Thread: Deity

Post Deity

Does anyone here remember Deity? This book was about Jamie, a teenage girl who get cosmic powers in a cyberpunk future it's a mash up of Buffy, Blade Runner, The Matrix, Mortal Kombat, and her backstory she's daughter of alien queen who had the same powers but when she died they passed on to baby daughter who is sent to Earth and when she comes of age her powers kick in and she a target for the bad guys who want the power for themselves.

She accidentally uses her power to bring her stuff cat to life who is based on popular show in this universe (I'm not sure it if's supposed to be send up of Hello Kitty or Garfield) who is a foul mouth beer drinking smart @$$ and oh it turns out her they cloned her mother called II and she comes to Earth to find a gizmo that along with Jamie's powers can fix the universe. It started at Image and the creators formed their own company called Hyperwerks, then finally came back to Image where they published a double sized special one-shot called Deity: Requiem, the writer Robert Napton was going to write an illustrated novelization based on the comics, I don't if this ever happened.

Deity was and still is a guilty pleasure book it's got some great ideas but it's also got that 90s Image problem that it's trying very hard to launch a new universe and wants very badly to be a multimedia property. If you can get through some of the artwork (it's not as bad as some but it's got problems), it's a fun read if you can find all the bloody mini-series and one-shots. I would like to see this get reprinted in either a giant TPB or maybe a soft cover omnibus like the ones that Dark Horse published for Grendel and IDW did for The Fallen Angel I'm not sure it's big enough for a Marvel or DC oversized hardcover omnibus.
    Last edited by Cyberstrike; 12-17-2023 at 04:35 PM.

Incredible Member

Actually, I do. I have several of the issues, random and not in order, so I’m not in sure which order the story is in, but I grabbed them from out of a dollar box several years ago. I remember grabbing a ton of comics such as this and one book called Ka-Boom!, because the artwork and coloring jumped out at me.

Quote Originally Posted by Blanks View Post
    Actually, I do. I have several of the issues, random and not in order, so I’m not in sure which order the story is in, but I grabbed them from out of a dollar box several years ago. I remember grabbing a ton of comics such as this and one book called Ka-Boom!, because the artwork and coloring jumped out at me.
    Well the website for http://www.hyperwerks.com/index.html is still around, but it's most likely abandoned but it still has info on the reading order for Deity. There are also a few previews and a #0 published by Hyperwerks after they completed the original six issues for Image and another problem is all of the bloody variant covers for all these series there are a LOT of these damn things (I hated them in 90s and I still hate them now). You can find the books on eBay and at various online comic book stores. The prices for the books can be cheap but the S&H will get you.

Astonishing Member

I have all the issues but I haven't had a chance to read them yet. I only bought them because they were briefly co-owned by Awesome Comics.