Extraordinary Member

Default Hawkgirl #6 Preview

Hawkgirl #6 Preview
    Writer: Jadzia Axelrod
    Artist Amancay Nahuelpan

"I would climb her like a tree" - Okay then! I wonder if that was Jadzia also commenting how she'd make Kendra Bi in a heartbeat if DC let her.

So... those who dared to finish this... how it was?
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-Ul View Post
    So... those who dared to finish this... how it was?
    spoilers:
    So Kendra's trapped on the Nth world which is like a fantasy verse. She's like a knight hunting Vulpecula, eventually she finds her fused to something having taken over the world. Vulpecula then attacks Kendra by throwing a mind-controlled Galaxy at her. Kendra then defeats Vulpecula by pointing out she offered Galaxy nothing when she took over, effectively breaking the one big rule of the verse. So like the God of the world or someone big a bird skull guy comes in, takes away Vulpecula's powers and there she's defeated. Then Kendra in order to fix the breaking down barriers of the dimensional rift she effectively sacrifices all her past lives to do it leaving her alone. For her sacricice and heroism bird skull guy knights Kendra Knight of the Nth World, finally giving her something and position wholly her own thats no one elses. The book then ends on Kendra attending a party Galaxy is hosting with all the other women who showed up in this book.
    end of spoilers

All things considered this book probably should have been Kendra exploring a sword and fantasy universe from the start than what it actually was.

Kind of the book defeats it own purpose.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis-Ray View Post
    spoilers:
    So Kendra's trapped on the Nth world which is like a fantasy verse. She's like a knight hunting Vulpecula, eventually she finds her fused to something having taken over the world. Vulpecula then attacks Kendra by throwing a mind-controlled Galaxy at her. Kendra then defeats Vulpecula by pointing out she offered Galaxy nothing when she took over, effectively breaking the one big rule of the verse. So like the God of the world or someone big a bird skull guy comes in, takes away Vulpecula's powers and there she's defeated. Then Kendra in order to fix the breaking down barriers of the dimensional rift she effectively sacrifices all her past lives to do it leaving her alone. For her sacricice and heroism bird skull guy knights Kendra Knight of the Nth World, finally giving her something and position wholly her own thats no one elses. The book then ends on Kendra attending a party Galaxy is hosting with all the other women who showed up in this book.
    end of spoilers

All things considered this book probably should have been Kendra exploring a sword and fantasy universe from the start than what it actually was.
    I would've read that.

Though funnily enough I feel like Carter had a similar job at some point .

Sad thing is I saw the entusiasm of many willing to give the book a chance and the dissapointment and proggessive leaving of readers on the book. I left in issue 3 and really from the spoiler, don't feel like I lost something important for the character than everybody don't get in the beggining. .

Really I found the excessive insistence on giving Kendra something that is "wholly her own" rather funny in a way.

Like she is a subsidiary character, part of the Hawk franchise. Which its not a bad thing to give a character their own thing for their book, but the author's fixation on separating Kendra feels misguided.

Its like giving Roy Harper a book and making his entire problem being nothing but chafing under Ollie's shadow. Nothing wrong with being related to a larger umbrella title.

It is not only than she is a subsidiary, she is a subsidiary of a subsidiary.

And I don't think this change is going to last. Or work.

Really I found the excessive insistence on giving Kendra something that is "wholly her own" rather funny in a way.

Like she is a subsidiary character, part of the Hawk franchise. Which its not a bad thing to give a character their own thing for their book, but the author's fixation on separating Kendra feels misguided.

Its like giving Roy Harper a book and making his entire problem being nothing but chafing under Ollie's shadow. Nothing wrong with being related to a larger umbrella title.
    And here I thought Hawkgirl had it better than Hawkman .

Probably the most annoying thing about this book is how reductive it is for Kendra.

In trying to frame her as this bullied victim, it just totally ignores how she is a hero respected by both the JSA and the League. Hell she the very close friends and family she made don't even appear, and are framed as distant unable to understand Kendra.

And it winds up portraying Kendra as totally spineless to people who say she's Shayera, compared to the woman in Johns run who actually calls out Carter when he got possessive.

Probably the most annoying thing about this book is how reductive it is for Kendra.

In trying to frame her as this bullied victim, it just totally ignores how she is a hero respected by both the JSA and the League. Hell she the very close friends and family she made don't even appear, and are framed as distant unable to understand Kendra.

And it winds up portraying Kendra as totally spineless to people who say she's Shayera, compared to the woman in Johns run who actually calls out Carter when he got possessive.
    Meanwhile Power Girl is an insecure mess and Fire and Ice are also insecure messes...I'm sensing a theme here!

It is the only weakness female characters are allowed to have. And the cause is always from an external origin.