View Poll Results: Will You Miss The DCEU?

Voters
97. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes - I Will Miss It!

13 13.40%
  • No - Bring On The New Universe!

58 59.79%
  • I’m Indifferent Either Way.

26 26.80%
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    There is a lot more leeway with minor characters like the Guardians than with icons like Superman, whether the devoted fan likes it or not.
    I'm not sure why people act as if that makes it better. Either you have a respect for the source material or you don't. I think only caring about the most popular or mainstream thing is very shallow. If anything, taking an obscure character and altering them beyond recognition is worse, since that's probably the only adaptation and wide exposure they'll ever get.

This doesn't have anything to do with whether or not it's a good movie or not. I love the Burton Batman films, but Im not going to pretend Burton is some great fan of the source material because he certainly isn't. It doesn't make them bad movies, but Burton couldnt have been less interested in the comics. I just think it's hypocritical when people complain about Snyder not understanding the characters (which I don't necessarily disagree with) but then act as if Gunn is some great fan of comics. He literally once said he preferred to do stuff like Suicide Squad because he can't take superheroes seriously. He's arguably worse than Snyder in that regard.

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    Its weird to look back at the original DCEU slate

It took The FLash 5 years from its original date to come out. JL 2 of course scrapped. Cyborg Scrapped. GL scrapped.
    I genuinely think Cyborg’s movie getting announced was just a PR move because they knew the optics of the only black character not having a movie would look bad. Even before BVS came out and got shredded to pieces by critics, there hadn’t been any sort of production update on the Cyborg film. It was a total afterthought.

OP Question - Oh hell no. Most of the live-action movies were horrible, IMHO. DC should stick to animated features where they consistently produce bangers.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

I hadn't properly processed before that DC released 4 movies last year, with Marvel releasing 3 movies (and 3 TV shows). Out of all of that, I'd say 2 were actually good.

The rest is split between bad, meh and enjoyable trash (mostly this, despite the deluge I still enjoy this stuff).

I really hope Gunn is set for 2 movies a year maximum, and he has an insanely high quality threshold.
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

I'm pretty much late in the game due to technical difficulties, but yes, I am going to miss it. It had it's hits and misses, but I felt they've been treated very unfairly due to toxic tribalism especially when Marvel's movies aren't perfect either and that includes their Fox and Sony movies. I miss times when people would get excited to see any comic movie instead of making some kind of smear campaign. Until Rotten Tomatoes came about as I feel that company are very shady and not on the up and up. Movies like Man Of Steel and Batman Vs Superman could've been better and I'm one of the few who thought the theatrical Justice League movie was awesome, though I'm not excusing Joss Whedon's recent behavior towards his cast. Despite how people feel about them, I'm still baffled how the Hell movies like BVS and Justice League could fail. I can't believe bad word of mouth by Rotten Tomatoes and toxic fans would have that much of an impact with movie goers while it seems Marvel Studios could throw in any ridiculous thing in their movies and get praised for it. It's unfortunate WB execs are being controlled by haters and critics which compelled them to not go forward with a Justice League sequel. As for James Gunn's reboot, I'm just not on board with it nor am I a fan of Gunn and his GOTG movies. The first one I decided to see just recently did not resonate with me and I'm surprised it did with many others. To each, their own.

Comic movies has lost their fun due to the tribalistic toxicity going on and not everybody can be on board with the Marvel bandwagon. Just saw Aquaman 2 and I think is way better than all the other DC movies that came out thisnyear. It's also unfortunate we actually got four DC movies in one year, but ends up getting crapped on anyway. I'm pretty much done with comic movies for good and I'm either gonna be too old or on my deathbed before we ever see the Justice League in the big screen again and shudder to think what Gunn has in mind for it as he thinks too highly of himself and can do no wrong. Just remember when people praised Joss Whedon and Bryan Singer for their Marvel movies, but when they switched to DC, their fans have turned on them. The same can happen to Gunn if he ends up not knocking it outta the park.

Anyway, the joy and excitement for comic movies is ruined for me and I'm just done. At least it'll be just horror and sci-fi movies for me. Yeah...
    Last edited by Dr. Skeleton; 01-22-2024 at 02:42 AM.

Astonishing Member WonderLight789's Avatar

No i won't. Wonder Woman as a whole character had a terrible treatment. Weak, super dependent on the memory of a man from 100 years ago. Fodder in the jl movie. So i won't miss the dceu.

Fantastic Member

Will I miss the DCEU?

No. God, no.

It was, overall, a mess.

Some will put the blame solely on WB. And they deserve it, because their first and biggest mistake was essentially having Zack Snyder in the “Showrunner” role.

Snyder clearly does not get the appeal of Superman or other mainstream DC heroes. Because of this, Superman continued his streak of divisive and/or bad movies that flop or underwhelm at the box office. Cavill Superman, IMO, is such a dull version of the character. He doesn’t have much to work with in MOS, and that turned out to be his best DCEU appearance.

Superman and Batman’s first live action team up could’ve and should’ve been a cultural event. Instead, BvS was the event that irreparably damaged the DCEU. Also, it’s largely a self important slog of a film.

One thing Snyder should get credit for is casting Gal Gadot and Jason Momoa as Wonder Woman and Aquaman respectively. Neither are good actors, but have loads of charisma. Still, it’s very telling that both stars only had a bonafide success when Snyder wasn’t directing them.

Justice League should’ve also been a cultural event. Both versions of the film are underwhelming. And make no mistake, JL flopping at the Box Office is very much an indictment on BvS, not just Whedon.

Shazam and Birds of Prey were solid enough, on par with many MCU films.
    The Suicide Squad was much, much better than the original movie, but probably too niche for the general audience. Peacemaker was a good show.

Sidenote: the Snyder fanbase can be pretty toxic, and they don’t really help matters. Even the non extreme fans can be baffling.

Also, it’s pretty silly to blame people for not liking or not wanting to watch these films. No one is obligated to support these movies, and the film industry is a business. It’s not obligated to let you finish your creative vision, and like any job, if you don’t satisfy the boss, you can get fired. At the end of the day, if Snyder didn’t get to complete his story, that’s ultimately on him. He took Intellectual property that doesn’t belong to him, and used a film studios money to deliver divisive or negatively received films that arguably did not meet DC/WB’s BO expectations. By its second or third week, BvS was getting beat by a random Melissa McCarthy film. Blaming fans in this scenario is utterly goofy.

At this point, I am glad to put this version of DC behind me. I don’t think Gunn’s DC will be particularly great either, I’m just hoping to finally get one good Superman film in the 21st Century.