Default Disney Responds to Public Domain Mickey--with threat!

Remember how movies are not the same pd rules as books. A bugs bunny cartoon can go into pd but not the character. True. Unless it's over 90 years old! Then it is the same rules as books! Steamboat willie and plane craze scrapper mickey will be pd next year for anyone to use. But only the scrapper versions of mickey, minnie and pete.

Disney made a response to that at last--by threat!

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    Remember how movies are not the same pd rules as books. A bugs bunny cartoon can go into pd but not the character. True. Unless it's over 90 years old! Then it is the same rules as books! Steamboat willie and plane craze scrapper mickey will be pd next year for anyone to use. But only the scrapper versions of mickey, minnie and pete.

Disney made a response to that at last--by threat!

Dear god, that is the worst announcer I've ever heard anywhere. Where's Mike Adamle to narrate this thing?

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

I'm not going to reward a click bate video...what's the actual response and does it come from a reputable source?
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    I'm not going to reward a click bate video...what's the actual response and does it come from a reputable source?
    Here's a response via Facebook from Dave Alvarez, who's worked with Disney and animation.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Alvarez
    First of all, let me assure you that Disney has the Mouse very well protected and that their lawyers are sitting there, quietly waiting for someone to get out of line.
    A gray line situation perhaps.

The media has gone crazy proclaiming that Mickey Mouse is in the public domain.

Well that's true and it's NOT true at the same time.

What's in the public domain?
    -The 1928 Steamboat Willie version is. (The 'Plane Crazy' version as well.)
    In short, Mickey in black and white with no gloves.

Oh! So that means that we all own Mickey Mouse now?
    -No. Mickey Mouse as a character, is still protected by the Copyright laws and Trademark.

What's the difference between Copyright and Trademark?
    -Copyrights primarily protect the rights of people who create literary, dramatic, musical, artistic, and certain other original works (like history tests, and software code). Trademarks can protect the use of a company's name and its product names, brand identity (like logos), and slogans.

What can't I do?
    -You CAN'T create another black and white mouse and call it Mickey Mouse.
    -You CAN'T market or sell the image of Mickey Mouse. So you better shelf those bed sheet and blankets ideas.
    -The Copyright law didn't give you a New Year's gift. You DON'T own Mickey Mouse.
    -You CAN'T use the name "Mickey Mouse".

What can I do?
    - The public has gained the right to creatively use the first black-and-white Disney characters strictly as they appear in the 1928 animated short film “Steamboat Willie,” as well as that year’s silent version of the short film “Plane Crazy.”
    -You CAN use Mickey and Minnie from ‘Steamboat Willie’ and ‘Plane Crazy,’ but you cannot use the aggregated later Mickey that, for example, appears in 'Fantasia.’
    2024 looks like a busy year for Disney lawyers. Many don't get this and I blame the media for half-informing people.

The more modern versions of Mickey will remain unaffected by the expiration of the ‘Steamboat Willie’ copyright, and Mickey will continue to be the Disney symbol as we all know.
    Given the source, I think this is reliable information as to what people can and cannot do with the expiration of the 'Steamboat Willie' copyright.

That being said, there are now two horror-themed movies in the works. One is 'Mickey's Mouse Trap': if the plot synopsis is correct, it doesn't feature a character actually named Mickey Mouse, but DOES have a killer wearing a Mickey mask.

And the other is a 'Steamboat Willie' horror movie set aboard a steamboat with a character named 'Steamboat Willie', not Mickey Mouse.

They're still coasting on the recognition, but as far as I know, they're making sure they're not using any post-Steamboat Willie Mickey Mouse material, which is still under copyright. And they're not using any trademarked logos or insignias that Disney still owns.

In Disney's opinion.

Courts will end up working out the boundaries.

Like, you probably can't market a character as "Mickey Mouse", but can probably name a character that. Wasn't this how the whole "Shazam!" title came about? DC can call the character Captain Marvel, but not the book.

EDIT: Unless maybe the name didn't exist yet? Was the character named in those cartoons yet?

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Lang View Post
    Here's a response via Facebook from Dave Alvarez, who's worked with Disney and animation.

Given the source, I think this is reliable information as to what people can and cannot do with the expiration of the 'Steamboat Willie' copyright.

That being said, there are now two horror-themed movies in the works. One is 'Mickey's Mouse Trap': if the plot synopsis is correct, it doesn't feature a character actually named Mickey Mouse, but DOES have a killer wearing a Mickey mask.

And the other is a 'Steamboat Willie' horror movie set aboard a steamboat with a character named 'Steamboat Willie', not Mickey Mouse.

They're still coasting on the recognition, but as far as I know, they're making sure they're not using any post-Steamboat Willie Mickey Mouse material, which is still under copyright. And they're not using any trademarked logos or insignias that Disney still owns.
    None of that is new though, that's just what it means to be in the public domain not an actual response one way or the other.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Why do they care? It's a nothing horror movie..

And, per usual, the lawyers benefit the most.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    None of that is new though, that's just what it means to be in the public domain not an actual response one way or the other.
    I think most folks know and understand that.

Mainly the ones who are doing all this stuff probably understand that.

-You CAN'T market or sell the image of Mickey Mouse. So you better shelf those bed sheet and blankets ideas.
    He must not go to comic cons or Esty or other online sites.