View Poll Results: Will You Miss The DCEU?

Voters
97. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes - I Will Miss It!

13 13.40%
  • No - Bring On The New Universe!

58 59.79%
  • I’m Indifferent Either Way.

26 26.80%
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

I chose indifferent. I loved 4 of the films (MoS, WW, BvS, ZSJL), and the rest were hit or miss for me. Once Josstice League was released, I stopped caring about it as a shared universe, and the tone shift was too abrupt.

But I and pretty much everyone else are ready for something new, and those films will always exist, so I'm not dissatisfied, even though better planning could have salvaged something out of the original cast.

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    The DCEU wasnt well known for its connective tissue between films

The sandwich journey is one of the best ever

This kind of joke is just so pedestrian. You could find it in a dozen quirky Netflix comedies, it's not really why I go to see Birds of Prey.

Quote Originally Posted by Thirteen View Post
    How was the SHAZAMily received? The casting looks good and what Ive seen of Levi seems charming enough...
    I think I took for granted how much they based Mary's current suit on her movie design.

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lightning Rider View Post
    This kind of joke is just so pedestrian. You could find it in a dozen quirky Netflix comedies, it's not really why I go to see Birds of Prey.
    As if 90% if super films aren't the same?

I kind of miss all the talks, discussions, hopes, critics, what we wants there, all the buzz around it. It's feel like the fandom is living thought there are also lot of dissapointments

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by kingaliencracker View Post
    You don't have to treat the source material as a holy bible. RDJ's Tony Stark was virtually nothing like his comic book counterpart, but his portrayal is universally regarded as one of the greatest of all-time. Similarly, Gunn certainly took liberties with GotG, but they were amazing movies.

I didn't even get into the original Superman or Batman movies.
    RDJ had a lot of his own personality into it, but it's disingenuous to say he was "nothing" like the comic version. He basically was the same character with the same core traits and storyline, just with some of the actor's idiosyncrasies added in. The sprit of the character and his story was very much intact.

I didn't say anything about the quality of Gunn's movies. I specifically said it didn't mean they were bad, just that his characters have virtually nothing to do with the source material, even to a larger degree than Snyder.

If people's problem with Snyder was a lack of respect for the source material, I certainly understand that. When those same people defend Gunn, it's ridiculous.

Incredible Member

"What the heck is this...DCEU?"

That's pretty much how much thought I have put into the question on this thread. If the movies, cartoons, television shows, etc. do well in the new year, great. If not? Eh.

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Know View Post
    I posted this earlier in the year when it was announced Gunn was severing ties with all DCEU actors and movies after the Flash bombed. It bears repeating now that Aquaman 2 and Blue Beetle are bombs as well.

~What a difference 7 years and mismanagement can make. I don't blame Zazlov for the current state of DC. I blame the previous administration of Hamada and Sarnoff. They were the ones responsible for charting the DC film's course after they fired Snyder in 2017 in the middle of Justice League. But they never found a new captain or came up with a new plan for their connected film universe.
    They had no option but to fire Snyder, afterwards it was management by crisis. The BIG mistake was to make Snyder as the architect of their Universe. DCEU was dead after BvS, it limped after the success of WW and Aquaman to slowly fading.
    Zaslav is not to blame, but he has contributed to destroy the few good parts of DCEU. I think Gunn is not the right choice and from the slate of movies, I fear it will be catastrophic.

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Know View Post

WB did this to themselves and for what reason, idk why. The audience wanted more Superman and Batman and WB was steadfast in rejecting that idea.

WB had it all and did nothing with it but waste it. They have no one but themselves to blame. What a waste of and opportunity, talent and audience good will.
    Respectfully Disagree, The audience after BvS ditched DC, snyder cultists might have wanted more Superman or Batman together, but as Box Office has shown MoS was not even close to WW. WHen Superman is far more famous than Diana. If there is Superhero fatigue, there can be a superman fatigue factor to keep in mind. With exception of the 2 Donner movies, the rest of his movies haven't fared well. I love Clark, but the plot must be worthy of the character, for his movies to be successful. Fans alone don't make a movie profitable you need general audiences and some of that audience find him boring. As for Bruce, not even he could break into the 1billion barrier, although that movie came when the DCEU was in fast decline. However that unknown likes as Captain Marvel and Black Panther did better than Batman says much. After Wonder Woman first movie, one of the most common comments was "finally a non superman movie from Dc"

Case in point, the DCEU trying to replicate the MCU formula. With WB not understanding why the MCU was successful. The MCU started with it's big name characters (Captain America, Thor, Iron Man) and kept them at the center of the Infinity Saga story events. They used them to introduce smaller characters, kept them (mainly Iron Man) the focus of the Avenger's mega-events and then slowly phased in the obscure characters. Looking at how the MCU is on the decline now with Phase 4 and Phase 5. As they have run out of big name characters to tell stories about.
    I agree that they tried to replicate, but I don't think copying is the way forward, copying will always be a copy not the original. Problem with DC they tried to introduce the big names, but they did it in movies that gave the entire franchise a bad name. They never recovered from that point albeit Wonder Woman 1 and Aquaman 1.
    The later is a case in point how they mishandled a property that gave them success. First of all, it took them 5 years to make the sequel, when it should have been on fast track. Secondly you don't let your main lead write the sequel, who came up with a confused plot, you don't change a winning horse. Third, either you recast your female lead or else keep her and don't reduce her screen time, it what turned to be a movie without emotions due to all changes done.

WB has done movies of its biggest characters, Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Aquaman and Flash. Only Green Lantern is missing in the DCEU although he had a movie before it started.

The DCEU was just doomed to fail from the beginning.

1. Handing Snyder the reigns after MoS wasnt even a huge hit
    2. WB execs caring about nothing but their bonus's
    3. Not allowing Snyder to properly finish JL
    4. Not scraping JL entirely and starting from scratch
    5. The JW drama
    6. Directors of solo movies not believing in Snyders vision and wanting to break from it
    7. Affleck not being able to take the negative reviews of BvS followed by JL paired with his personal life issues and thus quitting
    8. Ezra drama
    9. Amber drama
    10. Henry vs studio drama
    11. Hamada wanting to do a soft reboot
    12. The Rock drama
    13. Green Lantern wasting away money with 2-3 years in constant development for some unknown reason

We went from Snyders vision of the DCEU to Hamadas vision of the DCEU to The Rocks vision of the DCEU

The Pine Barrens NJ in Summer & Winter & Salem Mass. in Spring & Autumn

Quote Originally Posted by Cap808 View Post
    The one thing I will miss is Jason Momoa as Aquaman. Even with the "all he does is talk to the fish", jokes, he made Aquaman a legitimate badass.
    Loved the Aquaman movies and wanted to see Ben Affleck in a solo Batman movie yet I would have loved to see a Team 7 movie instead of Suicide Squad also, while I liked the Flash movie with the exception of Ezri Miller(Grant RULES) as the Flash I was a fan of the Snyderverse & I would have loved to see that post apocalypse future Elseworlds Justcice League team that Batman envisioned in the Justice League movie.
    I hope that James Gunn becomes an improvement everyone thinks he will be.
    Last edited by red winter; 12-30-2023 at 10:39 AM.
    Beware of spies traveling through your multiverse especially if they wear a 4

Incredible Member Captain Britain of Earth 20's Avatar

Even though I liked the Aquaman movies DC needs to realise there's more than the Superman Batman and Wonder Woman.
    Be yourself everyone is taken !! I'm an X-Man trapped in the DC omniverse

Its weird to look back at the original DCEU slate

It took The FLash 5 years from its original date to come out. JL 2 of course scrapped. Cyborg Scrapped. GL scrapped.

Incredible Member

I feel like this was the last remnants of Cyborg being on the Justice League

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Britain of Earth 20 View Post
    Even though I liked the Aquaman movies DC needs to realise there's more than the Superman Batman and Wonder Woman.
    They do ... there's also Harley Quinn. And after Barbie, if Robbie has any interest in producing more HQ movies, I can't imagine DC saying no to her.

Quote Originally Posted by Refrax5 View Post
    RDJ had a lot of his own personality into it, but it's disingenuous to say he was "nothing" like the comic version. He basically was the same character with the same core traits and storyline, just with some of the actor's idiosyncrasies added in. The sprit of the character and his story was very much intact.

I didn't say anything about the quality of Gunn's movies. I specifically said it didn't mean they were bad, just that his characters have virtually nothing to do with the source material, even to a larger degree than Snyder.

If people's problem with Snyder was a lack of respect for the source material, I certainly understand that. When those same people defend Gunn, it's ridiculous.
    There is a lot more leeway with minor characters like the Guardians than with icons like Superman, whether the devoted fan likes it or not.
    Dark does not mean deep.