Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Depowered

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    And that's a missed opportunity for me. A story about A) a depowered mutant who doesn't want to be repowered and / or B) a story about a resurrected mutant who didn't *want* to come back.

I feel like that story was *right there,* with Josh 'Jay' Guthrie/Icarus. He cut his own wings off, and violently freaked at the idea of Elixir healing him to grow them back. Then he dies, murdered after betraying his class to some bus-splodin' psychos.

Then he's back, in the crowd, at Melody Guthrie's Crucible, watching his little sister get herself murdered for a chance to be resurrected with her powers back.

Did he have a single feeling on these matters? His rebirth? His re-empowerment? His sister basically committing suicide for a chance to get back what he mutilated himself and got killed a dozen of his classmates to get away from? Do any of the former friends and classmates who blew up on that bus resent him even a little bit for his betrayal getting them blown to bits? (For that matter are they pissy with Emma for sending them away from the protection of the school, despite the targets on their heads?)

Don't know. And apparently the writers didn't care.

It's a powerful story, and cuts to the very heart of Krakoa's resurrection process and the Crucible and the thorny issue of mutant identity and *choice.* People in much of the world have slowly become able to choose nationality or religion, despite not always being afforded those choices. We are slowly, ever so painfully, with far too much histrionic gnashing of teeth and rending of garments, transitioning into a world where you can choose your gender. But to choose to be another *race* entirely? To NOT be a mutant? (As Jay Guthrie chose.) To BECOME a mutant? (As Sinister chose, and Kwannon maybe, who knows, had chosen for her when she was mashed up with mutant Betsy and somehow an X-gene fell into her soup?)
    I concur. I wonder where the whole resurrection storyline was headed before writers changed. The whole thing was so cultish and creepy.

One mutant that probably didn’t want to be resurrected was Michael Nowlan who’s probably drug addled and living on the streets.
    TO KNOW HER IS TO FEAR HER: JESSICA DREW THE SPIDER-WOMAN
    BE SURE TO CHECK OUT THE NEW 2024 SPIDER-WOMAN SERIES by STEVE FOXE!!!

MISSING:
    Synch's Aura
    Northstar and Aurora's shiny hair
    Spider-Woman’s cowl costume

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by danielsan52 View Post
    I concur. I wonder where the whole resurrection storyline was headed before writers changed. The whole thing was so cultish and creepy.

One mutant that probably didn’t want to be resurrected was Michael Nowlan who’s probably drug addled and living on the streets.
    Actually Ewing did in fact namedrop Nowlan in an early SWORD issue. He was listed on a data page as a possible alternative to Cortez in the SWORD division structure and the mysterium mining circuit. Brand tried to recruit him after he was resurrected but upon learning that there was no way to bring back his girlfriend who'd died w/him, as she'd been human and had no back-up at the time, Nowlan was like 'hard pass.'

Quote Originally Posted by danielsan52 View Post
    List of mutants that are still depowered as far as we know.

List is from New Avengers 18, I removed those repowered and/or dead. Would have been interesting to see Orchis go after them first.

The list:

Angel Dust (Christina)
    Armena Ortega
    Artie Maddicks
    Arturo Falcone
    Blind Faith (Alexi Garnoff)
    Bora (Anzhela Federova)
    Brass (Sean Watanabe)
    Caiman
    El Conquistador (Miguel Provenza)
    El Águila (Alejandro Montoya)
    Gloom (Jordan Lewis)
    Hack
    Hanna Levy
    Hazard (Carter Ryking)
    Hub
    Hybrid (James Marks)
    Jon Spectre
    Key (Lachlan Patterson)
    King Bedlam (Christopher Aaronson)
    Kiwi Black
    Lara The Illusionist (Lara King)
    Lightning Rod
    Longneck (William Hanover)
    Mary Zero
    Maverick
    Mist Mistress
    Monsoon (Aloba Dastoor)
    Murmur (Arlette Truffaut)
    Murmur (Allan Rennie)
    Nightwind
    Overrider (Richard Rennselaer)
    Shocker (Randall Darby)
    Paul Patterson
    Postman (David)
    Preview (Jessica Vale)
    Quill (Resistants)
    Radian/Phaser (Christian Cord)
    Redneck/Skybolt (Vincent Stewart)
    Scanner (Sarah Ryall)
    Shatter
    Randall Shire
    Shola Inkose
    Skywalker
    Slick (Quincy Marrow)
    Spoilsport
    Tantra (Reuben O'Hara)
    Tattoo/Longstrike (Christine Cord)
    Tether
    Windshear (Colin Hume)
    Wraith (Hector Rendoza)
    Zach Halliwell

Am I missing or not remove anyone?

Sheesh, with the exception of El Aguila, I've never head of ANY of these characters. (The only Conquistador that I know was the one involved in the origin of the Beast.)
    Sandy Hausler
    DC Boards Moderator (along with The Darknight Detective (who has a much cooler name that I do))
    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy Hausler View Post
    Sheesh, with the exception of El Aguila, I've never head of ANY of these characters. (The only Conquistador that I know was the one involved in the origin of the Beast.)
    Yeah, it's some obscure folks. I'm an OCD nut for knowing obscure details, being a Legion of Super-Heroes fan (25 active members! Dozens more over the years/continuities!), and I only knew of 26 of them and some only by reputation (never seen anything with Kiwi Black, for instance) or from other adaptations (only know Angel Dust from the Deadpool movie). But that leaves at least 20 I have no idea about, thanks so much for including links to all of them danielsan52!

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    Yeah, it's some obscure folks. I'm an OCD nut for knowing obscure details, being a Legion of Super-Heroes fan (25 active members! Dozens more over the years/continuities!), and I only knew of 26 of them and some only by reputation (never seen anything with Kiwi Black, for instance) or from other adaptations (only know Angel Dust from the Deadpool movie). But that leaves at least 20 I have no idea about, thanks so much for including links to all of them danielsan52!
    Thank you!

Just added Antonio Argent to the list.

MISSING:
    Synch's Aura

Some more Depowered not on list and where they were confirmed. May think of more later.

Various Handbooks - Wall (Mick Patterson), Orange Crusher (Andy Gardner), Johnny Justice (Jonadab Megyscol), Bandit/Night Thrasher II (Donyell Taylor), Bloodlust (Beatta Dubiel), Razorback (Buford T. Hollis)

Bugman - Mutopia

Ed (a Morlock) - X-Men/Spider-Man

Sharon King - She-Hulk

Two that was not Depowered on M-Day but depowered Termite (Iron Man) and Roger Fieldston (X-Men and Captain Universe: Sleeping Giants)
    Last edited by Lonewolf36; 12-27-2023 at 11:44 AM. Reason: Adds

Quote Originally Posted by Lonewolf36 View Post
    Some more Depowered not on list and where they were confirmed. May think of more later.

Various Handbooks - Wall (Mick Patterson), Orange Crusher (Andy Gardner), Johnny Justice (Jonadab Megyscol), Bandit/Night Thrasher II (Donyell Taylor), Bloodlust (Beatta Dubiel), Razorback (Buford T. Hollis)

Bugman - Mutopia

Sharon King - She-Hulk

Two that was not Depowered on M-Day but depowered Termite (Iron Man) and Roger Fieldston (X-Men and Captain Universe: Sleeping Giants)
    Termite rocks! Thanks for the reminder that he exists. Adding him to my 2023 x-vote!
    “Generally, one knows me before hating me” -Quicksilver

Quote Originally Posted by Lonewolf36 View Post

Bugman - Mutopia

Sharon King - She-Hulk

Thanks! List updated!

MISSING:
    Synch's Aura