Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I loved it in its own right. I thought that the series became demonstrably better when they gave up the conceit that Bruce wasn't living in Wayne Manor but instead in ultra luxe apt in the city with its own bat cave space. Also they couldn't ditch that Insane Clown Posse straitjacket wearing Joker design fast enough. High marks for the visual designs by Jeff Matsuda otherwise. Casting was great - finally Gina Gershon as Catwoman, if only by voice!
    LOVED how they had Batgirl be the first "partner" for Batman that he fought against having and then had Robin breeze in and have an easier time joining the Batfamily. It made for good story.
    And all respect to U2 and The Edge, the theme from latter seasons was far superior to the earlier version.

Protected by the Comics Code Authority
    YES Capes. YES Masks. YES Secret Identities.

Protected by the Comics Code Authority
    YES Capes. YES Masks. YES Secret Identities.

Mighty Member

Yeah, I don't know if that whole "Batman show no one talks about" tag fits this show anymore. It's gotten a lot of goodwill these past few years.
    My blog. Latest entry: November 5th, 2022

Incredible Member

A rather decent series with some interesting character designs.

my main gripes were:
    1) Overuse of Joker and Penguin (resulting in some villains being underutilized)
    2) Two-Face, Scarecrow, Mad Hatter and Ra's Al Ghul were no-shows

Quote Originally Posted by Multiverse View Post
    2) Two-Face, Scarecrow, Mad Hatter and Ra's Al Ghul were no-shows
    At least some of that was down to the Nolan movies preventing them from using those villains.

They also kind of wrote around it with Clayface basically being their version of Two-Face. Scarecrow was also this close to being used.

Mighty Member

Yeah, they got far enough to design Scarecrow, and it was a cool design too. Though I think using him in the episode "Strange New World" as intended would've ruined the twist.
    My blog. Latest entry: November 5th, 2022

I have to watch more of this show - only watched the first season and a few episodes from later seasons. It's good, but I really don't like the art style at all, and some of the character designs are poor. To be honest, I think Alfred looks like a free clipart image of a butler. I appreciate wanting to do something different, but for some reason the art style makes the show feel cheaper or more kiddy to me, and I don't even find the style to be as consistent from character to character as I would like. Still seems like a pretty fun show and I like that it starts with a younger, less experienced Batman. I'll get back to it eventually.

Astonishing Member kingaliencracker's Avatar

I watched it sporadically when it originally aired but took the time to watch the whole series a few years ago.

I really liked it. It will never be better than TAS, but that's an extremely high bar to reach considering TAS is considered one of the greatest animated shows of all-time, if not THE greatest.

I still think my biggest issues are the overall look (a bit too conforming to other animated series of its time) and the fact that it initially spent its first two seasons trying to be very different from the source material, only to spend its last seasons essentially conforming to the Batman status quo. But moving beyond those two gripes, it really is an entertaining Batman cartoon.

Astonishing Member

I had seen an episode or two back in the day, but wasn't compelled to watch more than that. Recently added it to my Netflix list and watched the first episode. It was decent enough that I'll continue watching. I really dislike the way Bruce's face is drawn -- guessing that's an anime influence. I wasn't crazy about the Joker being so athletic --- where did that come from? But he was still pretty close to classic Joker.

I had some issues with BTAS, but over all think it's a tough act to follow. The 2000s Batman didn't do anything well enough to escape the shadow of that series.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Thirteen View Post
    And all respect to U2 and The Edge, the theme from latter seasons was far superior to the earlier version.

They are both good themes, but I prefer the original theme. It was a bit more subdued and modern. The later one has a very 1970s feel that seemed to contradict the animation style.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4qLo_-OS8M