ava, is fascinating and I can’t wait to see her deal.
    end of spoilers
    I hope Taylor can prove he can write a good female villain.

spoilers:
    Is she going to have some kind of mutant animal Roulette thing going on?
    end of spoilers